AAU Top 100

truthsquad

Each region has 1 top 100 tournament. I dont know how thats not fair. Why would it be fair to put more in the west when they have the least wrestlers centered geographically? We are just unfortunate our state is shaped the way it is and that Memphis doesnt traditionally have strong numbers. That being said its important we support each other to make this thing work. Even though I havent seen any Memphis kids this year in our top 100 tournaments we have had I am about to enter 12 Red Raiders. I tried to bring more but we have an ice storm coming and the Baylor vs McCallie match tomorrow night. Hopefully others will support the west in their tournament as well.

Wait...I'm confused. You say each region only has 1 Top 100 tournament, then you said you haven't seen any Memphis kids at any of your top 100 tournaments this year???

I understand that there is only 1 top 100 REGIONAL tournament, but each region has several top 100 tournaments during the season. Which is my point. Only 1 of those top 100 tournaments is within 200 miles of Memphis, besides the REGIONAL which is 166 miles away. How many top 100 tournaments do you have within 200 miles???

Edited by TO338

Wait...I'm confused. You say each region only has 1 Top 100 tournament, then you said you haven't seen any Memphis kids at any of your top 100 tournaments this year???

I understand that there is only 1 top 100 REGIONAL tournament, but each region has several top 100 tournaments during the season. Which is my point. Only 1 of those top 100 tournaments is within 200 miles of Memphis, besides the REGIONAL which is 166 miles away. How many top 100 tournaments do you have within 200 miles???

There are 5 regions. Region 1, 2, 3, and 5 each have ONE Top 100 tournament. Where are you getting that each region has several of them throughout the year? Region 4 doesn't even have one at all this year.

Each region has one top 100 tournament except for region 4 &5 which are combined this year. Next year there will be 5 top 100 tournaments. When I said I havent seen any Memphis kids I meant at the Chattanooga top 100 or the Pigeon Forge top 100. I understand its a long way to travel for you guys but its also the same for people traveling to your area as well. They are apprehensive due to the lack of numbers. Our local non top 100 tournaments usually have 300 kids and thats without a middle school division. We have to work together to make this work and hopefully we can do so. I was hoping you guys would get more support from the other regions on this tournament and I had no idea region 4 & 5 would have such low numbers. My parents are wanting to back out but I think I have convinced them not to as I feel its important to support you all out west to make our state stronger. While the overall numbers are very low there are some very quality wrestlers from your side of the state and we look forward to competing against them. I do hope you will do your best to get the kids as many matches as possible. Since the numbers are this small hopefully we can do round robins even on 5 man weight classes. I noticed some weights with 1 or two wrestlers. What we have done in that situation is to combine weights in a round robin format. You have to have a true place winner for each weight for the top 100 points but you can combine two weights in a round robin and just count their wins against kids in their own weights for the true placings for that weight class. Im sure you guys all well equipted to handle this so dont take my suggestions the wrong way. Ive just assured my parents their kids would get plenty of matches so Im trying to avoid any problems.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Ah...I get it. My bad. I'm sorry about that. I didn't pick up that the system has obviously been revamped this year. Which is a good thing, and was necessary.

In the past, there were many Top 100 tournaments throughout the season, and they were all listed on the tnyouthwrestling.com/schedule. I looked at it assuming it was like it used to be and that most all of them were considered Top 100.

Well, let me back up and punt. Great job in realizing that the Top 100 needed to be changed, and going ahead and changing it. With that said...I was wrong...keep up the good work!

Pretty sad that the Top 100 in the West has less than 300 and the Whitwell tournament has 200. Just shows what I've said for a while, Chattanooga moans and complains when they don't get participation but not a lot of reciprication. How do we expect to grow the state if we can't get participation in all areas. How about not offering another aau tournament in the state on the same day at Top 100?

I know you all aren't the brightest over there in Chattown, but Mapquest can get you there.

Step up Chattanooga!!!!!

Pretty sad that the Top 100 in the West has less than 300 and the Whitwell tournament has 200. Just shows what I've said for a while, Chattanooga moans and complains when they don't get participation but not a lot of reciprication. How do we expect to grow the state if we can't get participation in all areas. How about not offering another aau tournament in the state on the same day at Top 100?

I know you all aren't the brightest over there in Chattown, but Mapquest can get you there.

Step up Chattanooga!!!!!

I am going to break this down for you as simple as possible. Each region was divided up to get the numbers as equal as possible. This weeks top 100 is for region 4&5 together. I would ask the question "where are own wrestlers at" before I complained about wrestlers 6 hours away in a pending ice storm. Chattanooga and Knoxville are sending 100 times more wrestlers than they received from Memphis for their top 100 tournaments. Where are all the Memphis and west Nashville wrestlers? Why are they not supporting your own tournament? Chattanooga can't bring any middle school age kids because their league just started and they are ineligible until their season is over due to stupid tmssaa rules. Also it appears there is some middle school state duals in Nashville that hurt your numbers. I will be there this weekend. Please come introduce yourself and we can discuss some of your ideas and complaints.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Maybe the West didn't send any to your tournament because we are fed up with exactly what were getting back, nothing. For the past 5 years there have litterally been 100's of wrestlers at the Chattanooga tournaments and the payback ratio may be 10 to 1.

Since Chattanooga was brought into the AAU mix 6 years ago (I think), there has been a lot of wrestlers traveling to your town for various tournaments. AAU gave you state tournaments, even though your gym (McCallie) didn't hold the required number of mats according to AAU standards. The rest of the state supports you! Most of your tournaments are always over 500 kids because all other parts of the state contribute. The tournaments in other cities seem to average around 400 and usually there are maybe 20-30 of those from Chattanooga.

Youthcoach--I know you can't force other teams to travel, and we appreciate that you guys at least do your part (sometimes), but we all crow about improving all areas when in reality we are not doing as much as would could be.

I know there are always "reasons" why this team or that can't travel on any given weekend, but it seems there is always an excuse when it comes to showing up out of town for the majority of Chattanooga area youth wrestlers.

I know for a fact that clubs, coaches, and parents in the West are fed up with the lack of interest in supporting wrestling west of Nashville. Why would anyone from the West pack up and spend money at a Chattanooga club when they know the money is not coming back home. Why wouldn't we send our money to clubs in Indiana at least they reciprocate.

Truthsquad,

You have offically fallen off the cliff on this topic. For you to question Mr. Sutherland's commitment to support all areas of TN youth wrestling in the state is insane. He, along with others from region 1 and 3 are very committed to not only their regions, but all wrestling in the state. I know him personally and you could not ask for a more dedicated supporter for the success of all youth in Tennessee wrestling. You say that he "sometimes" does his part is totally untrue. Mr. Sutherland is at every top 100 tournament, unlike any representatives or wrestlers from the west. Why would he not want region 4 or 5 not to succeed. The point is to make all the state better in wrestling.

The real question is why are your kids from your own region not supporting your own top 100 tournament. There has not been any Memphis area kids attend the first 2 top 100's, but i know of at least 12-15 kids from the club I'm associated with coming to the top 100 this weekend. Do you really think kids from region 1 or 3 are gonna drive out there for any local weekend tournaments when they can wrestle in there own region? No and that doesnt even make sense. These Top 100's were created to bring the whole state together to compete in a more competitive tournament and to promote youth wrestling all across the state, and the wrestlers from region 3 support all top 100's. Also, you want to question the support region 1 and 3 give, Nashville and Memphis have 2 million people and Chattanogoa has about 300,000, and Chattanooga still sends kids to more tournaments across the state than any other region. Who really is giving more support? Maybe you need to solve your own regions problems before you start going on this public forum and questioning the support other regions like 1 and 3 are giving Memphis/Nashville.

Sounds like to me you just have an axe to grind with certain AAU members or you just dont lke the Chattanooga region due to the success that comes out of region 3.

I promise you Mr. Sutherland will not be hard to find tomorrow if you would like to discuss any of the issues that you have brought up, anyone there will be able to point him out.