David Vaughn is best high school player ever in tennessee

Chickhot

Marques Maybin Clarksville Northwest/Louisville. Johnny Lynn Beech/Auburn, Ron Huery Whitehaven/Arkansas were better high school players than David Vaughn. Jeff Arms at Celina was a better high school player than Vaughn. I could keep naming more, chickenhot, but is there really any point? Your post was laughable at best. Tell DV (or yourself) hello.

Think Jeff Arms might be stretching it a bit. IMO he wasn't the best player on his own team! Most exciting..definitly! Best...Joey Coe!

There have been many great high school players in Tennessee over the years. David Vaughn belongs in the discussion. However, it's difficult to compare eras because the game has changed so much as time has passed.

I agree with most of the names here, but wanted to throw out a couple from way back:

1. Elston Turner - great player at Austin-East in the 70s who went on to a great career at Ole Miss and played in the NBA for a long time.

2. Chris Jones - great player at Cocke County who went on to be an All-American at Carson-Newman in the 1960s and played in the NBA with the Cincinnati Royals. This was much more difficult to do back then because there were only 10-12 NBA franchises. He had the misfortune of playing the same position as Oscar Robertson, who was with the Royals at the time.

Think Jeff Arms might be stretching it a bit. IMO he wasn't the best player on his own team! Most exciting..definitly! Best...Joey Coe!

Joey was the best player on the team in his senior year of 1985. Jeff was a junior then as was my former teammate Tracey Strong.

In 1986, Jeff Arms was dominant. He put on a show that year in the TN all-star game at Vandy. All three scored around 2000 points for their high school careers.

Question: Is the Coe girl at Jackson County related to Joey? She is pretty good as well.

Joey was the best player on the team in his senior year of 1985. Jeff was a junior then as was my former teammate Tracey Strong.

In 1986, Jeff Arms was dominant. He put on a show that year in the TN all-star game at Vandy. All three scored around 2000 points for their high school careers.

Question: Is the Coe girl at Jackson County related to Joey? She is pretty good as well.

Yep! His daughter! See why she is so good?

Tony Harris

CJ Black

Earnest Shelton

Trenton Hassell

Shawn Marion

Vincent Yarbrough

Halston Lane

Lee Humphrey

Corey Brewer

Wayne Chism

Willy Kemp

Tyler Smith

Trey Pearson

A guy I watched years ago could have been an NBA player had he had his head on straight. His name is Lester Witted. He was by far the best basketball player I ever seen at Alcoa.

If I remember correctly, that team averaged over 100 points a game in 1985 and were unfortunate to run into Bolton and Sylvester Gray in the opening round of state that year and the year before. I saw Arms get a 360 dunk once that any NBA player would have been envious of! They were certainly very fun to watch!

Obviously a very subjective topic. Obviously, the bulk of greatest hs players ever from TN came from west side of state. My list might be better called, "some of the best high school players I ever got to see play" ... with most being from East TN cause that's where I've been. Have had the opportunity to see a few from West TN play in state tournament. No particular order:

Elston Turner - Austin East

Chris Gettlefinger -- Knox Catholic

Jon Johnson -- Bearden

Kenny Teffeteller -- Everett

Stan Ballard -- William Blount

Kelvin Richardson -- Alcoa

Travis Stinnett -- Alcoa

Lee Humphrey -- Maryville

John Jenkins -- Station Camp

Jalen Steele -- Fulton

Taureen Moy -- B.T. Washington

Orlando Lightfoot -- Chattanooga City

Leslie McDonald -- Briarcrest

*Here's one that some old timers from Memphis / Bolton might help me with. Cannot remember his name, but my sophomore year of high school, my team, Friendsville, made it to state tournament. We played Bolton first round and got drilled. They had a post player that dominated us, seems like he had signed with Ole Miss, but not positive. The year would have been 1977-78. Anyone know the name? This guy could play the game!!!

I watched Arms in the region at Watertown in 86 get a steal and dribble down with the guy right beside him and them just jump and two hand reverse on a dead run while looking down at the poor kid. Crazy hops. Later played softball against him. He could mash that as well. Last I heard he was a border patrol agent out west. He was married at one time to a girl that went to Baxter with my wife.

I figured that had to be Joey's daughter. I haven't seen him since he was coaching. Is Strong still up that way? Haven't seen him in 20 years.

I watched Arms in the region at Watertown in 86 get a steal and dribble down with the guy right beside him and them just jump and two hand reverse on a dead run while looking down at the poor kid. Crazy hops. Later played softball against him. He could mash that as well. Last I heard he was a border patrol agent out west. He was married at one time to a girl that went to Baxter with my wife.

I figured that had to be Joey's daughter. I haven't seen him since he was coaching. Is Strong still up that way? Haven't seen him in 20 years.

Haven't heard Strong mentioned in quite a while.