Middle Tennessee Dream Team

rasslinlite

I was thinking the exact same thing...Pierce gets my vote. But like Coach K said, if there wasn't anybody from the school represented he didn't get the vote.

Seems like it is a great system. Lets have a handful of coaches come out and vote for the best wrestler before the tournament.

Seems like it is a great system. Lets have a handful of coaches come out and vote for the best wrestler before the tournament.

GoBlue,

Guess what? If your guy deserves it, then the coach should have equal interest to nominate and vote for him. If not, then I suggest that you voice your opinion to him to make it happen.

Dca44,

That's a bold statement... You may be right, however, it looks like two very good D2 wrestlers should also be considered as the best in the state... Pierce Olson, and Ryan Simpson. In fact, Simpson won the Ryan Invitational, and Olson was second in a close match to Marchetti at 145... Barrel

In my opinion Richard is better than Simpson. Though not by much. And if not Richard, i would agree with Olsen

If your guy deserves to be picked..then what does it matter if his high school coach shows up to a meeting that happens before even an individual region tourney even takes place...shouldnt the kids be judged by what they actually acomplish and not whether a coach shows up...way to show the kids....so what you are saying is that a kid doesn't deserve to make the team if his coach cant make the trip to nashville....what happened to winning region then state and then the team is chosen from the actual best kids at state...just an idea

If your guy deserves to be picked..then what does it matter if his high school coach shows up to a meeting that happens before even an individual region tourney even takes place...shouldnt the kids be judged by what they actually acomplish and not whether a coach shows up...way to show the kids....so what you are saying is that a kid doesn't deserve to make the team if his coach cant make the trip to nashville....what happened to winning region then state and then the team is chosen from the actual best kids at state...just an idea

Well, all I am saying is that "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Not that it is a great system but what system is actually great?

In my opinion Richard is better than Simpson. Though not by much. And if not Richard, i would agree with Olsen

Did Simpson not pin the Hendersonville wrestler that pinned Richard? With no head to head and the only common opponent being the Hendersonville wrestler the vote should go to Simpson.

Edited by cbg

I have to agree 100% it should be less of a popularity contest and based more on actual accomplishments during the season. Leave the politics out of it, it should be decided on the mat instead of family/friends/coaches. That's what most of us love about this sport. Seems very familiar to what a lot of us have seen over the years at the youth level, I remember seeing MOW votes lobbied for, collected, and decided before the finals.

I'm not implying that whoever was picked doesn't deserve it, just saying its a bit premature to pick the best before the season is over. With that kind of thinking we all might as well vote for the teams varsity wrestlers instead of letting them challenge and wrestle-off for a weight class. We could just cancel state and award the medalists according to their votes and ranking while we're at it. I admit that's a bit extreme but honestly not much different than this if you think about it.

Just saying, its a great honor so let the wrestlers decide it on the mat. It will mean much more to them, and the voters (famly/friends/coaches). IMO

State placement would be an excellent place to start judging the best from a certain region. Food for thought.

Edited by rlwest40

Did Simpson not pin the Hendersonville wrestler that pinned Richard? With no head to head the and the only common opponent being the Hendersonville wrestler the vote should go to Simpson.

You cant be serious.. Your allowing a Hendersonville kid, who by complete luck was even in that match, be the swing vote? Like i said before, Austin was dominating that match and made a mistake. And because of that mistake your gonna say that he isnt the best. I mean really? Everyone in that gym knew that it was a fluke. Richard is the best 138 in middle tennessee and more people would agree than disagree. The coaches who voted him onto the dream team know he is the best. Thats why they voted him the best. Not Simpson.

Well said

I think a pretty good system would be to do your picking of a tennessee all star team by waiting to see if they actually make it to state...then go from there...i dont care either way....if yall dont want devan on your dream team... no worries this way...i find it sad that the best in mid tn will NOT be the best mid tn has to offer...im sure another team would love to have him...but for now he will concentrate on winning state

Nothing against Richard, but Simpson is obviously the more dominant wrestler. He has won The Middle TN Grand Championsips, the Ryan tournament, the Fandetti Brawl, and placed third at the Prep Slam. Richard has not wrestled in the same caliber of tournaments or matches that Simpson has, that I can reassure. dca44 I have no clue how you could assume Richard could beat Simpson, based strictly on stats. Simpson beat a kid that Richard lost to, therefore i say Simpson wins. That being said, Austin's still a good wrestler. Simpson and Olson are the best 138 pounders in the state and that I can say with no hesitation.

Texas 23 is correct . the wrestlers who make the lists are voted on by the coaches in attendance. there were only around a dozen or so coaches in attendance. The simple fact is that as a Coach if you have a kid who you think deserves a shot you need to be there. As a Coach we know of some of the kids that are good and should be considered but if the coach is not there then there is no information like season record , common opponents, head to head , etc then its hard to put kids up for spots. I do know that PA Bowler sent out an email about the meeting and then another one as a reminder just days before.

Sounds to me this was more of a personal pun on Coach Morris and the great staff he has over at Tullahoma for not showing at your meeting, rather than actually picking the best wrestler. Cyree or.......WHO??? No offense to that kid at all, but seriously? Cyree is one of the best wrestlers in the state, at any weight. I can't say that I'm surprised though, You Middle TN flok always try to put your own twist on things to be a little different. This was not a wise decision when marketing your area to the greats over here in Chattanooga!!! Its ok tho, we will gladly take Cyree off your hands! At least he has a former Chatt area guy as a coach! I'm now very excited to see how this weight plays out!

• Upvote 1