Science Hill 104 Crockett 10

AlumnI01

I was not at the game. I believe it was 75-5 at the end of the first half. That would make it only 29-5 in the second half, so clearly Coach Barnwell took the foot off the gas in the second half some. Science Hill is a national caliber team. Crockett is trying to build a program that has been down for years. The difference in talent level is huge as the score indicates. If Science Hill had pressed for 4 quarters with no running clock, they probably could have scored 200 points. It is of no benefit for them to do so and they did not. I am sure Coach Conley would like his team to be more competitive, but they are not there yet. I would not read too much ill intent into this game. The 100 point mark always stirs up the emotional level. Science Hill is just that much better than Crockett right now. Most coaches will find themselves on both sides of a score like this at some point in their career. Some will score the 100, some will not and people will make a judgement call when they do. It should certainly serve as motivation to improve for the losing team.

I was not at the game. I believe it was 75-5 at the end of the first half. That would make it only 29-5 in the second half, so clearly Coach Barnwell took the foot off the gas in the second half some. Science Hill is a national caliber team. Crockett is trying to build a program that has been down for years. The difference in talent level is huge as the score indicates. If Science Hill had pressed for 4 quarters with no running clock, they probably could have scored 200 points. It is of no benefit for them to do so and they did not. I am sure Coach Conley would like his team to be more competitive, but they are not there yet. I would not read too much ill intent into this game. The 100 point mark always stirs up the emotional level. Science Hill is just that much better than Crockett right now. Most coaches will find themselves on both sides of a score like this at some point in their career. Some will score the 100, some will not and people will make a judgement call when they do. It should certainly serve as motivation to improve for the losing team.

So you're condoning the 75-5 score in the 1st half? Trust me when i say this there is no way this should ever happen. As an avid fan of Jackson County i have watched many games where Coach Brown could have done this same thing on many occasions including some this year, however he calls the dogs off early and i mean he does this by playing his ENTIRE bench in the 1st half and stops pressing after the 1st quarter in alot of games. Science Hill is no where near the program Jackson County is year in and year out so this kind of score is way out of line and this coach should be reprimanded for it!

The hill needs to bring that crap up to Hampton and play a real team the teams in their conference suck same as in football don't b afraid play some of the so called small schools.we are the only ones that even have teams that make any noise down the road.show some class you may get some of that back one day

Please tell me this is a joke. Science Hill has played several of the same teams Hampton has this year and hammered them. Case in point:

Volunteer game. SH wins by 22 the first time they played them and 45 the second time. Hampton played them once and won by 13.

Sullivan South game. SH wins by 33 the first time they played and 32 the second time. Hampton played them once and won by 7.

Dobyns-Bennett game. SH beat the Lady Indians by 36 in their first and only meeting so far this season. Hampton lost to DB by 10 in their only meeting this season.

The only team that played both SH and Hampton close was Morristown West. You can consider this an excuse if you'd like but SH was missing at least 3 starters for that game still won, albeit by 1 point. Was Hampton at full strength when they played Mo West?

I don't think the Lady Toppers would be the least bit intimated to go up and play your Hampton Bulldogs. Hampton's schedule doesn't even come close to the one SH plays(see below) but hey, maybe they could schedule a game for sometime in the future!

As for SH's weak district. I will be the first person to admit they play in a very weak conference, with the exception of TN High and DB. That's why the Lady Toppers schedule a lot of tough out out conference games, attending many tournaments throughout the season to prepare them for State. So far this year, they have gone out of conference to play some of the top teams in the country from GA, CA, MD, IL and KY. They have a signature win against Whitney Young School out of Chicago(#3 team in IL, #58 in the nation), which boasts one of the nation's top players(#5 overall)in Linnae Harper. They also have a win against Troy High out of CA. Ranked #9 in the state of CA and #25 in the nation. The Lady Toppers only 3 losses of the season come to 3 of the nation's top teams: North Gwinnett High out of GA. Ranked #1 in the state of GA and number 14 in the nation. They beat the Lady Toppers by 10. Marion County out of KY. Ranked #1 in the state of KY and number 15 in the nation. They beat the Lady Toppers by 3. Riverdale High out of TN. Ranked #1 in the state of TN and #6 in the nation. They beat the Lady Toppers by 19.

Please tell me this is a joke. Science Hill has played several of the same teams Hampton has this year and hammered them. Case in point:

Volunteer game. SH wins by 22 the first time they played them and 45 the second time. Hampton played them once and won by 13.

Sullivan South game. SH wins by 33 the first time they played and 32 the second time. Hampton played them once and won by 7.

Dobyns-Bennett game. SH beat the Lady Indians by 36 in their first and only meeting so far this season. Hampton lost to DB by 10 in their only meeting this season.

The only team that played both SH and Hampton close was Morristown West. You can consider this an excuse if you'd like but SH was missing at least 3 starters for that game still won, albeit by 1 point. Was Hampton at full strength when they played Mo West?

I don't think the Lady Toppers would be the least bit intimated to go up and play your Hampton Bulldogs. Hampton's schedule doesn't even come close to the one SH plays(see below) but hey, maybe they could schedule a game for sometime in the future!

As for SH's weak district. I will be the first person to admit they play in a very weak conference, with the exception of TN High and DB. That's why the Lady Toppers schedule a lot of tough out out conference games, attending many tournaments throughout the season to prepare them for State. So far this year, they have gone out of conference to play some of the top teams in the country from GA, CA, MD, IL and KY. They have a signature win against Whitney Young School out of Chicago(#3 team in IL, #58 in the nation), which boasts one of the nation's top players(#5 overall)in Linnae Harper. They also have a win against Troy High out of CA. Ranked #9 in the state of CA and #25 in the nation. The Lady Toppers only 3 losses of the season come to 3 of the nation's top teams: North Gwinnett High out of GA. Ranked #1 in the state of GA and number 14 in the nation. They beat the Lady Toppers by 10. Marion County out of KY. Ranked #1 in the state of KY and number 15 in the nation. They beat the Lady Toppers by 3. Riverdale High out of TN. Ranked #1 in the state of TN and #6 in the nation. They beat the Lady Toppers by 19.

Regardless of the fact that SH has a decent team this year it doesn't excuse them for beating a team like this. The elite programs show class in victory and defeat. Beating a team this bad does not portray SH in a good light thats for sure. As for SH going in to Hampton and playing i'm not sure that would be much of a game either. Never seen an elite team come from that area of the state but i'm sure it would be a better game than the one last night.

I was at the game. SH pressed for the first half and played 10 if not 11 kids. They never pressed in the second and played half man. Their Starters were out with 3 to 4 minutes left in the 3rd and didn't play the 4th. Finally the clock did run the whole second half. Final point Riverdale has put 100 on a couple of teams in previous seasons. There is nothing wrong playing for a half. Do you just not play your kids who work everyday to play games just bc the other team could not beat a middle school? Lastly Crockett played THS to 20 or so .... So they are capable of playing well. Maybe SH played lights out for 2 qtrs?!

Regardless of the fact that SH has a decent team this year it doesn't excuse them for beating a team like this. The elite programs show class in victory and defeat. Beating a team this bad does not portray SH in a good light thats for sure. As for SH going in to Hampton and playing i'm not sure that would be much of a game either. Never seen an elite team come from that area of the state but i'm sure it would be a better game than the one last night.

I don't think it would be much of a game either. I was just humoring the Hampton fan who was ragging on SH's "weak" schedule, and wants to see his team play the Lady Toppers.

I don't know TommyMan do you think they should have kept pressing when they got up by 30, 40, 50, 60, or 70 points??? No??? Its just "playing the game hard" and "showing good effort" to press the entire first half and not in the second half!! Part of what you teach those girls in practice is how to win the right way and how to show the personal character of treating others with respect. Second point, if you are up by 70 why would you play your starters at all the second half if you were not trying to run up the score?? Next the running clock is high school basketball rule, not SH showing mercy. Once a team is up by 30 the clock runs for everything but timeouts and free throws! Obviously I guess after 70 it runs non-stop. I have seen Crockett girls play this year and they play hard an give great effort although they are not as talented, so I know they didn't just quit and let this happen. SH intentionally ran up the score! Anyone that was there know how many 3's they shot for the game or just from the 2nd qtr on, after the game was well out of hand? I think it's disgraceful that these girls were humiliated in front of friends, family, and everyone across the state who is keeping up with high school sports. The coach should issue a public apology and the conference issue a public reprimand.

So you are saying to tell SH not to shoot the ball? Just run around and hand the ball to the other team? Crockett were / are supposed to play defense. You know try and not let the other team score. I will give you your point though even if you are from Boone and that's a whole other story even if I think it's wrong.

I guess the Lady Toppers should've been told not to shoot, even if they had a wide-open look. "Hey girls, don't take any more shots. I don't care if you are wide open or not. Just pass the ball until you get a shot clock violation. Just slack off and let them score. We need to show them some pity". Yeah, I think that probably would've been much better for Crockett's self-confidence. This type of game should/will only make Crockett get in the gym and work that much harder.

I wonder if people would care so much if this were a college game? or NBA? I somehow doubt it. People would just be marveling at the score. For example, UCONN's women's basketball first 3 games of this season:

UCONN 105 Indiana University(PA) 28

UCONN 119 Holy Family 50

UCONN 103 College of Charleston 39

I never heard of anyone up in arms over these scores. Why is that? These girls are just a few years older than the SH/Crockett players.

Edited by AlumnI01

This is not a UCONN message board. And yes it is different when you have young 15-18 girls that are participating in an extracurricular activity at their high school. They are not SCHOLARSHIP ATHLETES that are getting 25,000-50,000 to play every year.

THEY WOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN CLOSE TO SCORING 104 AND BEATING THEM BY 94 IF THEY WOULD NOT HAVE PRESSED THE WHOLE FIRST HALF!!!!! AND PLAYED THERE STARTERS THE SECOND HALF!!! THAT'S THE POINT IT!! BARNWELL RAN UP THE SCORE!

Yes you can tell your team not to shoot 3's. You say "hey ladies I want us to run "x" play and I want a lay-up. Lets work on getting the ball to the rim and I don't want you to relax. I want to see hustle and rebounding and good defense, but when we get the ball slow down the pace and let's run a play that gets up a lay-up." You do what you want to do!

It may be time to consider adding a AAAA division in basketball. The huge enrollment schools basically have winning seasons in their down years and championships teams in their good years while the smaller enrollment schools lose badly during their down years and with a couple of great players they may have a championship team once in a blue moon.