Baylor v McCallie ending

ut18vols

Funny, I didn't see the McCallie coaches ask that Baylor's team point not be deducted in the regular season dual when Holloway flung his headgear towards the bench as left the gym after he won and shook hands as required. I am sure they would have if it turned out to be the difference in the match.

actually Cole threw his headgear and it hit the wall in front of the Baylor fans I believe he threw his head gear twice ... b.b.b.

I brought this up with my red legged buddies. Their reply was "Why would he run?" Because he had one bad day with a pretty severe injury? They stated he hadnt even been practicing the last couple of weeks. They also pointed out the fact that Brunner and Connell have been in the same tournaments and Connell has failed to make it to the finals to wrestle him? I think at the prep slam Brunner won if Im not mistaken. If Im not mistaken he beat the kid pretty handily that beat Connell. Also, why would he move up to 138? Also 138 is a much deeper weight class. I would think his challenge match for 138 would be harder than beating Connell. Didnt Connell get beat by Akers who Brunner has owned his entire career also? The kid had one bad day, I would bet the house on him at the state. He won a pretty close on last year vs McCallie on a defensive pin only to come back at the state and dominate his McCallie oponent.

Edited by matsniffer

Did the Baylor coach at least go over and try to get the ref to remove the unsportsmanlike call?

really? do you not realize the the emphasis placed on the baylor / mccallie rivalry? why would a coach try to get a ref to repeal a team win in the biggest rivalry in the south? for any dual meet for that matter? come on! i can assure you the mccallie coaches would have done the same thing ben nelson did in this situation... nothing.

with that being said, i do disagree with the penalty deduction on elsea of mccallie. the kid posted a come from behind victory to end a 16 match losing streak against a rival school... but a win is a win, ugly or not, TBSFBAG will take it!

Go Big Red!

"TBSFBAG will take it!" and that defines your program right there. Ton of respect for the history of the program, some of the great wrestlers of the past, but certainly not headed in the right direction now. Good news there are other options continuing to develop in the Chattanooga area where character and sportsmanship are emphasized ahead of winning.

really? do you not realize the the emphasis placed on the baylor / mccallie rivalry? why would a coach try to get a ref to repeal a team win in the biggest rivalry in the south? for any dual meet for that matter? come on! i can assure you the mccallie coaches would have done the same thing ben nelson did in this situation... nothing.

with that being said, i do disagree with the penalty deduction on elsea of mccallie. the kid posted a come from behind victory to end a 16 match losing streak against a rival school... but a win is a win, ugly or not, TBSFBAG will take it!

Go Big Red!

Just wondering are you saying that The Baylor Wrestling program is going in the wrong direction?

I would really like to know what you think the McCallie Coaching staff would have done if the shoe was on the other foot! The 126 pounder acted out in excitement but every wrestler knows not to leave the mat. Trust me I think every Baylor parent hated to see it happen.

But the Baylor wrestling program is full of tradition as it always has been. The Coaching staff work hard with the boys and I would consider then to be just as good as the past coaches. Just give them time.

A hard lesson learned this past weekend.

The assistant did nothing. But in the mist of all the drama one of the assistant coaches from McCallie was having his say in the matter and the head ref took another team point. Or that's what it looked like from the bleachers. Sad thing that happened but I bet the house not another wrestler from McCallie will ever do it again.

Mocs just hates Baylor. Look through his past posts and the hatred is or jealousy is clear. How is Baylor headed down the wrong path? I know several of these kids and their parents and they are top notch. The ones I know I would put up against anyone in the classroom, practice room or as citizens. I haven't heard one bad thing about any of their kids unlike the horror stories you hear about some of the things you hear from other programs. I don't know the exact rules but I don't think its possible for an opposing coach to have the ref overturn a call. I certainly haven't heard of anyone doing it. Like someone said earlier, did Mccallie offer to overturn the underhanded headgear toss of Holloway in the dual meet? Did McCallie offer to award some of the stalling points that weren't called at the duals or any of the other bad calls? In fact I've heard from the parents I know that there isn't as much emphasis put on winning as there is schoolwork, citizenship and sportsmanship.

Edited by matsniffer

Talk to the current parents, they'll make you a list.

Just wondering are you saying that The Baylor Wrestling program is going in the wrong direction?

I would really like to know what you think the McCallie Coaching staff would have done if the shoe was on the other foot! The 126 pounder acted out in excitement but every wrestler knows not to leave the mat. Trust me I think every Baylor parent hated to see it happen.

But the Baylor wrestling program is full of tradition as it always has been. The Coaching staff work hard with the boys and I would consider then to be just as good as the past coaches. Just give them time.

A hard lesson learned this past weekend.

How many times has this happened in the past and not called? Once again, an official interjecting themself into the match as they did all weekend. I don't know of another state tournament where the officiating was so bad. I lay this at the feet of the TSSAA. They are in charge of selecting these men and it proved to be horrible. I can only hope for the wrestlers sake it is better at the Individual; however, I do not have my hopes up. These young wrestlers work to hard to have an incompetent or not-ready-for-prime-time official to be calling the state. Look all around this past weekend at all of the duals, you saw some of the worst officiating seen by mankind.

Edited by facenthecrowd