Christian Brothers Wins D-II Crown; Back-to-Back

bbb

KB had just set the CBHS career pins record, I believe he took it from my son (ouch), and simply forgot to shake hands. He ran off the mat and began doing sprints after his last match of the day for cardio and began his warm down. After the dual was over and up on the mezzanine, he found the Father Ryan coach and shook the coach's hand. Those are the facts, check with your coach.

So please drop the "Frayser" remarks, not appreciated and I know some good people that came from and live in Frayser.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KB had just set the CBHS career pins record, I believe he took it from my son (ouch), and simply forgot to shake hands. He ran off the mat and began doing sprints after his last match of the day for cardio and began his warm down. After the dual was over and up on the mezzanine, he found the Father Ryan coach and shook the coach's hand. Those are the facts, check with your coach.

So please drop the "Frayser" remarks, not appreciated and I know some good people that came from and live in Frayser.

As a wrestler, I never forgot to shake a coach's hand, after a few dozen let alone hundreds of matches Baker has wrestled you would think it would have been ingrained into hims, but hey I am sure that the CBHS pin record is more emotional and rewarding than winning an NCAA championship where such a breach in sportsmanship wouldnt be tolerated.

As a wrestler, I never forgot to shake a coach's hand, after a few dozen let alone hundreds of matches Baker has wrestled you would think it would have been ingrained into hims, but hey I am sure that the CBHS pin record is more emotional and rewarding than winning an NCAA championship where such a breach in sportsmanship wouldnt be tolerated.

Did you not read the posts above? They don't even shake hands at most NCAA matches. Hey, if you can't beat them try to discredit them right? Really, you are not doing much for your alma mater right now. Stick to congratulations the rest sounds like a sore loser and the Frayser comments sounds very close to something I am certain they do not teach at Father Ryan.

For your information, Baker caught up with Coach Simpson later and shook his hand. Confirm with the legend if verification is necessary.

Truth is, if FR wins, we're not even having this whole "shaking hands" conversation. Time to stop trying to villainize these two great wrestlers and decent kids.

"If you wanna come after someone, come after me...I'm a man, I'm 40!!!"

For your information, Baker caught up with Coach Simpson later and shook his hand. Confirm with the legend if verification is necessary.

Truth is, if FR wins, we're not even having this whole "shaking hands" conversation. Time to stop trying to villainize these two great wrestlers and decent kids.

"If you wanna come after someone, come after me...I'm a man, I'm 40!!!"

Just because you are 40 does not make you a man.

This is so very true. Talk about sore losers. I'm sure the Father Ryan coach (who we all have a ton of respect for) is sitting around talking about if someone shook his hand or not. Matter of fact, I don't think I heard a word about hand shaking when FR and CBHS met in the finals 4 years ago, and FR won that one. I know for a fact that my son, along with others didn't shake hands after every match. We did it before each match and at the end of the dual.

Why not say, "congrats, the better man won today" and move on? Seriously, this does not look well for you, and you are not making others see your school too well either. Crying is never pretty.

ghouse,

While you are waiting on youthcoach16 to answer your post on another thread, maybe you can answer the question above.

Thanks.

It seems you have likely already gotten the answers sought and there isn't much I can add to this conversation so I will try to be succinct.

I believe the penalty was for a thrown headgear. No justification, it shouldn't have happened and I believe the staff dealt with it. I didn't see it so tough for me to comment on it.

No clue as to why Baker and Oliver wouldn't have shaken Coach Simpson's hand. One of the hardest things to do is figure out what is going on in the mind of a 14-18 year old. If there was any undue bad sportsmanship I am sure the staff will and has dealt with it. That being said I believe at least one of the two shook the coach's hand later and doubt anything was meant by any perceived slights as both are generally very good young men.

From a personal perspective I wish CBHS would have stayed with the general rule that no hands are shaken after individual matches during a dual meet. This used to be (not sure if it still is) a recommendation from the governing body(s) and I think it was well justified for reasons I have written about on here before. Unfortunately, because of whining similar to what we have seen in this thread, the CBHS administration asked the staff to change their team practice which they reluctantly did. As several others have stated it is rarely seen at the college level and is wildly inconsistent at the HS level around the nation.

As mentioned above, there is no telling what is running through a tennage boy's mind. Also, there is no telling what is on a tennage boy's hand under all the sweat, snot and funk that accumulate there during a wrestling match. As someone who has coached, the handshake is overrated. I'd prefer that it wasn't done after each individual match of a dual. When guys did come to shake my hand after a match, I generally offered up the fist bump instead.