Volunteer Falcons

volfalcons

Guest EastTennFan

I was impressed with the depth Volunteer showed. The game got a little ugly late, but the Falcons played hard. One problem I see is the Falcons ability to shoot the ball. Even their free-throws were a problem. I hope this is just first game butterflies and not a sign to the future. Tennessee High play North later in the week. Thats should be interesting......

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/27/02 - Volunteer Vs. Jack Hayward

1/28/02 - Volunteer Vs. Eight Mile Rock

Volunteer Vs. Tabernacle (Last Year Champs)

1/29/02 - Volunteer Vs. Freeport High

The Bahamas Thanksgiving Day Tournament is set up as a round robbin with two pools and the top 2 from each pool play a semi-final, 1 consolation games(3rd&4th)

and the championship Game on the last day. there is also a game for 5th and 6th.

Pool A Pool B

Tennessee High Volunteer High

Unaka High Tabernacle Baptist

Catholic High Jack Hayward High

St. George's High Freeport High

Sunladn Lutheran High Eight Mile Rock

He has strepthroat. It is hoped he will be back Saturday night.

Volunteer beat Unicoi County tonight in the jamboree. Happy Valley appears to be down this year although they gave Elizbethton a good game. Elizabethton was missing three starters, including Vince Redd. Johnson County has a lot of wide bodies and will give some teams a lot of problems. They where taking it to Hampton pretty good.

[Edited by CHHS72 on 11-21-02 8:46P]

Guest EastTennFan

Not a very good showing by the boys VS Unicoi County. They are much better than Erwin. The posts were not that effective and the guards were making to many mistakes on passes. They had better solve their problems by Saturday....

Will Volunteer be able to use their talents wisely ? last year the Indians took it to the Falcons , the full court press stole the game for the Indians. Will Volunteer be able to handle the ball and not so many turnovers, is the team as a whole ready to play TEAM basketball, a few areas to think abt,,

VHS81,

What do you mean by your question about using our talent wisely? It is true that Volunteer did not play well against D-B at their place last year but I do not think it had anything to do with not using our talent wisely. Besides D-B was and is a very good team that is very quick. I still would like to know what you are talking about.

I can guarentee you that we practice, plan, and execute our team practices very hard. I haven't read any comments of Coach Whitt's article in the paper. What you read in papers are 50/50. Sometimes things can be misrepresented. From what people have said, Coach Whitt discussed the last season being a down year. From an outside view of last year, it was a down year. I just can't believe that the season is just under way (1-1) and here we go with the negative talk. From reading your post, maybe you are an ex-player from last year or parent. I can tell you that this is my first year here and this is developing into a GOOD PROGRAM. Coaches are at the gym during the week an hour before and about an hour after practice. So please if you want to slam the program, ID yourself instead of hiding behind your online name.

Copper,

I assume you are a teacher or someone closely related to a teacher or someone else in the school department because of your e-mail address. It is my hope that you are not a part of the girls program because those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. We know how much the powers that be in the girls program feel about the coaches and everything else to do with the boys program. Jealousy???? Especially, because the girls program used to get all the attention and now they do not.

But because you ask I will say that Coach Whitt's remarkes do not offend me. I may not have fully understood what he meant, but then he does not make public all of his feelings concerning his players. I do know that there were several internal problems on the team last year. In fact the problems may have cost the team an important player this year. The player will be needed desperatly next year. Jealousy is very destructive. I do not think the team has many of those problems this year. There is no "I" in team.

Stokemo, I believe the reference to lack of work refers to last year. I also beleive you are right as to your assessment of Copper may be. It is either a former player, parent of a former player or a close relative of a former player. Otherwise, I think the aura around this year's team is positive. The team is going to win a lot of games. Most of us appreciate the hard work the coaches put in for the team. If some others worked half are hard they might have a team to brag about and would not have to resort to cheap shots.

[Edited by CHHS72 on 11-23-02 11:40P]