11-AA Thread

31ballfan

I will weigh in on Harpeth....we are off to a slow start in all aspects of the game. All of the bad weather prior to season is showing now as we look unprepared to play. There is no substitute for practice time on the field. Our bats are struggling as well as our outfielders. Not sure why pitching is so far behind as you can throw bullpens in the gym. Control issues are killing us. On another note the umpires seem to be in mid season form, against East Robertson the plate umpire had a strike zone about the size of a basketball for both teams. I thought TSSAA cahnged the zone to make it bigger. Scrimmages are for learning, we don't want no stinking walk. I actually have seen two kids this season get grazed by a pitch in preseason and stay at the plate because they want to hit. I like it!

Hope the Indians get it corrected before Monday as we open the District against Stewart Cty then. We play Friday night, with temps expected to be in the 60's, against Hume Fogg. Good luck to all, and look forward to seeing you at The Rock, or at your place some time soon.

Edited by coachcutt

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will weigh in on Harpeth....we are off to a slow start in all aspects of the game. All of the bad weather prior to season is showing now as we look unprepared to play. There is no substitute for practice time on the field. Our bats are struggling as well as our outfielders. Not sure why pitching is so far behind as you can throw bullpens in the gym. Control issues are killing us. On another note the umpires seem to be in mid season form, against East Robertson the plate umpire had a strike zone about the size of a basketball for both teams. I thought TSSAA cahnged the zone to make it bigger. Scrimmages are for learning, we don't want no stinking walk. I actually have seen two kids this season get grazed by a pitch in preseason and stay at the plate because they want to hit. I like it!

Hope the Indians get it corrected before Monday as we open the District against Stewart Cty then. We play Friday night, with temps expected to be in the 60's, against Hume Fogg. Good luck to all, and look forward to seeing you at The Rock, or at your place some time soon.

To the best of my knowledge, I dont think the strike zone has ever been changed in the rule book. They did mention the fact that a pitch across the letters is by rule a strike, but that wasnt a change, by rule that has always been a strike, you are just not going to get any umpires to call it because it is almost impossible to hit. They did tell the coaches that by rule it is a strike and to not argue about it when it is called, but a high strike is usually never argued because they are never called.

But yes, I do think that a bigger strike zone is better for the pace of a game, but if it gets too big coaches will complain as well, and it favors the pitchers. Each strike zone will be different with each umpire.

By the way, Levi from Northeast was straight nasty. His delivery reminds me alot of David Price's delivery. He hides the ball well and his offspeed almost made me cry.

Thanks guys. Keep us updated. It's typically only Creek Wood, Central and Harpeth that do much posting during baseball season with some Waverly mixed in every now and then. Cheatham's still got a baseball coach don't they? Wild week. Hope everyone has a good baseball season. I'll trapse up to The Rock when it's not hog killin' weather and catch some innings here and there.

I will add Camden to the list of posters all though I wont post much Ill try and keep scores up. Camden in 2-0 4-0 vs Bruceton and 15-5 vs Henry county.

Now having said that i will say this about the Lions team. Tons of Pitchers on this team and not just arms either. a sophomore class that sits the pine mostly but would be starting for other teams in the district 2 of our 3 Main pitchers are back this year I am sure who ever the coach throws the third games/forth game of the week will not be a let down man are they deep. The bats are probably better than they have been top to bottom in Camden ever and an outstanding bench I mentioned before..The district tourney will be played on our field again this year folks so be ready to drive and go home disappointed . If you want to know how I really feel about this team just be ready to read a book.

I'll say that Camden's field would be a lot of fun to play on with the new bats. Lot's of balls off the fence and not as many routine flys leaving the yard.

This is the second year with the new bats. Camdens total HR count went up last year not down and like the year before the had more on the road than at home.

Beside the field doesn't hit, pitch or play defense and everyone plays on the same field. Some teams are just better than others and hit it harder. If what you say were to happen the excuses would change from "routine fly balls are homers there" to

"well we hit some really hard shots that would have been doubles in other places but in that park they are singles off that short wall." WAAAAA

When we play home games I will make sure there is Tissue on op of the visitors dug out... ^_^

I played at Camden about 10 years ago in a tournament and to say the field dimensions don't change the game is incorrect. Our team benefitted from two routine fly balls carrying out which allowed us to win and move on in the tournament . Yes both teams have to play on the same field but there is no denying hitters are rewarded with poor swings.

A little touchy about your field dimensions? It's a mathematical equation. Home runs are down and ball speed off the bat reduced because the freaking' bats were designed that way. I think it makes Camdens park a better venue for a high school baseball game. Take that as the complement that it is. I pitched in a place with a short porch in right field (294). Nothing worse than making a good pitch and watching a Texas Leaguer inch over the fence.

I played at Camden about 10 years ago in a tournament and to say the field dimensions don't change the game is incorrect. Our team benefitted from two routine fly balls carrying out which allowed us to win and move on in the tournament . Yes both teams have to play on the same field but there is no denying hitters are rewarded with poor swings.

I never said a field doesn't change the game I said they are all playing on the same field and that it doesn't hit field or throw the ball.

I am sure that happened 10 years ago and have no reason to doubt that story but 10 years ago we had a 4 foot high fence at the same dimensions now the fence is 15 feet tall. so no Texas leaguers are going to inch it over on a line I assure you. It is however an excuse our district rivals have used for 3 years and I expect nothing less of them this year

Edited by Beagle

A little touchy about your field dimensions? It's a mathematical equation. Home runs are down and ball speed off the bat reduced because the freaking' bats were designed that way. I think it makes Camdens park a better venue for a high school baseball game. Take that as the complement that it is. I pitched in a place with a short porch in right field (294). Nothing worse than making a good pitch and watching a Texas Leaguer inch over the fence.

Not touchy at all just tired of the excuses year after year after year. Everyone acts like we move the fence back while we are pitching and then slide it in when we bat...

Another perspective is the guys hitting in that field every day have a swing that is tuned for that field and visiting teams in there for a doubke header eye's pop out of their head and it messes with their swing mentally. Advantage Camden. You can't take the Hoosiers tape measure and change that. It's an advantage at Fenway for the Red Sox to know how to play the Monster. All I said was the games would be better with the clocked down bats. Heck, make it a wood bat tournament and watch the kids freak out.