Tri-County Seven- Week #12

coachh17

This is week #12 because I made two week #10's and left out week #11....lol! We have a major shake-up in the rankings which I am sure will be controversial. My rationale is that Elizabethton is 3-1 versus Hampton and Unicoi County. The Lady Cyclones did not play Cloudalnd this season. Cloudland is 2-1 versus Hampton and Unicoi County and host Unicoi Monday in the season finale. Hampton is 2-4, having beaten Unicoi County twice while losing twice to Elizabethton and Cloudland. Unicoi County is 2-3, splitting with Elizabethton, beating Cloudland, and losing twice to Hampton. All four teams are very close, as recent scores indicate. Good luck to all in the tournaments. Stay healthy and chase your State Tournament dreams!

1. Elizabethton- (AA) (20-4)- Finished the season with solid wins over South Greene and Morristown-East. The Lady Cyclones are still a work in progress adjusting to the loss of their two starting senior guards, but only have two in state losses. They have won 10 of their last 11 games. Winning the District Tournament is very important to stay out of #1 Grainger's bracket in the Region. This will be fun.

2. Cloudland- (A) (16-10)- Beat Unaka and Hampton to earn this spot. Host Unicoi County Monday and Providence Academy Tuesday to finish up. The Lady Landers are hot, winning 10 of their last 11. Rhodes and Wilson are tough inside and the young guards have really improved. This team can return to Murfreesboro.

3. Hampton- (A) (22-7)- Beat North Greene, lost to Cloudland, and beat Unicoi County in a very tough week. The Lady Dogs finish at Chuckey-Doak Tuesday. They, Cloudland, and North Greene will all want to win the District to stay out of Cosby's bracket in the Region. It should be a great tournament. Murfreesboro is a real possibility.

4. Unicoi County- (AA) (15-8)- Beat Johnson County by 1 before losing a close one to Hampton. The Lady Devils can shake things up again if they beat Cloudland Monday on Roan Mountain. If things go as predicted, they should meet Elizabethton in the District title game, though Happy Valley, Sullivan East, and Johnson County will try to prevent that match-up.

5. Happy Valley- (AA) (11-12)- Beat University High and lost a heartbreaker to Sullivan East. This is a good Lady Warrior team despite the losing record. They could lose to Johnson County in the play-in game, but they could also pull two upsets over Unicoi County and Elizabethton and win the District Tournament. Keeping them motivated may be the challenge for Coach Abel.

7. Unaka- (A) (11-16)- Lost to Cloudland, beat University High, and lost to Johnson County. I thought the Lady Rangers might have had a better season, but they are still dangerous. They are 1-5 against North Greene, Cloudland, and Hampton, but they are capable of pulling a major upset on a given night. If they don't, they may get a tough Cosby team in the Region Tournament first round.

6. Johnson County- (AA) (5-19)- Lost another heartbreaker to Unicoi County by 1 and picked up a win over Unaka last night. Nobody will want to draw the Lady Longhorns in the tournament. They are due a big win or two and may get it. I believe they will play Happy Valley in the play-in game to get in the District final four bracket.

Edited by coachh17

Lady landers will be pumped to play unicoi on senior night. These ladies deserve a lot of praise for fighting through a tough early season. They were getting beat often and have dealt with devastating injuries. Rhodes is the lone senior and with Clarke projected to return next year, it could be the deepest Cloudland team ever

As I believe I said in an earlier thread, this year has the most parity top to bottom in the 7 that Ive seen in many years. Elizabethton, despite their injuries, is the favorite to win the District since they have the home court advantage. I think their draw is easier too as Johnson Co and HV are both playing better right now than East. Grainger Co may be the only team in District 2 that is a threat to Eliz or Unicoi not making the Regional finals. That District is way down this year as So Greene and Greenville and Doak are not nearly as good as years past. So Coachh is right, winning the district is huge for Unicoi and Eliz. Grainger will be a tough out no matter who plays them whereever.

Cloudland dominated unicoi tonight. The score was closer than the game being played. Lady landers were in control. These girls are catching fire at the right time

Saw the game last night. Great atmosphere! I felt like both teams played well. Rhodes size and athletic ability proved to be the difference. Unicoi County fought hard to the end and I'm sure aren't finished for the year.

Happy Valley beat Johnson County 43-42 on a Shalee Perry layup at the buzzer. Johnson County controlled the game until the final minutes. Missed free throws gave the Lady Warriors a chance and they took advantage to advance to the Region. It was another heartbreaking loss for the Lady Longhorns, but they return 4 starters next year and should be a Region contender.