State championship medals?

TNKO2

I noticed that the medals at the individual state championships were extremely small. In fact they look the same and about as inexpensive as the medals given out at the youth level. What is costs of the "medals" that a state champion puts around his neck after an amazing feat? $2? And also how much money is paid out to the 30 or so refs on 10 mats over 3 days? Bout $15000 maybe? So u pay about $500 or so for all of our state champion medals. And u give the refs 10's of thousands of dollars? Don't u think more money should be invested in why we are there in the first place? We are talking about a state medal.....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quality of the medals and what officials are paid have nothing to do with each other. Official get paid very little in comparison- they take 2 days vacation and are away from their families- it breaks out to about $6.00 an hour.

That being said- the medals are cheap- I think every state finalist should get large trpohies, and medal to 3-6. I wrestled in Ohio and a huge tournement with 48 team- 1st-6th got trophies, with the Chaionpions trophy at least 18 inches tall- State Finalist deserve MORE!

6$ an hour? How are you figuring that? I think they work hard and deserve to be paid accordingly. I know I've helped at kids tournaments and they are paid 20$ an hour. This includes paying them while on break and in between sessions. I have no idea what tssaa refs are paid but I guarantee its more than 6$ an hour and I'm sure they pay for their hotel and probably food as well. Like I said they deserve to be paid well so I'm not complaining

I noticed that the medals at the individual state championships were extremely small. In fact they look the same and about as inexpensive as the medals given out at the youth level. What is costs of the "medals" that a state champion puts around his neck after an amazing feat? $2? And also how much money is paid out to the 30 or so refs on 10 mats over 3 days? Bout $15000 maybe? So u pay about $500 or so for all of our state champion medals. And u give the refs 10's of thousands of dollars? Don't u think more money should be invested in why we are there in the first place? We are talking about a state medal.....

All these little Joe Pescis don't do this for the medal... They put in the grind, blood, sweat, tears and years for the immortality. To walk around their home town and everyone sees them and know that's a legend. To have their name or picture on a wall for when their older they can bring their kids and show them that and they can be proud to call that man their father. I mean the medal is the smallest thing that comes when winning a state title. Navy seals, army rangers, and any other special operations units don't become that just so they have their patch or crest. It's to prove to themselves that they have and will do what it takes. And they can look themselves in the mirror and know they did something great in their life, the patch and crest just comes with the accomplishment... Although it would be pretty cool if they started giving these boys some WWE belts. That might get my son from Web searching naughty things and putting more viruses on my computer. Those our daddys viruses to put on the computer since i dont have the ole ball an chain anymore or more like ole nuce and rope. A belt might get him out there but who knows...

HaH

Edited by HalfandHalf

All these little Joe Pescis don't do this for the medal... They put in the grind, blood, sweat, tears and years for the immortality. To walk around their home town and everyone sees them and know that's a legend. To have their name or picture on a wall for when their older they can bring their kids and show them that and they can be proud to call that man their father. I mean the medal is the smallest thing that comes when winning a state title. Navy seals, army rangers, and any other special operations units don't become that just so they have their patch or crest. It's to prove to themselves that they have and will do what it takes. And they can look themselves in the mirror and know they did something great in their life, the patch and crest just comes with the accomplishment... Although it would be pretty cool if they started giving these boys some WWE belts. That might get my son from Web searching naughty things and putting more viruses on my computer. Those our daddys viruses to put on the computer since i dont have the ole ball an chain anymore or more like ole nuce and rope. A belt might get him out there but who knows...

HaH

I am not sure about the Navy Seals, but I am sure about Army Rangers. If you were one you would know that the "patch" or Tab as it is called, is actually a very big deal to have. It is worn everyday by the solider who earns it. It is not like the medal you are talking about.

TNKO2 and his twin brother are refs, maybe they are just jealous.

I think the medals are embarrassing, but to be honest, at least in DII, when a wrestler can win 1 match and get a 6th place medal

because of the byes and forfeits there are lots of embarrassing things that water down this supposedly prestige tournament.

Not to mention that the 6th place medal looks exactly like the first place medal except for the small type on the back.

These kids are not looking in the mirror 20 years from now and thinking I’m a man’s man because of what they did that long ago.

They, we, or maybe it’s just me are reminiscing with our sons looking at those things like they were old pictures

and having your son or sons in my case get pumped up about wrestling and wanting to do the same as dad……or even better than dad as my son recently did.

And the medals aren’t the same as 30 years ago. In fact looking at my old state medals from exactly 29 and 30 years ago they were nice and much bigger.

It looked good enough to get a "that's pretty cool looking" out of my son. Bottom line for me is this is about celebrating these kid’s accomplishments and keeping

the integrity of THE STATE TOURNAMENT at a high level. Unfortunately we are lacking in both. Instead of improving over the last 30 years it’s been watered down with

multiple state champions and placers and brackets with to many holes in them (DII) not to mention cheap medals that look like the ones your 8 year old

might get at a peewee tournament. This isn’t about lack of money, they make plenty of it. I dropped about 120.00 both weekends just walking through the door………

well with that said maybe it is about money.

Lets celebrate these kids with something nice to take home, with better press coverage, with things that will promote wrestling and a strong trounament.

Things that will excite a kid to want to be in THE STATE TOURNAMNET and when he does well will mean something afterwards!

Edited by seahawk8