Elizabethton vs South Greene/Happy Valley vs Grainger

grassroots176

Actually I'm from Avery Co,but I've lived in RoanMt for about 12 years. My oldest goes to Hampton and my little one goes to Cloudland. I guess I'm a Bulllander

Roan Mtn.......I spent a month there one night in the late 60's. Don't ask. LOL

Read up on the history of Hampton basketball in the early 60's before classifications in the state tournament. The Bulldogs were coached by Buck VanHuss and about a fourth of the boys in the small school played basketball. The movie 'Hoosiers' reminds me of Hampton back then.

Roan Mtn.......I spent a month there one night in the late 60's. Don't ask. LOL

Read up on the history of Hampton basketball in the early 60's before classifications in the state tournament. The Bulldogs were coached by Buck VanHuss and about a fourth of the boys in the small school played basketball. The movie 'Hoosiers' reminds me of Hampton back then.

I'm still interested in the story about Buck MT. That has to be a doozy. I know all about the history of Hampton. I know several of the people who played at that time. I'm not exactually a spring chicken.

I'm still interested in the story about Buck MT. That has to be a doozy. I know all about the history of Hampton. I know several of the people who played at that time. I'm not exactually a spring chicken.

You may not be as old as me. My brother-in-law was Buck's nephew, Walter. Though it was a few years after their glory years of the early-to-mid 60's, I met several of the players from that era. I recall a Hyder, but can't remember the other names.

Good luck to the Lady Cyclones tonight against a very strong Grainger Co. team. They are undefeated which is an awesome feat. Some might question the strength of schedule. While there is some merit to that argument; there is no doubt it takes talent, guts and strong will to go out and win every game. The same kind of things were said about the 2011 Lady Cyclones who lost in the first round of the state tournament. Regardless, that was an awesome Betsy team and this Grainger team is awesome in their own right. That being said, It will be a very tall order, but I too believe the Lady Cyclones have a chance tonight. They will have to avoid a slow start, play up to their potential and likely get a little help from the Lady Grizzlies to win. Go Betsy!

As for the venue for the regionals, I believe there are several factors. I do believe the standard practice is to alternate between districts each year. However, there are other factors to consider. First, the venue must meet the TSSAA requirements for seating capacity to qualify. Secondly, the venue must be willing to host. I believe there are other considerations as well, i.e. the centrally located criterion mentioned before is another example. I don't believe there is any limitation placed on whether a participating team can host, at least not by the TSSAA. For the record, this is the first time in several years that D1 has hosted the AA regionals and it's been even longer since Elizabethton hosted. As far as the facilities, I believe Elizabethton is a good fit. The court is full-size (college standard), well-maintained, well lit (which is not the case in most high school gyms) with adequate parking. Additionally, the gym seats 2000 with the pull-out bleachers up top and the seats on either side are fully-backed individual seats (which not that many gyms have). Just a note: I missed the semi-final games on Monday, but I was told by a Cyclone fan that a Grainger fan (possibly even a Grainger parent) made the following comment upon entering the EHS gym the first time: "What a s%!+hole to play in." I thought that comment a bit ironic. First, the EHS gym is far from a s%!+hole!!! Secondly, I realize Grainger has a big, nice, new school with presumably a nice gym (I have never been inside); however, that has not always been the case. If I'm not mistaken, Grainger Co. replaced the old Rutledge High that was old as Methuselah. Maybe the Grainger folks would rather play at CD Middle School where the R1-AA was held a few years back.

D1 hosted 2 years ago at Sullivan North. Elizabethton gym is barely adequate to host a Regional. Bleacher seats are horrible. Can't see the action under the goal on the end the bleachers are on. Only 2 dressing rooms that are in the gym. Some teams must dress in rooms by a swimming pool that are used by the swim team and are not well maintained. Not nearly enough restroom facilities available either.

The Grainger Facility is far nicer in every aspect(not just presumably so).I don't know about the comment that was supposedly made. If true, it was out of line. Yes the old gym at Rutledge was small, but they don't play there anymore Grainger should have the opportunity to host the Regionals and hopefully that will happen soon. It is not a one way street the distance is the same in both directions.

Hats off to Elizabethton they played Great and deserved the win. Surely they would not be opposed to playing the Regionals on the home floor of anither good team would they? I didn't think so.

D1 hosted 2 years ago at Sullivan North. Elizabethton gym is barely adequate to host a Regional. Bleacher seats are horrible. Can't see the action under the goal on the end the bleachers are on. Only 2 dressing rooms that are in the gym. Some teams must dress in rooms by a swimming pool that are used by the swim team and are not well maintained. Not nearly enough restroom facilities available either.

The Grainger Facility is far nicer in every aspect(not just presumably so).I don't know about the comment that was supposedly made. If true, it was out of line. Yes the old gym at Rutledge was small, but they don't play there anymore Grainger should have the opportunity to host the Regionals and hopefully that will happen soon. It is not a one way street the distance is the same in both directions.

Hats off to Elizabethton they played Great and deserved the win. Surely they would not be opposed to playing the Regionals on the home floor of anither good team would they? I didn't think so.

I didn't say anything about the Grainger facility or it's adequacy to host a Regional. Your assertion the Grainger gym "is far nicer in every aspect" is a stretch. I get the criticism of the dressing rooms and bathrooms. While the court side seating may be newer at Grainger, it is hardly better based on pictures from the school opening press release. It appears to be the typical bench style seating used in most new gyms which are not very comfortable. As for the D2 venue, you need to deal with your D2 administrators about that selection. D1 has nothing to do with that choice as far as I know. CD has hosted for D2 as I believe has Greeneville. I understand the point of the fairness of a team playing on their home court, but that is the way it has been. It's not any more unfair for D1 teams to play on D2's home court in even years than vice versa. A neutral site every year would be more fair to everyone, but I'm not sure how practical that is. There are facilities that fit the bill, but availability is likely an issue.

As for the comment, it was definitely made by a Grainger fan (not supposedly). It was clearly out of line. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your new facility, but that doesn't make it okay to criticize other's facilities. Regardless, good luck against CAK.

Edited by etownsparky

I'm sorry our facilities aren't up to par for you but we do the best we can and maybe we ought to get you to help the TSSAA figure out we're to play these tournaments.Maybe one day we can get our facilities as nice as the mighty Grainger facilities.I hope our team was up to par for you.

For a school built in 1974, Elizabethton's facilities are tremendous. All this talk about facilities and home court advantage is ridiculous. Elizabethton has been a force in AA basketball in East Tennessee since 2002. I think they have won about 6 Region titles, made 8 sub-state appearances, and if they win Saturday, will have made four state tournament appearances. They have won at Chuckey-Doak, Morristown, Greeneville, Unicoi County, Sullivan Central, Sullivan North and anywhere else that they have been asked to play. They were just the better team tonight. Get over it.

I'm sorry our facilities aren't up to par for you but we do the best we can and maybe we ought to get you to help the TSSAA figure out we're to play these tournaments.Maybe one day we can get our facilities as nice as the mighty Grainger facilities.I hope our team was up to par for you.

No one said your team wasn't up to par. I think they said exactly the opposite, in that your team played well and deserved to win. Before you get too cocky, keep in mind that this was one game on one night in on your home floor. You guys were the best team last night. I don't think anyone would say that Unicoi is a better team than you guys, even though they beat you on their home floor the last time you played them. Upsets happen, especially to teams on the road. That's why you play the game. Again, hats off to your girls, they won and played better than Grainger for most of the game. They were great competitors, and handled themselves with class. Now on to your coach.....that's another matter. That was a low class, jerk move to call a full time out for no reason with 34 seconds left and a 15 point lead and then act as if he was drawing up a play. Give me a break, that was for no other reason than to rub the other teams' nose in it. No team deserves that. I've seen him do it to other teams, and I've heard coaches from other schools talk about him doing that to them. The night before in the semis he slams a full bottle of water down on the floor in front of his bench and sprays water all over the playing floor all for the purpose of saying, hey everyone look at me and how mad I get at my players. The game is about the players and not you Coach. Draw attention to your players and not to yourself. He's a first class A hole. Kudos to any coach who can shake his hand after a game, cause if I were coaching I would want to wait outside for him after the game. Now on to your facilities......... I gave credit where credit was due and that was to your team and the girls on it, but not to your facilities or to your coach. I've been in your gym and in Grainger's and Grainger's is much better. I'm not saying that's anybody's fault, but fact is fact. It is better. Maybe someday You guys can come down and play Grainger on their home floor. And maybe the result would be different or maybe it would be the same, but we will never know unless you guys come down and try it sometime. I for one would like to see Grainger play You guys in the regular season.

No one said your team wasn't up to par. I think they said exactly the opposite, in that your team played well and deserved to win. Before you get too cocky, keep in mind that this was one game on one night in on your home floor. You guys were the best team last night. I don't think anyone would say that Unicoi is a better team than you guys, even though they beat you on their home floor the last time you played them. Upsets happen, especially to teams on the road. That's why you play the game. Again, hats off to your girls, they won and played better than Grainger for most of the game. They were great competitors, and handled themselves with class. Now on to your coach.....that's another matter. That was a low class, jerk move to call a full time out for no reason with 34 seconds left and a 15 point lead and then act as if he was drawing up a play. Give me a break, that was for no other reason than to rub the other teams' nose in it. No team deserves that. I've seen him do it to other teams, and I've heard coaches from other schools talk about him doing that to them. The night before in the semis he slams a full bottle of water down on the floor in front of his bench and sprays water all over the playing floor all for the purpose of saying, hey everyone look at me and how mad I get at my players. The game is about the players and not you Coach. Draw attention to your players and not to yourself. He's a first class A hole. Kudos to any coach who can shake his hand after a game, cause if I were coaching I would want to wait outside for him after the game. Now on to your facilities......... I gave credit where credit was due and that was to your team and the girls on it, but not to your facilities or to your coach. I've been in your gym and in Grainger's and Grainger's is much better. I'm not saying that's anybody's fault, but fact is fact. It is better. Maybe someday You guys can come down and play Grainger on their home floor. And maybe the result would be different or maybe it would be the same, but we will never know unless you guys come down and try it sometime. I for one would like to see Grainger play You guys in the regular season.

I am done arguing about this because it's all about these girls and this is the first time i have heard any fans complain so much about having to play in a certain gym that don't fit there needs . Let me tell you we have played in alot worse. Best of luck against CAK