CPA vs. JACKSON SOUTHSIDE AA CHAMPIONSHIP

WestTNtopReporter

What should a parent do? When fundamental christian values are removed from school, the basketball program at the school their child is zoned for is in disarray, and nobody seems to care. When you have done all you can do with the youth program to help build a program and your child has worked extremely hard for years to excel. When you finally find a good coach, christian, and really caring person through an AAU program and decide thats what you want for your child, along wih a tremendous education and to see so much hatred towards those very ideals is very disturbing. The reason CPA has become so successful is because of what they have to offer.... A caring, christian environment, along with a commitment to not just athletics, but theatre, music, and the arts. I know this post will not change any opinions and is not intended to, but it may give some insight as to why some parents with talented athletes would choose to send their children to CPA.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What should a parent do? When fundamental christian values are removed from school, the basketball program at the school their child is zoned for is in disarray, and nobody seems to care. When you have done all you can do with the youth program to help build a program and your child has worked extremely hard for years to excel. When you finally find a good coach, christian, and really caring person through an AAU program and decide thats what you want for your child, along wih a tremendous education and to see so much hatred towards those very ideals is very disturbing. The reason CPA has become so successful is because of what they have to offer.... A caring, christian environment, along with a commitment to not just athletics, but theatre, music, and the arts. I know this post will not change any opinions and is not intended to, but it may give some insight as to why some parents with talented athletes would choose to send their children to CPA.

I totally get it from a parent's perspective. The problem I have, and I believe many others have, is that players are meeting the coach through AAU. He has a whole school of kids and potential players to choose from. However this year, the gyms were closed to CPA students who play rec basketball and have practiced there for years. (and they paid for gym time in the past, it wasn't free, or part of tuition). There is not a development program in place for all CPA students. Which is where I believe a k-12 school coach should be developing his players from. The involvement in AAU tells me it's more about the win, and publicity, than having a program to provide an extra-curricular activity for the school's students.

On average around 3% of HS Seniors play NCAA basketball. CPA's percentage for it's starting 5 alone is 80-100%, and those players aren't even Seniors yet. In fact CPA has no Seniors on it's team. You also have to consider the fact that CPA has a relatively small high school. It's hard to believe that "just happened" on it's own.

The other programs you mentioned are also highly successful. Theater, Music, Arts. They also use their own students, and start including and developing those students in those programs in Kindergarten.

Edited by rulefollower

I totally agree,it's a win-win situation for the school and the kids.Would it be any less wonderful if CPA played in the private division and not against public schools?

If CPA could just figure out a way to recruit a team that can beat Milan in football, then they'd have the trifecta...both basketballs AND football....IMO...ALL privates should have to play D2...the 1.3.multiplier is a joke...CPA even takes MBA rejects...anything to win...

The multiplier is 1.8 not 1.3. So, CPA's enrollment of 377 becomes 679 for classification purposes.

Stay strong Coach, people know what's going on at CPA, but sadly they are willing to look the other way for a Gold Ball.

Thanks and those who really know me know that comments like those from coachrus are so far off base they are not only untrue, but comical.

What should a parent do?...

As long as there are no violations, parents should pursue all the options available to them and as long as there are no violations and no inconsistencies with its mission statement, schools should admit all students it can. There will always be complainers and comments here or there, but there won’t be any real substance or duration to those complaints/attacks if those are in place (there are both past and present examples that support that fact). And yes, you can be inconsistent with a mission statement by creating an unfair advantage with certain practices even when they do not violate the letter of the law. Those that need to hear that don’t want to hear that so I will move on.

For those parents who truly want to do what is right then know the rules and make sure everything is parent initiated in a proper school setting/school visit when considering school options. Of course every parent loves to hear someone say nice words about their child and his or her abilities. Of course they want to hear how good their child can play and the opportunity how playing in a certain program and/or for a certain coach will help their child get that college scholarship at the highest level possible. But there are only very, very limited settings that is not a violation with a capital V, violations that can even take place on school grounds.

Recruiters are “slick,†they know how to frame a conversation to make it simply sound like it’s nothing more than nice, complimentary, normal conversation, but definitely planting the idea there is an interest. Those who don’t know the rules or those who “play dumb†because they want to hear what is being offered to benefit their child and family will be the ones who eat it up. And as far as all those college offers go (which yes, is nice for the kids), if you don’t think there are not ploys, posturing and showmanship involved, then you don’t understand how it works because recruiting is the lifeline of the program and jobs are on the line. Sure, kids with the grades and the ability can pretty much write their own ticket, but many others will have to wait to actually see the paperwork where they can sign on the dotted line. That is really the only time you can guarantee the offer is good. Recruiters will have plan B, C, D, etc., in place in case plan A the top recruit on their list at that position does not work out for them. Many examples of verbal offers being withdrawn when push came to shove leaving parents and kids disillusioned.

Edited by kbrks

I've lived in several places and I have never seen more hypocrites when it comes to christianity. I will never buy into the christianity crap, especially in Middle Tennessee.....I see a bunch of cowards that try to stand behind money and power. I'm ok with that, but don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. They are so "politically" correct. They do what's best for them by any means necessary.

I've lived in several places and I have never seen more hypocrites when it comes to christianity. I will never buy into the christianity crap, especially in Middle Tennessee.....I see a bunch of cowards that try to stand behind money and power. I'm ok with that, but don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. They are so "politically" correct. They do what's best for them by any means necessary.

Money and power.... I have had three to four jobs most of my life to try and give my kids a better a better way of life and provide for their care. I helped pay my parents bills when my dad lost his job and we almost lost our home for almost three years, soph,jun, and senior years in high school. Money and power, that's comical. I served in the Air Force during the first Gulf war, worked many part time jobs trying to pay my way thru MTSU, you can't imagine the sacrifice and long hours, with a family counting on you. I guess the really sad part of your post is to pass judgement on someone you don't know. I don't really know the motives of your post, maybe to stir bad feelings. I'm not sure, but no harsh feelings here I wish the best for you and your family and I've never been concerned with being politically correct. There are a lot of things I need to work on to be a better person, but I do speak from the heart and if you or anyone else ever needed my help I am one person you could count on no matter what the cost. As far as my beliefs, that's personal. I was just trying to give some insight as to why someone would send their kids to CPA. I have never hid behind anything. I stand for what I stand for...why would I need to hide behind something.

Liberal?

Money and power.... I have had three to four jobs most of my life to try and give my kids a better a better way of life and provide for their care. I helped pay my parents bills when my dad lost his job and we almost lost our home for almost three years, soph,jun, and senior years in high school. Money and power, that's comical. I served in the Air Force during the first Gulf war, worked many part time jobs trying to pay my way thru MTSU, you can't imagine the sacrifice and long hours, with a family counting on you. I guess the really sad part of your post is to pass judgement on someone you don't know. I don't really know the motives of your post, maybe to stir bad feelings. I'm not sure, but no harsh feelings here I wish the best for you and your family and I've never been concerned with being politically correct. There are a lot of things I need to work on to be a better person, but I do speak from the heart and if you or anyone else ever needed my help I am one person you could count on no matter what the cost. As far as my beliefs, that's personal. I was just trying to give some insight as to why someone would send their kids to CPA. I have never hid behind anything. I stand for what I stand for...why would I need to hide behind something.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.