D. Maddux to DLU?

BigENS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think the east side of campus (Lipscomb High) would be very vocally against this move. There is NO love loss between them. No question he was a great player, can coach (and recruit) but is he ready for DI coaching? I would think he needs to be an assistant or at least coach in JUCO or NAIA first.

Drew isn't the normal high school coach. As we have seen from various topics on this board, he is a polarizing figure for high school athletics to say the least.

He would be more suited for college. Drew doesn't need to coach at a JUCO or crappy NAIA job to prove he can coach on that level. He is basically coaching a mid-major college team right now.

Drew isn't the normal high school coach. As we have seen from various topics on this board, he is a polarizing figure for high school athletics to say the least.

He would be more suited for college. Drew doesn't need to coach at a JUCO or crappy NAIA job to prove he can coach on that level. He is basically coaching a mid-major college team right now.

Exactly. His team at CPA could compete on the DI level. You would figure the boys over at Lipscomb Acadmey would want him gone so they wouldn't have to compete against him any more.

I think Ayers would be a great candidate if what you say is true. Bowers would be great as well. I just can't see Ensworth's golden child leaving where he is the head guy in control making great money to go with the 365 day grind of being a college head coach.

Let's face it. Lipscomb basketball has been irrelevant in the Nashville scene since Belmont has basically dominated over the past 5-8 years. Belmont has what 6 NCAA appearances?

They need publicity, and Maddux would do just that. If Lipscomb moves to the "safe choice" of hiring an assistant, they will continue to be in the same situation they are in. Ayers isn't going to come in and challenge Belmont for Nashville pub, or challenge in the ASun for that matter.

Ricky would win, recruit, and be relentless.

I think Ayers would be a great candidate if what you say is true. Bowers would be great as well. I just can't see Ensworth's golden child leaving where he is the head guy in control making great money to go with the 365 day grind of being a college head coach.

Let's face it. Lipscomb basketball has been irrelevant in the Nashville scene since Belmont has basically dominated over the past 5-8 years. Belmont has what 6 NCAA appearances?

They need publicity, and Maddux would do just that. If Lipscomb moves to the "safe choice" of hiring an assistant, they will continue to be in the same situation they are in. Ayers isn't going to come in and challenge Belmont for Nashville pub, or challenge in the ASun for that matter.

Ricky would win, recruit, and be relentless.

I think Drews recruiting ability is just a tad bit better dont you. I mean look at the results as well as the head to head match up between these two. Drew would be a great hire for that struggling program.

I would think he needs to be an assistant or at least coach in JUCO or NAIA first.

Didn't Rick Insell go from high school to a DI program without any stops in between and have immediate success? Maddux would have the same type of contacts and connections to be successful. Lipscomb would win the "press conference."

I think Drews recruiting ability is just a tad bit better dont you. I mean look at the results as well as the head to head match up between these two. Drew would be a great hire for that struggling program.

I think this is funny since Coach Maddux isn't "supposed" to be recruiting lol......But as far as having the ability to be a college coach at the Lipscomb level I definitely think he would fit in nicely there and would do a great job. He is hungry, and I think that is where he anticipated himself being maybe not this soon, but where he pictured himself to be as a goal I would say. And he would and will do a great job if in fact he is hired there.

I think this is funny since Coach Maddux isn't "supposed" to be recruiting lol......But as far as having the ability to be a college coach at the Lipscomb level I definitely think he would fit in nicely there and would do a great job. He is hungry, and I think that is where he anticipated himself being maybe not this soon, but where he pictured himself to be as a goal I would say. And he would and will do a great job if in fact he is hired there.

I think everyone is aware of Coach Maddux's "recruiting ability" on the high school level. But would be suitable on the collegiate level. I know a lot of coaches would be thrilled to get him out of the high school game and TSSAA altogether. Including Greenbrier (Bradshaw), Riverdale (Lindsey), and the Brentwood Franklin area (Bonds, Allsmiller)

Lipscomb may hire a high school coach, but it won't be Maddux. If it's a high school coach, look for it to be a former Bison who is more successful than Maddux. However, the smart money is on a college assistant and former Bison - there are lots of them out there. Whatever the case, it won't be Maddux. Book it.

The rumor has been floating around Middle Tennessee for the past 90 day's that Ricky Bowers was considering making the move to DLU.

This should get the boards fired up. Any truth to the rumor that Coach Maddux will be taking over as the next Coach at David Lipscomb University? If so, who will be taking his place?

Got to think there are those with the expectation that Couey would be the heir apparent if he doesn't follow Maddux.

... However, the smart money is on a college assistant and former Bison - there are lots of them out there. Whatever the case, it won't be Maddux. Book it.

Makes sense, someone like Tom Kelsey comes to mind. Course always a ton of interest in any head DI job, but Lipscomb unique due to its religious affilifiation and many who would normally be interested may not meet their criteria. In this situation, even more reason that a former Bison with college experience has an edge.

...I would think he needs to be an assistant or at least coach in JUCO or NAIA first.

Any HS coach who wants to be a D1 coach one of the worst moves to make is to break in by becoming a juco or NAIA coach. You have a better chance of being a local HS coach with success than trying that route. Even successful head coaches at NCAA II or NCAA III have a difficult time directly securing a Division I head job. Rarely happens unless you are someone with great local success. Compliance issues, recruiting issues, media issues, booster issues, are all factors involved and why DI experience, head or assistant, is crucial to those involved in hiring process at that level.