2013-2014 AAA Top Teams

You might want to keep an eye on Morristown West. Lost to Science Hill by one at the beginning of last year and has almost everyone back plus some outstanding newcomers. All things considered, this year's team is probably 20 percent better than last year.

They looked very impressive in the games I saw them play last week.

They looked very impressive in the games I saw them play last week.

They have done real well so far, beating Grainger, Bearden, Maryville, Farragut and eight other teams without a loss. I realize it is summer ball but I have been impressed with their strong defense and unselfish offense. Should face some really good competition next week at Tenn. Tech.

I'm new to coachT but I was actually at those games. On Saturday they only had 1 of their starters. No pg or the really good post player Lyons I think is her name

I believe Thursday and some of Friday they had all players except pg, Stomach bug (Saturday you are correct). I watch every one of there games, there ok but not to the level they were, The Teams that were smoking at that camp was Maryville - They look really good this early

Everyone knows AAA girls basketball goes through the MidState. I will be very surprised if the gold ball does not go to either Riverdale or Blackman. I've been fortunate to watch a lot of basketball this summer and I would never be willing to say who is going to win it all so early. I can safely say that East Tennessee is seemingly closing in on the powerhouses farther west. Rest assured my conclusions on these particular teams comes after personally seeing ALL of them play within the last few weeks. In my mind there are a handful of teams in the East you should count on playing late into the post season. In upper East Tennessee, Science Hill and Morristown West are loaded and head and shoulders ahead of their local competition. Both may likely make it to the state tournament. Be glad you don't play in district 4-AAA. This district is as competitve as any you will find in the MidState. Bearden, Farragut and Maryville can't all make it to the final 8 this year. These programs have been traditional regional powers, but I've noticed a trend of more depth developing here over the years with young and energetic coaches. Bearden has seemingly drawn interest from girls at other schools. They have added a few transfers to a lineup poised to make it back to back trips to the 'Borro. In the Southeast I really like what Bradley Central has done over the years and I think they are a team that could win it all as well. They have a pretty poor conference schedule and won't be well tested in the regular season. I am not overly familiar with any one program, but there is one team that really intrigued me this summer. We know that football is king in Blount County, but I want to be one of the first people outside of that community to recognize something special that may be developing with the girls basketball program. This summer they added a large freshmen class. A fan at one game told me they NEVER lost a game in their middle school career and they won the TSSAA middle school tournament. I don't know how accurate that is, but with wins against Wilson Central, Oakland, Science Hill (minus pg) and loses in the final minute to Jackson County and Brentwood, I was really surprised given this group had essentially been playing together since school ended. They were playing 10+ girls and they were loose offensively (maybe too much) and defensively tenacious. I overheard one head coach fresh off of a state tournament appereance refer to them as a pack of bulldogs. Blackman finished them off nicely, but with everyone there it was under 12 points at the beginning of the 4th period. If they are infusing a young group of girls with returning starters, the development of that team may be fun... or bad depending on your point of view. Good luck to all teams during the offseason and have fun conditioning!

Blackman and Riverdale should have some monster games next year. Riverdale has the best player in the state in Middleton and also Davenport who is one of the top 10 players in the state, but they did lose Jones, Petty. However, what new players will Riverdale add to their team? Blackman is absolutely loaded and still very young and will get Meme Jackson finally after sitting out a year. They won't lose much next year if at all.

Riverdale added impact players from Hickman County and Summit. One is a senior and has an OVC offer already, the other just a sophomore.

I have seen most of the top AAA teams play at different camps and Blackman has unmatched atheleticsm and won all their games with ease but so has Riverdale and their experience is unmatched, also Science Hill looked really good and put up a fight loosing by 2 to Blackman I expect them back at State, Smyrna also look good loosing by 2 to Bradley Central and Bradley lost a blowout to Blackman they should all be in the hunt but its preseason so teams will work hard and get better.

Have seen lots of games at 3 camps this summer. Morristown West finished 21-0 with only a couple of fairly close games. They have an unusual team with a group of seniors who never lost in middle school and a group of freshmen who never lost in middle school. The East side of the state in AAA looks like West, Science Hill and Cocke County. The Knoxville area looks like Maryville , Bearden and Farragut. Blackman, Riverdale and Bradley Central in the middle and I have no idea about the Western part of the state.

• 2 weeks later...

Cumberland County Girls are talented and young. Varsity and JV went 32-0 this summer - very strong Freshman/Sophomore classes. CCHS Freshman team (minus top freshman who was playing with Varsity) hung in there with Moristown West JV team at Tech Camp. CCHS poised for great things for years to come.