Kyle Serrano vs Justus Sheffield

mjuhb

LOL. It must be the first time you've seen them.

Yes, it is. I played ball for quite a while. I played in front of ruthless fans. Much worse. I like the spirit, for lack of a better word, they bring to the park. It's just hard when they yell a player's name out. College or pro? I can see it. I thought Sheffield handled it well. You know, bush league may have been a lil harsh. I liked it, except for calling player's name. And, I know it's all in fun. Part of the game, and what a great one.

Edited by lesplay2

Very unimpressed by Sheffield's attitude today. Of course Farragut's students are going to heckle him, and they weren't saying anything derogitory or obscene. What does Sheffield do? Looked over at them and grabbed his genitals on multiple occasions, and also gave them the bird. That's much more bush league than anything the Farragut kids were doing. Just surprised by the lack of class shown by many of Tullahoma's fans, players, and coaches to be honest. Guess you guys do things differently in Mid TN.

• Upvote 1

Very unimpressed by Sheffield's attitude today. Of course Farragut's students are going to heckle him, and they weren't saying anything derogitory or obscene. What does Sheffield do? Looked over at them and grabbed his genitals on multiple occasions, and also gave them the bird. That's much more bush league than anything the Farragut kids were doing. Just surprised by the lack of class shown by many of Tullahoma's fans, players, and coaches to be honest. Guess you guys do things differently in Mid TN.

You find out a persons true personality when they are under pressure and things are not going their way.

These are high school kids playing baseball at a very competitive level, and if young Sheffield became frustrated he should be cut a little slack because of his young age, he is only a junior in high school isn't he? Heckling is just part of the game and most of the time is just done in fun but it can get out of hand and the adult fans should reign it in when it shows extremely poor sportsmanship. Sheffield does need to get used to though because as he moves on to college and maybe beyond it only gets worse. He must learn to shake that off and ignore it.

Heckling is part of the game? What part? If so, do quality teams actually practice it? Are students invited to practice to organize the heckling? If it really is a part of it, it is an ugly part like intentionally throwing at a batter. Except you get ejected for that if the umpire judges it to be intentional. IMO - fans should be ejected for heckling if in the umpire's judgment it is affecting the game. Heckling from the bleachers is bush league whether it's little league or high school. I was told long ago that if fans leave the game talking about something done by someone other than the players on the field, then something happened that shouldn't have. It sounds like that was the case here.

Heckling is part of the game? What part? If so, do quality teams actually practice it? Are students invited to practice to organize the heckling? If it really is a part of it, it is an ugly part like intentionally throwing at a batter. Except you get ejected for that if the umpire judges it to be intentional. IMO - fans should be ejected for heckling if in the umpire's judgment it is affecting the game. Heckling from the bleachers is bush league whether it's little league or high school. I was told long ago that if fans leave the game talking about something done by someone other than the players on the field, then something happened that shouldn't have. It sounds like that was the case here.

All I'm saying is if you can't handle a few 17-18 year old saying "Hey Justin", and you handle it the way Sheffield did, then how do you expect to pitch in front of thousands yelling and screaming obscenities at you? Corbin isn't going to allow the type of stuff he did yesterday, so hopefully he learns to reign it in and show some class. Yes he's only a junior in high school, but he's also an elite prospect committed to a premier college program, I just think it's time to grow up a little.

Edited by tssaafan1

I agree it heckling shouldn't happen, but I have seen it at every level. Some high schools are worse than others. I personally know a pitcher in this area that was heckled something awful by two high schools in Knox County. I think it is terrible, especially at the high school level, but I don't know what could be done about it. Many high school athletes work very hard at their sport and make great sacrifices to represent their school and they should be treated with respect by the opposing team. Maybe AD's could attend the games and address it with the student body.