Karns coach Derek Witt resigns

HTV

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to teach in Jefferson County.

http://www.knoxnews....k-witt-resigns/

Karns has a new principal in Kim Towe and a new AD in Charlie Sheets, who came over from Knoxville Central earlier in the week. It will be interesting to see in what direction they go with a new hire.

Ouch. Too bad for Karns. Probably the best coach they have had in a long time, which sadly isn't saying much. Took them to the playoffs in 2011, though. Pretty big feat at Karns. Whoever takes over will have their proverbial work cut out for them, for sure. Good luck on your search, Beavers.

Since it's so close to the season, maybe Coach Witt had a successor lined up before he resigned. I hate it for Karns. Starting over again with a new principal, (another) new AD, new football coach. Hopefully thay can achieve some continuity with this latest group.

Since it's so close to the season, maybe Coach Witt had a successor lined up before he resigned. I hate it for Karns. Starting over again with a new principal, (another) new AD, new football coach. Hopefully thay can achieve some continuity with this latest group.

I expect Karns to go the interim route as they did when Reeves was dismissed and Witt was named the interim. With the length of time the process of hiring a new coach takes in Knox County it would be 3-4 weeks before a permanent coach could be put in place, and that is just too close to the start of the season. Naming one of the assistants as an interim would likely be the most sensible thing to do and then do a full search after the season ends.

Karns yet looking for another new coach, Coah Witt was doing a great job trying to make the program at Karns respectful but, sometimes we have to go in different directions for family, I wish him the best and hope Karns can find a coach that wants to be there for the right reasons.

two things. 1 who is the most likely asst. coach to be named the interim?

2. I have often wondered why Karns can't seem to build anything regardless of who the coach is. I know they had some good talent come through 2 years ago & won some games, but then straight back down to 1-9. Can this be a good job?

Location, Location, Location-->Karns is in a bad one

That's certainly part of the problem, but it definitely doesn't explain all of it. Karns has always baffled me. They've always been a good sized school, in a decent part of Knox County. They've even been competitive in other sports over the years (softball, boys' basketball, and track come to mind). But football has never been a part of that success. I tend to believe that they need a Clark Duncan-like presence at Karns. Just look at what he's been able to do at South-Doyle. He's getting more students to come out for football, plus he's keeping the top local talent at SD, rather than witness them play elsewhere.

Heck, when was the last time that Karns kept a head coach for longer than 3-4 consecutive years?

As far as location is concerned, I would argue that Halls is dealing with a similar problem, on a larger scale. They are handcuffed geographically - very little growth in their zone. Most of the growth in that part of Knoxville is in the Gibbs/Corryton area, plus they are surrounded by Powell and Central to the west and south (plus Anderson and Union County to the north).

That's certainly part of the problem, but it definitely doesn't explain all of it. Karns has always baffled me. They've always been a good sized school, in a decent part of Knox County. They've even been competitive in other sports over the years (softball, boys' basketball, and track come to mind). But football has never been a part of that success. I tend to believe that they need a Clark Duncan-like presence at Karns. Just look at what he's been able to do at South-Doyle. He's getting more students to come out for football, plus he's keeping the top local talent at SD, rather than witness them play elsewhere.

Heck, when was the last time that Karns kept a head coach for longer than 3-4 consecutive years?

As far as location is concerned, I would argue that Halls is dealing with a similar problem, on a larger scale. They are handcuffed geographically - very little growth in their zone. Most of the growth in that part of Knoxville is in the Gibbs/Corryton area, plus they are surrounded by Powell and Central to the west and south (plus Anderson and Union County to the north).

Look at who surrounds Karns. Hardin Valley (new is always better), Farragut, Oak Ridge and Privates everywhere near by. Karns is also the one of the very few that I know of in Knox County with no field-house dedicated for football. Often times loyalty to the school is dictated by support to do the job.

Edited by qb#7

Look at who surrounds Karns. Hardin Valley (new is always better), Farragut, Oak Ridge and Privates everywhere near by. Karns is also the one of the very few that I know of in Knox County with no field-house dedicated for football. Often times loyalty to the school is dictated by support to do the job.

Hardin Valley certainly isn't helping now, nor is Grace Christian. I was just thinking back before HVA and GCA opened. You are certainly right about the lack of support. Karns is a great community, but when you don't have a very strong community backing or more parental support, you are going to struggle. At the Powell-Karns game last year, excluding coaches, I think there were twice as much auxiliary/radio/support staff for Powell in the press box than there were for Karns. I understand that not all Knoxville-area schools have a radio broadcast, but where were their stat guys, video guys, etc?

Edited by osunut2