Fargo AA

PUMMELKING

Based on his age & year, I suppose this kid could be considered a landmine; but,,,

• Only 14, future Maple Mountain freshman already has national titles.

Maple Mountain freshman-to-be Taylor Lamont is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

During the wrestling offseason, the soft-spoken 14-year-old dabbles in triathlons, tennis and even piano. But when he steps on to the wrestling mat, he lets loose.

At the recent Schoolboy Duals in Indianapolis, Lamont wrestled for the Utah team and went 8-0 in his freestyle matches and 7-0 in his Greco-Roman matches.

Lamont said he owes a good share of his success to two-time state champion and older brother Grant. For a freshman who has yet to wrestle a match for Maple Mountain, Lamont's goals are lofty.

"He goes out and wins all these tournaments, he breaks his own goals and makes me set my goals higher," said Taylor Lamont. "I have a goal of wrestling in the 2016 Olympics and then wrestling in college."

That Olympic goal would have to happen before Lamont ever steps foot on a college campus, but don't count him out. Two years ago, Lamont won national titles in the freestyle and Greco-Roman disciplines, a feat he hopes to duplicate when that tournament comes to Orem next week.

"National titles are hard to come by, but Taylor has done everything both on and off the mat to be prepared," father Craig Lamont said.

The off-the-mat stuff starts with lifting weights in the morning, followed by drills at home. The afternoon is spent practicing at Utah Valley University or with his club team, Elite Wrestling.

Lamont spent this past weekend in Pocatello, Idaho, at the Western Junior duals tournament where the western region, comprising 15 teams made up of 17- and 18-year-olds, got together for a practice tournament.

Wrestling at 112 pounds, and against wrestlers three to four years older, Lamont laid waste to another bracket, going 7-0 as he prepares for the national tournament where he'll compete at 105 pounds.

While winning nearly every time he steps on the mat, Lamont's head is exactly where it's supposed to be.

"I used to have some fear of losing, but losing is part of being in a sport, and ultimately I wrestle because it's fun," he said. —

A wrestling prodigy

Fourteen-year-old Taylor Lamont won national titles in freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling two years ago, a feat he'll attempt to duplicate next week in Orem.

Lamont recently won all 15 of his matches at the Schoolboy Duals in Indianapolis, going undefeated against age-group wrestlers from across the country.

© Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Prep wrestling

Murphy's next match is West of Iowa who he beat in Greco. Down to 8 remaining in his pool and a max of 6 after this round.

Chalifoux will have the bye and rest this round. His pool has 7 remaining by my count and down to a max of 6 after this round.

Edited by ghouse

Chalifoux may have his AA depending on how the matches in next round go. 3 undefeated wrestlers face 3 wrestlers with 1 lose each. If all of the undefeated wrestlers win then Chalifoux is in the final 4.

Given the match-ups I think it is likely going to go down just that way for him.

Josh,

I agree on Elijah's pool, top two kids look like Cullen or Jimenez based on resume.

The other pool I see being Rossi or Fleetwood as top guys coming out. Hellickson also probably in the mix there with a few others.

Elijah will have to go one match at a time but just had a good start teching the Western Jr runner-up.