Any talent in Region 1?

jakefromstatefarm

Please keep in mind as we start to make predictions and possible match ups that our region is now split into A/AA & AAA. Unless something happens or some of these teams run across each other in a tournament or regular season match these match ups will not take place. Currently Greeneville & Science Hill do not have a scheduled match and will not wrestle each other this season. Since Greeneville is a small school they will compete in the A/AA Region 1 tournament which Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennett, Tennessee, and Morristown East & West will all be in the AAA tournament.

Region 1 (A/AA)

Alcoa

Austin East

CAK

Chuckey-Doak

Elizabethton

Greenback

Greeneville

Happy Valley

Kingston

Knox Catholic

Knox Fulton

Knox Grace

Livingston Academy

North Greene

Pigeon Forge

South Greene

Sullivan East

Sullivan South
Union Co.

West Greene

Im suprised that Storm will be at 132, I figuree he could get back to 26. Anyway I think Williams vs Hudgins would be a better match up.

I agree the Bagley vs Begley match would be fun, my money would be on Bagley.

I would imagine Dean (DB) would be in the mix around 170 also.

Austin Hagerman (THS) might suprise at 220/HWT, missed last year with injury. Not sure what competition looks like at heavy this year...thoughts?

I wish we could see the Begley/Bagley match but with football i wouldnt be suprised if Begelys up at 60. To make up for it we will probably see quite a few match ups with Bagley and Broyles, Frye and Broyles, and even more Frye and Bagley matches. I wouldnt be suprised to see Bagley back down at 45 though. That being said I wouldnt be suprised to see Rolston down at 45 either. He was kind of undersized up at 52 last season. Also what about Landon Porter from Morristown East? He qualified last season at 52 and I heard he put some work in over the summer. He was also undersized for his weight but I wouldnt be suprized to see him anywhere from 45-60.

What about Boatman from Greeneville at 126/132, Vance at 126/132 against Vaughn and Williams. Also, Irvin should be back and healthy probably at or around 152. He qualified as a Fresh but has had two seasons of injury? Carlson 152/160 qualified as a So. but missed last year. Any chances for these guys?

Nope. No hope for these guys. Especially Jon. He got lucky his sophomore year and hasn't worked hard at all since then.... Joking.

Of course these kids will do well. Especially with the new small school split. If everything goes as it should and they all stay healthy (and make weight at the region tournament) I think Jon should have a state title and a couple others should be able to get state medals as well. I like Josh's chance of finishing pretty high as a sophomore.

Also, they'll have a tough freshman HWT this season as well.

Edited by KingGreene

We never hear anything about Jeff County. Do they have the Internet down there? Any news?

well they have their 106 blanco coming back this season but other than that they're pretty young. They have some tough freshman to watch though. Keep an eye out for Luke Collins and Bryson Hux both kids are tough. Hux at 20 and Collins at 26.

Nope. No hope for these guys. Especially Jon. He got lucky his sophomore year and hasn't worked hard at all since then.... Joking.

Of course these kids will do well. Especially with the new small school split. If everything goes as it should and they all stay healthy (and make weight at the region tournament) I think Jon should have a state title and a couple others should be able to get state medals as well. I like Josh's chance of finishing pretty high as a sophomore.

Also, they'll have a tough freshman HWT this season as well.

Awwwww....we'll be lucky to get 14 kids on the mat at the same time. 

I'm extremely lucky this year.  The kids are motivated and are working hard.  We've had a great summer with some really good days and some days with just 3 or 4 showing up.  My football kids are working hard  - got three or four that are starting.  Heavyweight should be tough for us this year with Jamison and a couple of other newcomers really in a dogfight for the varsity spot.  It should be one of the most competitive spots in our line-up.  We got some sorting out to do at a few other weights as well.  It's what makes this the greatest sport in the world though.

Good luck to all you guys.

Since we are on the small school topic, there are several young kids from East that will make some noise this year. 

Hicks (106 last year weight)--had close to a 30 win season as a freshman, a little inconsistent (as would be expected from a freshman), should do well this year.

Chase (120) needs to improve consistency, not the best region tournament but looked really good at times throughout the year, was leading region champ by 8 at one point in reg season match before losing by 2. 

Berg (145) lost region consolation semi-final match by 2 to Bagley

Elliott (170) just missed state by overtime loss in consolation semi, over 30 wins in 2013

East should be solid this year.  Will be fun to watch region duals.

Edited by tmarshall7

How many kids did East lose?

How many kids did Greeneville lose?

They are more than likely the two to beat. What are the predictions here weight by weight if anyone dares?

It will be a tough match.  It's always a tough match.  Tim will have his guys ready and so will I.  Other than that you can guess about weight classes. 

We are 4.5 months from that match.  We lost three really key wrestlers - Marshall Brown, Atlas Fagundes and Jared Bond.  My guys know they have some big shoes to fill and they are pushing each other to step into the holes that those three guys left.  We lost a total of 6 or 7 seniors total with about half of those guys seeing serious varsity time.