Interesting conversation re: private schools in Nashville

big red big blue

I had a conversation recently that was....I don't know....interesting? eye opening?

I've been coaching one of my kids' sports with a White's Creek grad who played there during the years when White's Creek was a great program (early 90's).  He went on to play major college football, and is now heavily involved in a youth football league in Nashville.  First, it was stunning to hear how serious youth football is in some corners at the first, second, third grade level.  But most shocking of all I guess was that he said all of these parents were trying to "showcase" their kids for the private schools.  He said the coaches of kids at the 5th-6th grade level have to deal with crazy parents who want their kids on the field, getting the ball, so that the private schools will see them, because that's how they are going to get into the private schools.  He said (and I'm just quoting here) that all the private schools are there "observing" every week.  His goal was for his son to go to MBA, Ensworth, or BA...he has his 9-yr-old son working with a track coach to make him a better runner.  He said if that didn't work out, then he'd be moving to Rutherford County for his son to play there.  In his mind, those are your two choices--private schools (choice #1) or Rutherford County (#2).

This guy honestly thought it was great, because in his mind he never got the same opportunity.  He didn't really feel anything at all about his alma mater, Whites Creek, once a real powerhouse, falling off the map while MBA, BA, Ens, etc., have risen over the past 20 years, largely with a lot of players who may have played at metro Nashville schools like Whites Creek.

So I guess I conclude two things....youth football is really serious, and I suppose is going to yield really good players...and a lot of these families have their sights set on private schools.  I suspect the rich are going to keep getting richer....is it all a good thing?  I don't know....certainly different than what I imagined.

I had a conversation recently that was....I don't know....interesting? eye opening?

I've been coaching one of my kids' sports with a White's Creek grad who played there during the years when White's Creek was a great program (early 90's).  He went on to play major college football, and is now heavily involved in a youth football league in Nashville.  First, it was stunning to hear how serious youth football is in some corners at the first, second, third grade level.  But most shocking of all I guess was that he said all of these parents were trying to "showcase" their kids for the private schools.  He said the coaches of kids at the 5th-6th grade level have to deal with crazy parents who want their kids on the field, getting the ball, so that the private schools will see them, because that's how they are going to get into the private schools.  He said (and I'm just quoting here) that all the private schools are there "observing" every week.  His goal was for his son to go to MBA, Ensworth, or BA...he has his 9-yr-old son working with a track coach to make him a better runner.  He said if that didn't work out, then he'd be moving to Rutherford County for his son to play there.  In his mind, those are your two choices--private schools (choice #1) or Rutherford County (#2).

This guy honestly thought it was great, because in his mind he never got the same opportunity.  He didn't really feel anything at all about his alma mater, Whites Creek, once a real powerhouse, falling off the map while MBA, BA, Ens, etc., have risen over the past 20 years, largely with a lot of players who may have played at metro Nashville schools like Whites Creek.

So I guess I conclude two things....youth football is really serious, and I suppose is going to yield really good players...and a lot of these families have their sights set on private schools.  I suspect the rich are going to keep getting richer....is it all a good thing?  I don't know....certainly different than what I imagined.

What these parents are really trying to say " We are trying to get into the private schools without having to pay the tuition or a greatly reduced amount.   I'm sure if these parents are willing to pay the $20k plus a year tuition they can get into the school in most cases.  That line is much shorter than the line for full-paid tuition. Yes, I know the family has to qualify for the amount but the school allocates their budgets with whatever their school priorities actually are at that time.   Some private schools put these funds all on athletes and some but it on academics or well rounded and deserving students.   

Youth sports is out of control.  There are 32 pro teams with 53 players on each roster.  So there are less than 1,700 "jobs" available each year.  The average time in the league for a player who "makes it" is nothing.  We convince ourselves that we are giving our kids opportunities we never had.  When we should be helping prepare them for the 60-70 years they will have to live after sports is over for them.  I think everyone who can provide their child a private, Christian education should do it.  Live in a smaller house, work two jobs, drive old cars, whatever.  You cannot get an equal education in most public schools in TN.  And for all the "sheltering your kids" talk I've heard my whole life, the FACT is they need to be prepared for the 21st century job opportunities rather than the remote possibility of playing professional sports.  They need to play high school sports for the experience and character-building team sports provides.  But don't kid yourself about the college scholarships or pro contracts. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with the craziness of it all. Crazy in a funny way, but crazy nonetheless.

But maybe the end game is not the NFL or the BCS, but just to get their child into college. Plenty of colleges will take their child if they are smart enough to endure the classroom and tough enough to endure the field/court. It's a viable tactic for the "getting into State U" strategery.

While I'll agree that most public schools cannot match the privates' academic resources, I don't think private schools are worth the money.  I went to Baylor for one year and then to Northside Junior High and City High, when they were at their worst.  I consider myself a product of public education, and I think I turned out okay.  I went to UTC on an academic scholarship and worked my way through medical school.  No expensive private high schools or colleges.  My kids started at private schools because I could afford it, but I soon realized that it wasn't worth the money, and they weren't very happy.  I moved them back to public schools, where they were exposed more to the real world, and they were much happier.  All three are now attending college on academic scholarships.

Parents who depend on the school to make their children succeed academically are lazy.  I succeeded because of the work ethic and expectations instilled upon me by my mom and dad.  My children are doing the same.  If these parents put half the effort into academics that they put into athletics, their kids could probably excell academically even at a failing public school.  Their kids would have a better chance of getting an academic scholarship to college than an athletic one, and they would be better prepared for life.

Edited by MountainTroll
  • Upvote 1

While I'll agree that most public schools cannot match the privates' academic resources, I don't think private schools are worth the money.  I went to Baylor for one year and then to Northside Junior High and City High, when they were at their worst.  I consider myself a product of public education, and I think I turned out okay.  I went to UTC on an academic scholarship and worked my way through medical school.  No expensive private high schools or colleges.  My kids started at private schools because I could afford it, but I soon realized that it wasn't worth the money, and they weren't very happy.  I moved them back to public schools, where they were exposed more to the real world, and they were much happier.  All three are now attending college on academic scholarships.

Parents who depend on the school to make their children succeed academically are lazy.  I succeeded because of the work ethic and expectations instilled upon me by my mom and dad.  My children are doing the same.  If these parents put half the effort into academics that they put into athletics, their kids could probably excell academically even at a failing public school.  Their kids would have a better chance of getting an academic scholarship to college than an athletic one, and they would be better prepared for life.

Random question and off topic. But for you as a medicinal professional (since you said you went to UTC and did medicine), what do you think of Obamacare and its impact on the healthcare industry?

I just like asking and learning...

Random question and off topic. But for you as a medicinal professional (since you said you went to UTC and did medicine), what do you think of Obamacare and its impact on the healthcare industry?

I just like asking and learning...

Way too complex of an issue to summarize, but I truly believe it will be a very costly disaster.  Doesn't fix any of healthcare's problems of high cost, profiteers, inefficiencies, redundancies, poor service, and poor outcomes.  Also not the best way of getting more people better access to the system.  I believe it will damage the good parts of the system and make the bad parts even worse;  all at a terribly high cost to taxpayers.

Some private schools have very good academics and some private schools have not so good academics , just like some public schools have good academics and have not so good academics.

I never have understood why some people think all privates are alike or all public schools are alike. Each school is unique.

Some very good points, especially your last one -- success ultimately depends on the student, not the school. Whether a private school is worth the money is a subjective issue that varies for each kid. Brentwood Academy was a superb fit for me -- the intimate Christian environment gave me the confidence and relationships I needed to succeed. While I would have done fine at Brentwood High School -- an awesome place -- my personal makeup is different because of what I received at BA.

Objectively, it is evident is that many private schools have higher acceptance rates to top colleges, higher test scores and a wider array of extracurricular activities. They do not guarantee success, but they can provide valuable opportunities for students to create their own success. But I found that a private school's worth is found not solely in its academic resources, but also in its tight-knit environment and ideological perspective. Those two factors are not easily quantifiable, and they are the reasons why my parents sacrificed to send me to BA. Those factors are also reasons why private schools are not good fits for some kids.

Having said these things, I would be thrilled to send my (hypothetical) child to a strong public school if it seemed to be a good fit. If I have done my job at home, my child will hopefully be ambitious and equipped for success. As long as a school -- public or private -- provides top-notch opportunities for students to work toward success, it is a valuable place.

Edited by WesVLT

They don't seem to have these problems in Murfreesboro or Williamson County even with BA.  It comes down to local governments period.  How bad do they WANT to have great school systems?

Also Ensworth, MBA and BA amongst others, only have a very small percentage of Metro Nashville kids.  Think about it, Ensworth probably has 20 kids, MBA probably 10 or so in their entire system and BA maybe 30 tops. That's it and we're talking 7th-12th grades.  Privates have very little effect on metro schools IMO.  

Furthermore, most inter-city kids (or middle class kids, which most of the kids in question in truth are)  can't afford to attend MBA from PreK-12.  I've never heard anyone say "Richard Bowers should have QB'd Hillsboro High to two state championships instead of Ensworth" or "Conner McDermott could have been the best TE at Hillsboro High".  The issue is only raised in reverse questioning the merits of inner-city kids and parents.  The "other" kids at these schools are also assigned to public schools.  

Food for thought: the best football player (Corn Elder) and the best basketball players (Elder, Jalen Lindsey) of recent years, played for schools inside of Metro Nashville.  But, they are both are from Murfreesboro.  Did that destroy the fabric of football and basketball in Murfreesboro?  No.  Not by a long shot.  

Nashville Metro schools, with a few exceptions,  don't have a desire to be great at sports or education.  If your child can leave for a private, one should surely consider it. 

Edited by jrmsu2010