Top Class A teams this year

SportsfanTN2010

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from upper East Tennessee and have been coaching for about 7 to 8 years now and it's funny when you get the pleasure of going down to Murfreesboro and watching all these great basketball teams compete and talk with other great coaches the first thing you notice when you mention the names Lamar Rogers and Jim Brown is a smirk on some of these peoples faces. Don't get me wrong I have had the honor of sitting down with Jim and speaking about how well his teams compete and how well they play the game in general and he's a very humble coach but there is a reason for that so I am told. From the open facilities year around to the snatching up of the girl from york a couple years back. Now dont "quote" me on this but I hear he is very demanding of them staying in the gym year round and let's just say it's not "open gym". But who are we to judge these schools or coaches? Most coaches/teams are using basketball and instructing as we speak right now at this time of the year.Sure if im a coach and I hear a player isn't happy where she is at and it's within good distance sure I am going to go get her. If not someone else will. But my main point I am trying to get across is alot of coaches do this atleast the ones that are very competitive and want to get down the road.But if anyone wants to blame anybody dont blame the coaches blames the A.D or the Principal or the School System. And which if you are in a small town area where it's mostly backwoods and you have a big tradition of winning state title after state title I don't really see who is going to stop them.

I am from upper East Tennessee and have been coaching for about 7 to 8 years now and it's funny when you get the pleasure of going down to Murfreesboro and watching all these great basketball teams compete and talk with other great coaches the first thing you notice when you mention the names Lamar Rogers and Jim Brown is a smirk on some of these peoples faces. Don't get me wrong I have had the honor of sitting down with Jim and speaking about how well his teams compete and how well they play the game in general and he's a very humble coach but there is a reason for that so I am told. From the open facilities year around to the snatching up of the girl from york a couple years back. Now dont "quote" me on this but I hear he is very demanding of them staying in the gym year round and let's just say it's not "open gym". But who are we to judge these schools or coaches? Most coaches/teams are using basketball and instructing as we speak right now at this time of the year.Sure if im a coach and I hear a player isn't happy where she is at and it's within good distance sure I am going to go get her. If not someone else will. But my main point I am trying to get across is alot of coaches do this atleast the ones that are very competitive and want to get down the road.But if anyone wants to blame anybody dont blame the coaches blames the A.D or the Principal or the School System. And which if you are in a small town area where it's mostly backwoods and you have a big tradition of winning state title after state title I don't really see who is going to stop them.

Parents have more to say about student moves than most people believe. Some parents are "coach hunters". The peak of Shelbyville success is a good example, the coach moves on, the program goes down. Edited by jimbo44

I agree with ya there jimbo. I have noticed to around our parts, lets say for instance you have a highly talented player that is a home grown girl went to the same elementary and middle school that feeds into your high school system and even mommy and daddy did the same thing. Well the coach knows she's a stud coming in but know's he or she has to treat her like every other kid and make her walk the line no matter if it bends or breaks him and now little  we will call her shirley lol but my point being you see so many freshman across the state that come in that have no clue how tough it is adjusting to the high school level the first sign of dicipline you show towards the kid or no matter how much you ride the kid just for the fact you know this girl is going to be special down the road and this is where your comment jimbo makes it so true,Mommy and Daddy's escape is transferring their kid to a different school or they just dont see the realism as the example you are trying to extend towards their kid, But most of the time when they leave it's somewhere better.

It doesn't matter you have to play with the team you have time will tell who the best is and who has was it takes to make it to the Glass House,

Just sit back and let me educate you. If you are in Smyrna and need directions to Murfreesboro, you better ask somebody in person because mapquest will turn a 20 minute trip into 4 hours.I don't care if you are in Florida trying to get to Murfreesboro,  your Tom Tom or Garmin is going to take you through Gainesboro. This has been a public service anouncment.

Edited by JCcoonhunter

I am from upper East Tennessee and have been coaching for about 7 to 8 years now and it's funny when you get the pleasure of going down to Murfreesboro and watching all these great basketball teams compete and talk with other great coaches the first thing you notice when you mention the names Lamar Rogers and Jim Brown is a smirk on some of these peoples faces. Don't get me wrong I have had the honor of sitting down with Jim and speaking about how well his teams compete and how well they play the game in general and he's a very humble coach but there is a reason for that so I am told. From the open facilities year around to the snatching up of the girl from york a couple years back. Now dont "quote" me on this but I hear he is very demanding of them staying in the gym year round and let's just say it's not "open gym". But who are we to judge these schools or coaches? Most coaches/teams are using basketball and instructing as we speak right now at this time of the year.Sure if im a coach and I hear a player isn't happy where she is at and it's within good distance sure I am going to go get her. If not someone else will. But my main point I am trying to get across is alot of coaches do this atleast the ones that are very competitive and want to get down the road.But if anyone wants to blame anybody d7ont blame the coaches blames the A.D or the Principal or the School System. And which if you are in a small town area where it's mostly backwoods and you have a big tradition of winning state title after state title I don't really see who is going to stop them.

I'm sitting here wondering exactly how to comment on this post as i see it as an attempt to slight Coach Brown and his teams achievements in a very subtle way.  Coach Brown built our girls program from ashes.  Yes we won a state championship in 1973 but girls basketball in Jackson County had hit an all time low when he took over.  We were everyone's homecoming game.  His ability to teach the game and get the most of his players is why people want him to coach their kids.  JC won 4 straight state championships in Class AA from 2000-2003 and had a Silver in 99 with all the players having grown up in Jackson County and their parents parents grew up in Jackson County.  We had the twins from York move in several years ago but did NOT win a Gold ball during that period.  Last years starting 5, that won the state championship all grew up in Jackson County.  They were born and raised here!  Have we had a couple of girls move in, yes we have and so has Clarkrange and any other successful program but its not like we have them show up every year and our team is made up of girls from all over the country like most of the private schools.  We are successful because of the dedication of Coach Brown, our players, their parents and our community.  There is no blame to throw around to anyone, so in the future please refrain from spreading false information about our program.   :popcorneater:

Just sit back and let me educate you. If you are in Smyrna and need directions to Murfreesboro, you better ask somebody in person because mapquest will turn a 20 minute trip into 4 hours.I don't care if you are in Florida trying to get to Murfreesboro,  your Tom Tom or Garmin is going to take you through Gainesboro. This has been a public service anouncment.

Thats a good looking walker dog you got there!  Love the way he is hugging that tree!!!!

I watched them practice at the park on the new outdoor facility. There were no coaches present. The girls were doing it on their own. They work hard to get better. Many teams only practice when the coach makes them. These girls are at the park shooting or playing pick up games against boys nearly every afternoon. While most kids are out running the roads or laying on the couch; these young ladies are playing basketball. May be the reason they have an edge. I was impressed. Just yesterday I watched 8 of the girls beat up on a group of boys in a very competitive pick up game at the park. No coaches were present. When did playing at the park or in the yard become a violation? They really look good . The 3 big girls inside will be the best 3 "bigs" in the upper cumberland. You can take that to the bank!