Knotts West vs. Mairvul

STARSNBARS

I think Maryville wins, but I hope West makes it a much more entertaining/competitive game than Webb and Alcoa did...I think West has a tremendous ground game, however I don't think they have the passing game to keep Maryville honest like they did last year. Maryville's front 7 has been beyond impressive in those first two games and I expect them to be no different in this game especially if West is one dimensional on offense. I think West defense is a lot better than last year as well as their team chemistry (I heard from a parent the team was divided last year and even Cummings at times didn't like his team as much as he did the 2010 and 2011 squad-whatever that means).

That Being said I hope for a fun, exciting game and injury free for both teams as they march on after this week to claim gold balls.

Go West!

Do you know the last time West beat Farragut before last year? 1996! West beat Powell for the first time since 96 in 2006 and hasn't beat them since.

So you agree with me that West does not ALWAYS choke against Farragut since West won last year?  And yes, West's season has ended the last 2 years at Powell.  Hard to call losing back to back years in the playoffs "choking".  Come on now Runnin - you have to admit West actually has a program now that is at least in the discussion when it comes to 5A football.  I'm not ready to start calling for Gold Balls on Sutherland Ave, but West has not been a team trying to fight for at least a winning record for a few years now.  They are holding their own as a 5A school in what I would argue is one of the toughest districts in the state. 

Merit I agree with you. When I was at West in the late 90's early 2000's we only won 12 games...now West is averaging 9-10 wins a season, which I never thought I would see back then. That's what makes what West has done lately so impressive from where we have been in just a few years...

Last year West finally got the Farragut monkey off their back (hadn't beaten them since 1972 of course they didn't play every year since then) and they have beaten Knoxville's precious Bearden Bulldogs 3 straight years looking for 4 again this year. The next step for the program is to push through that semi-final game and meet Henry County for the state championship this year - of course team has to stay healthy and keep doing their thing.

So you agree with me that West does not ALWAYS choke against Farragut since West won last year?  And yes, West's season has ended the last 2 years at Powell.  Hard to call losing back to back years in the playoffs "choking".  Come on now Runnin - you have to admit West actually has a program now that is at least in the discussion when it comes to 5A football.  I'm not ready to start calling for Gold Balls on Sutherland Ave, but West has not been a team trying to fight for at least a winning record for a few years now.  They are holding their own as a 5A school in what I would argue is one of the toughest districts in the state. 

West is perennially one of the best teams in the state now....no question. But the facts are the facts. West had no business losing to Powell last year. Absolutely none. But they did :?:

Edited by RunninRebels

West is perennially one of the best teams in the state now....no question. But the facts are the facts. West had no business losing to Powell last year. Absolutely none. But they did :?

I would argue that West did not lose to Powell, I would say West lost to Derek Rang. Hard to beat a coach who knows you well.

West is perennially one of the best teams in the state now....no question. But the facts are the facts. West had no business losing to Powell last year. Absolutely none. But they did :?:

Do you think West was really that much better than Powell last year? West has been a top team as has Powell. The fact is West has got put out by good football teams over the last few yrs. Maybe its that simple, and not the fact they choked. And everyone can say it was due to Rang, but he didnt cause the 2 to 3 turnovers. Just my thoughts Edited by powellphoto