RUNNING THE SCORE UP...2013 Edition

CHAMPDDS

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I do not understand is why the people who are upset with lopsided scores are not questioning their own coach if they asked the opposing coach if he was willing to shorten the game.  TSSAA utilizes NFHS rules and the rules state that "a game may be shortened with the agreement of both coaches and the head referee."  I know for a fact that no referee in our association would refuse a request by the coaches to shorten the match.  

Edited by ref2coach

The thing I do not understand is why the people who are upset with lopsided scores are not questioning their own coach if they asked the opposing coach if he was willing to shorten the game.  TSSAA utilizes NFHS rules and the rules state that "a game may be shortened with the agreement of both coaches and the head referee."  I know for a fact that no referee in our association would refuse a request by the coaches to shorten the match.  

Just curious how often this is requested?

D

D

It is a really awkward situation... if you are beating a team, do you go over to the coach and say "hey, I know we are beating you quite badly, so do you wanna shorten the game?".  

I've been in situations where the other coach has come up to me and asked for the game to be shortened, but I have never approached the other team to ask.  

It is a really awkward situation... if you are beating a team, do you go over to the coach and say "hey, I know we are beating you quite badly, so do you wanna shorten the game?".  

I've been in situations where the other coach has come up to me and asked for the game to be shortened, but I have never approached the other team to ask.

definately an awkward situation...kinda like getting the other coach in a headlock or a Figure 4 and asking them to say "UNCLE"...I know I used to ask the othe other coach if I would be insulting him or his players if I started playing down with less players on my team when that situation showed up...what I never did was ask my girls or boys to quit playing

D

A couple of times a season.  Once the score differential is 5 or so, I will swing by the trailing coach and ask, "would you be interested in shortening the game?"  If the answer is yes, I go to the leading coach and as the same question.  If the answer is yes, I then ask them to meet at the half line and come up with a time and let me know.  Most common is that they will say about 10 more minutes of play and they both empty their benches.  

We had a couple of situations like that during this season and our coach switched the girls around to other positions and worked on possession.  We played balls back to our defense and keeper and just didn't pound it down the opponent's throat.  There are ways to continue to play without humiliating the other team and still allow for your team to learn a thing or two.