RUNNING THE SCORE UP...2013 Edition

CHAMPDDS

Do not limit a private school's "zoning" to just Knox County. There are athletes from Blount, Roane, Anderson, Loudon, and even Monroe County that have chosen to attend CAK. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with private schools saying that they do not have an advantage in the pool of players that they have to choose from. Public schools, most of which are not open zoned (and yes, I know Alcoa and Maryville are), have a pool of players that are zoned into that school. If someone lives in Knoxville, they can not just decide to go play a sport in Anderson County (legally that is). 

Also, club soccer does affect the quality of teams. However, I would propose that if you look at the cost of club soccer now, it is very difficult for rural schools to have players that are on club teams. If families like mine who have the money to send our children to private schools, we probably have the funds to play for FC Alliance, Crush, Blount United, etc. Many others in Monroe, Roane, Cumberland, Loudon, etc. do not. 

My feeling is that if a private school does not want to play DII, then they should be required to play in the highest classification for that particular sport.  So in soccer, if a private wants to play in public classification then they should play in AAA. Same goes for tennis, football (6A of course), golf, basketball, etc.  Just think of all the great competition and great games that we all want to witness in AAA with the privates playing with Farragut, Bearden, Houston, Brentwood, Franklin, etc.

I think I saw where 12 out of 16 A/AA girls championships have been won by private schools, and 15 out 18 boys A/AA championships.

Just my two cents worth.

Well stated SoccerFan.

Initially, this is why they made the multiplier.  It affects football and some other sports, but not soccer because of the combined classification (of A and AA).  There aren't enough schools that play soccer to have separate divisions.  Again, football is the driving force for any change.

I don't have a problem with playing "up".  I always scheduled Farragut, Bearden, etc.  I felt it made us better.  Sometimes we would win, and sometimes we would get spanked.  The thing is, it isn't our decision to move up or out of the division.  That is the administration.  So why hammer the teams and players.  We are just going to play where we are put and do the best we can.  If we are told to move up, we will (Like Catholic did for a couple of years).  They were competitive, but didn't go as far as they did in A/AA).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all know that having access to kids who play travel soccer is the most significant factor (not the only factor) in determining success in high school soccer. That pool of travel players is concentrated in metropolitan areas (typically a major city and surrounding counties. Metropolitan areas are 20 years ahead in the development of soccer in their communities vs. rural counties.

How many public A-AA teams have access to that pool of players? In the Nashville area, Whitehouse and Page does and they have been successful the last few years in A-AA. For a short time Station Camp did. They are now in AAA.

What happened to Ridgeway since they made the move to AAA?  Both the boys and girls teams were successful.  Was there a huge demographic switch?

I agree.

I haven't heard much about Ridgeway since they moved up.  Don't really know them too well, but they didn't have the same success in AAA as they did in A/AA.

We in your District......which you rather easily win every year....unless Catholic is playing....then it gets tougher! :blush: I'm just playing around with ya.  Ridgeway 12 years ago, been a while.  My guess is you probably got somewhat "bored" with playing in A-AA because you kept winning it. 

Those open zoned schools you mentioned are around the Knoxville area.....but not actually INSIDE of Knoxville.  My guess is most of their players can access the club situation in the area, then when it comes time for school to start back up they return to their respective schools.  Plus, if they really want too....they could attend CAK or KC if their parents can make that happen?  I have relatives in Roane County and one of their kids goes to Knoxville Christian School, which I think is in that area too? 

I'm way out in the sticks.....I support the Oneida Lady Indians.  Not the least bit embarassed to be "associated" with them.

:thumb: Kazanity :thumb:

I hear ya.

I think the LOCATION of the private schools is key.  Small school in a larger city.  MOST of the A/AA schools happen to be more rural, thus a smaller demographic for players and club teams.  

Oneida, a few years back, gave us some of the best competition in the district (it may have been region back then).  They had 2 forwards that were incredible.

17SF, it is nice to see a little support from another direction other than mine.  BigG knows the playing field is uneven.....he just thinks if he places enough "mirriors" it makes one look another way.  (What about the "open zone" dudes?)  I know a girl that could easily play at the club level, but at the cost of driving three days to Knoxville, travel to every game, play the fees, etc.....no way!

Kazanannite

17SF, it is nice to see a little support from another direction other than mine.  BigG knows the playing field is uneven.....he just thinks if he places enough "mirriors" it makes one look another way.  (What about the "open zone" dudes?)  I know a girl that could easily play at the club level, but at the cost of driving three days to Knoxville, travel to every game, play the fees, etc.....no way!

Kazanannite

No, that actually isn't the case.  You state facts, I state facts.  You interpret them one way, I the other.  

I will never convince you, and you will never convince me.  I have tried to be level headed and cordial in our discussion, but the dead horse has been beaten enough.  It was interesting at the beginning, but now has gotten to be "wash, rinse, and repeat".

I bid you "adieu"

Great being "competitive" but the girls team has never beaten CAK.  Returns every starter next year and still has little chance of beating them.....that means the system is broke to me.  How many State Titles....?  You never answered that question...?  Surely your not embarassed to say it out on this site? 

Kazzy

Great being "competitive" but the girls team has never beaten CAK.  Returns every starter next year and still has little chance of beating them.....that means the system is broke to me.  How many State Titles....?  You never answered that question...?  Surely your not embarassed to say it out on this site? 

Kazzy

Wow.  Seriously?  It has nothing to do with embarrassment.  It has to do with humility.  BigG has NEVER bragged about his winning on this site, even though he could.

For the record, when he was coaching, he won 6 state titles with the boys in 8 years.

Before you go....how many titles?  What Dorrance did at North Carolina was amazing because he operated just like everyone else.  The Private Schools......not so much.  How many times have you finished outside of 1 or 2 in your own district? (I already know.....never!)

And why are you talking so much smack to him?  He has been very kind in his responses to you.  This just shows your true colors.

Wow!  My kid goes to a small private school and they haven't mailed her State Championship to her yet?  When do we get it?  I didn't know that only private schools get State Championships!  That's neat!  Now we won't have to play folks like Franklin, Brentwood, Ravenwood and Clarksville any more!  So great to know the good news!!

How many State Championships has CAK won overall?  Boys....Girls!  You act like I'm tying a noose around your head.....it is a simple question.  I don't mean him personally....the school?  I am not attacking him at all, just making a point about the unequality of it all.  If it were equal wouldn't there be more diversity at the top?  Just asking.....

Kaz

Well stated SoccerFan.

Initially, this is why they made the multiplier.  It affects football and some other sports, but not soccer because of the combined classification (of A and AA).  There aren't enough schools that play soccer to have separate divisions.  Again, football is the driving force for any change.

I don't have a problem with playing "up".  I always scheduled Farragut, Bearden, etc.  I felt it made us better.  Sometimes we would win, and sometimes we would get spanked.  The thing is, it isn't our decision to move up or out of the division.  That is the administration.  So why hammer the teams and players.  We are just going to play where we are put and do the best we can.  If we are told to move up, we will (Like Catholic did for a couple of years).  They were competitive, but didn't go as far as they did in A/AA).

I would be interested in seeing a study on what it would look like if there was no multiplier at all and the Private schools had to play at the highest classification in all sports. My guess is that a number of private schools would then decide to go DII and you would have a bigger DII pool of teams (large and small).  I think your district numbers in soccer would be fewer in A/AA. Districts of only 8 unlike some districts that have 12 or 13.  There may be fewer A/AA schools but I think your overall competition would be better.

For example, I looked up CAK's boys schedule from last year versus their district opponents. They scored 100 goals in 12 games against district opponents and allowed only 1.  That is astonishing to me. How in the world can they say that playing in A/AA gives them any competition. Also, if many of the private schools play AAA schools  during the regular season, what would be the difference come playoff time. Why not petition TSSAA  for a rule change for the chance to play better competition during the playoffs?

There is no easy answer but based on what I have read from states such as Georgia, Texas, Kentucky and Ohio, there is a growing trend to seperate the public and private classifications.