10AA 2013

midtnmale

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If east does win and pearl should definately win then that sets up the game of the week in the mid state in my opinion.

That statement is very tru....But for some reason something keeps telling me that east wont win...maybe in rite maybe im wrong guess we will have to wait untill friday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the regular season is coming to a close after tonight's games. 10 AA will have three teams, and possibly a fourth, in the post-season. And, depending on the seeding, there's a chance for three wins in the first round of games. 

Straford at Whites Creek: Very early in the season it looked as if the Spartans would make some noise in the district. But they never got back into the winning ledger after their win at Howard. I think if the had more players on their roster they would have been a much better team. I only counted thirty players when they played Pearl-Cohn. I can never figure out Whites Creek. Some years they're great. But most years they are average, at best.  I say that the Spartans finish out the season with a win. 

Lipscomb at East Nashville (TPS): Lipscomb has been a solid team this year. Although some question their schedule. I think they're been good and have played to the best of their abilities.  8-1 is a good year. East Nashville looked great until around mid-season. I don't think it was a fluke that the Eagles almost lost to the Panthers. After watching East in two games I feel that they are only a notch above Maplewood offensively, and not much better in terms of defense. Which is to say, not still not great.  I'm picking the Mustangs.

Pearl-Cohn at Maplewood: Pearl-Cohn has  easily been the top team in the district this season.  In fact, outside of a drubbing by MBA in the first half of the season, no one has even come close to beating the Firebirds. The Panthers have combined a tough schedule with an inconsistent offense and  an average defense to make for a bad season. While they may still make the playoffs I  don't like their chances for winning a game. Defensively, the Panther's weakest spot is stopping the run. That's where the Firebirds excel. I easily see Pearl-Cohn winning. 

10AA was able to get four teams into the playoffs. That's the good news. The bad news is they play each other in the first round. It's a shame that they play each other in the first round. But, we're not the only district with first round games against district opponents. 

East Nashville surprised me with their win last week over Lipscomb Academy. Not so much for the win as the final score. In recent years Lispcomb hasn't done very well against teams with speed. So I expect the Mustangs to lose this time around. But maybe not by as much.

The final outcome of  the first Pearl-Cohn/Maplewood game went as expected with a win by the Firebirds. But the points put up by the Panthers was another surprise from last Friday. I still see this as a win by Pearl-Cohn. I don't think the Panthers have the system and athletes in place to win against this team. The only question will is will it be closer game or a bigger blow out. 

How did Nashville Christian beat E. Nashville? 

I wasn't at the game. So I couldn't tell you. I do know, after having observed the East Nashville twice, their defense is not very disciplined. It works more on athleticism than sticking with assignments. A team with an offense full of average athletes that plays good assignment football can out-scheme them. 

Thanks.  Someone else had told me something similar too.  I was surprised at last week's Lispcomb/E. Nashville game too.  Tigg had 200 yrds. rushing and LA owned the time of possession.  Odd.

This season East Nashville team reminds me of the Maplewood team that lost to Maryville in the 2007 4A championship game. They had plenty of atheletes. But they didn't play very discipline ball. Perhaps, ironically, this season's Maplewood seems to play a more discipline game on both sides of the ball  than the 2007 team. But, they are lacking some size and speed in critical positions.