Grundy County Football

curtislowe

Say what you want but at least for this season. These boys are seeming like they have pulled it together and now are playing some good ball. But I guess that has nothing to do with coaching though? When we lose its always blamed on the coach. When we win., he never gets any credit. He has pulled a team together that was in disarray a few weeks ago and now we have a chance to run the table.

Say what you want but at least for this season. These boys are seeming like they have pulled it together and now are playing some good ball. But I guess that has nothing to do with coaching though? When we lose its always blamed on the coach. When we win., he never gets any credit. He has pulled a team together that was in disarray a few weeks ago and now we have a chance to run the table.

Who has he beat that is good? They have beat three tems this year with a combined record of 6-18. Is this all it takes to make you happy? He has done what is expected these past three weeks not the rest of the year. He had to be suspended maybe that was someone else's fault.

Maybe you don't understand how coaching works but when a team loses the coach should always take the blame and when a team wins the coach should always give the credit to the kids. Have you read the paper? Has he ever given blame or credit where it belongs?

The last 2 games we have won I believe most teams in the state could beat them. Those are the teams your suppose to win. What were talking about is QUALITY WINS from opponents. Like for instance UT over South Carolina this past weekend. Are you headed to Cumberland county Friday night? This is another cream puff team we should beat. But let's see how they fair against Notre dame.

The last 2 games we have won I believe most teams in the state could beat them. Those are the teams your suppose to win. What were talking about is QUALITY WINS from opponents. Like for instance UT over South Carolina this past weekend. Are you headed to Cumberland county Friday night? This is another cream puff team we should beat. But let's see how they fair against Notre dame.

I might be wrong but I believe we will give Notre Dame all they want and might even possible upset them.

Maybe you don't understand how coaching works but when a team loses the coach should always take the blame and when a team wins the coach should always give the credit to the kids. Have you read the paper? Has he ever given blame or credit where it belongs?

I understand what you are saying, but let me ask you this... Why is this how coaching works? I have coached 203 high school basketball games... some of which we have won and some of which we have lost. One thing that I can tell you is that in those 203 games I have never taken a shot, missed a shot, missed a layup, made a bad pass, fouled a shooter, turned the ball over, missed a defensive assignment, failed to block out, gotten beat for a rebound, or fouled out of a game... All of which have gotten us beat... There have been some games that I have called the wrong defense, called for the wrong offensive play, failed to use timeouts effectively, made erroneous substitutions, gotten ill-timed technical fouls, and not had my team properly prepared... all of which has gotten us beat... My point is, some of our losses are solely my fault However in some of our losses I have coached my butt off and the kids have made the mistakes that cost us the game and the fault falls squarely on them.... Also, some of those losses, we were just absolutely facing a superior opponent and it didn't matter what myself or my players did, we were going to lose the game... My point is this, while parents don't  like to hear it, losing happens and it's not ALWAYS the coach's fault... sometimes the kids just don't perform as they should and they lose. It happens...

Edited by PurpleGrad

Wow I don't see how any coach can go into a game with the mindset that no matter what they do they are going to lose. Where is the faith in your players or your coaching ability? Yeah I get going into games knowing there is a slim chance of you winning, but you still have hope. Going into the same games thinking you will not win no matter what you do (which are your own words) is a totally different thing. If any player on your team was to read that particular post how do you think they would react to it? How would they feel about their coach publicly saying there are games in which you think they cannot win no matter what?

Wow I don't see how any coach can go into a game with the mindset that no matter what they do they are going to lose. Where is the faith in your players or your coaching ability? Yeah I get going into games knowing there is a slim chance of you winning, but you still have hope. Going into the same games thinking you will not win no matter what you do (which are your own words) is a totally different thing. If any player on your team was to read that particular post how do you think they would react to it? How would they feel about their coach publicly saying there are games in which you think they cannot win no matter what?

Hate to be a buzzkill but that is the case sometimes. Some schools just have the athletic superiority that no amount of coaching can prepare for. Now i would be willing to be that he does NOT walk into the locker room and say "Well, guys, we're losing this one but have fun."

But anyone who's not living in a fantasy world is going to know in their mind that winning would be nothing short of a miracle. THis isn't professional sports, where any team could win on a given night. In a way, high school sports are much more unforgiving in that right. Sometimes you can have a group of 15 kids work their butts off for four years or more and never have anything to show for it.

On that note though, i would rather the coach SCHEDULE the far superior team to push his own team and himself. Going into every game knowing you're gonna win will never make you better.

Sorry if i seem combative or argumentative DCTIGERFAN, but that's just my view on sports. Sometimes, it's OKAY to get beat, and even know it's coming. Sometimes that's the only way to learn.

Wow I don't see how any coach can go into a game with the mindset that no matter what they do they are going to lose. Where is the faith in your players or your coaching ability? Yeah I get going into games knowing there is a slim chance of you winning, but you still have hope. Going into the same games thinking you will not win no matter what you do (which are your own words) is a totally different thing. If any player on your team was to read that particular post how do you think they would react to it? How would they feel about their coach publicly saying there are games in which you think they cannot win no matter what?

I didn't say I went in there expecting to win but I have gone into games that I knew it would take our very beat effort and some luck for us to have a chance. Case in point, Christmas Tournament two years ago at Gulf Shore Alabama. We played Pensacola High School. They dressed 15, played 11. Any of their 15 players could have started for most 90% of the Chattanooga area schools. Physically and athletically we couldn't match up and we had nothing for them. We gave it our best effort but it was like your JR Jackets football team playing Alcoa High School. We went out with a game plan to control the basketball and limit our turnovers. They were just too much for us. We lost 98-18. Callipari, Bob Knight and Coach K combined couldn't have win that game with the players that I had, but when we played schools our on size and talent level we competed very well.

If any player on your team was to read that particular post how do you think they would react to it? How would they feel about their coach publicly saying there are games in which you think they cannot win no matter what?

I never said that we go into the game saying we can't win... I talk very honestly and openly with my boys about each opponent and what we can expect. We approach each game with realistic expectations for ourselves... if we meet all of our expectations then we will be in a position to win the game at the end. Last year, only our district games were against teams in our classification, all non-district games were vs teams in higher classification. We went into every game with a strategy to win. Some games we just didn't match up well with our competition and we took some beatings... Our overall record was 10-19, which is not good... Our district record was 10-5 and we won the District Championship even after losing our leading scorer with 9 games to go.... We were prepared for tournament play because of our difficult schedule...

You specifically said in some games, no matter what you done you was going to lose. That means your mindset going into the game was that it was already a loss. Against superior teams why not change your strategy considering its already a loss in your mind and that is how you prepared your team for the game. Since there is no shot clock in high school basketball id rather hold onto the ball the ENTIRE game and have a shot at winning 10-8 besides admitting defeat before the game even starts. If they never control the ball it's going to be hard for them to score many points.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

I never said I was a good coach... never said I was a smart coach... but I do have a good relationship with my players, they understand that I am working for them and that I'll fight for them, most of them buy into what we are doing (the others quit which is OK), and we have fun playing basketball. Two District Championships in four years and picked this year pre-season to finish #1 again... I think most high school basketball programs around here would take that... I could be wrong..