Grundy County Football

curtislowe

My first year as head coach was 06-07. Yes, we had winning records in those three years but that is exactly my point. Last years team was better in terms of teamwork, attitude, effort, academics, coachability, and social behavior than any of those three teams but our record wasn't as good. Which is why win/loss record is not a valid method for determining effectiveness of a team, coach, and program.

I graduated 5 seniors last year but I return 5 who saw significant playing time last year.

So really 07 through 10 you reaped the benefits of the prior coach? Now since 2010 you haven't had a winning season since? If you go 10-19 every year for 5 plus seasons and never finish .500 you should keep your job? You really think you deserve to keep a coaching job with those kinds of results? Honestly if I had results like that and this staff has had and I was a coach they wouldn't have to fire me I would resign on my own. It's more of a pride factor, if I couldn't get the job done I would want someone who could. But like I say 5 years is enough time to see if you have what it takes IMO. I understand why you are defending the staff up here now..........

Edited by Beavcleaver

OK Beav. I am going to play along for a second. Lets say we get a new coach next year. Do you honestly think we are going to get someone to come here and automatically put us in the 7-9 win category? It's not going to happen. It would take him a few years to get there. Then after a couple of years you are going to be right back here saying the same thing. 

I have yet heard anyone answer the question. If not the current coaches, then who would you get? Who would actually come here. Especially reading all the nonsense some of you people write on here. I will continue my support of this staff until they are gone. Personally I believe they will be here next year.

So really 07 through 10 you reaped the benefits of the prior coach? Now since 2010 you haven't had a winning season since? If you go 10-19 every year for 5 plus seasons and never finish .500 you should keep your job? You really think you deserve to keep a coaching job with those kinds of results? Honestly if I had results like that and this staff has had and I was a coach they wouldn't have to fire me I would resign on my own. It's more of a pride factor, if I couldn't get the job done I would want someone who could. But like I say 5 years is enough time to see if you have what it takes IMO. I understand why you are defending the staff up here now..........

Valid questions. To your last point, Yes, I get defensive when coaches are attacked by fans and parents based solely on win/loss records. Everyone knows that high school sports is cyclical in terms of talent, meaning there will be good years and bad years. This is especially true in public school where you coach whatever talent walks through your door instead of being able to "recruit" players.

As for me. Should I be fired? That is a question that has to be answered by my administrator and fortunately he is one that looks at the big picture and not just wins/losses. Things such as.... The boys basketball program at MC is in better shape now that it was when I took over. The TWO previous coaches had a combined record of 69-157 for a winning percentage of 30.5% over the course of their 8 year tenure. The coach before me went 14-71 in three years, never winning more than 7 games in any single year. My 7 year record is 85-118 for a 42% winning percentage. Since 1970, MC boys basketball is 447 - 662 for a 39.9% winning percentage. Since 1970, MC has had 11 winning seasons and I have 3 of those. Since 1970, MC has 5 District Championships and I have 2 of them. Since 1970, there have been 9 head coaches in boys basketball at MC. I am #1 in number of wins, tied for #1 in number of District Championships, #2 in years coaching, #3 in winning percentage, I'm 15 wins away from 100, and I'm 30 wins away from becoming #1 in number of wins for both boys and girls coaches at MC. In my 7 years as coach I have had 100% graduation rate and had two teams that have had a combined team GPA of 3.0+. In the past 7 years we have started the Tip-off Club, expanded the Jr Pro program to have more kids involved than ever, and we've had more volunteer hours with local charities. I get evaluated each year as a coach. What I have been asked to do is to run the boys basketball program, work hard with the boys that I have out there, be competitive in ballgames and represent MCHS in a positive manner. I feel like I am working very hard to accomplish the goals set for me and that I have set for myself, often at the expense of my own family. If I ever feel that I am not being effective, I will walk away from the job. But that decision will never be made based on win/loss record. If at some point my administration feels that I am no longer effective and they replace me, I'll walk away with my head held high knowing that I have worked my rear end off to do the best that I could for MCHS. Simple as that.

Valid questions. To your last point, Yes, I get defensive when coaches are attacked by fans and parents based solely on win/loss records. Everyone knows that high school sports is cyclical in terms of talent, meaning there will be good years and bad years. This is especially true in public school where you coach whatever talent walks through your door instead of being able to "recruit" players.

As for me. Should I be fired? That is a question that has to be answered by my administrator and fortunately he is one that looks at the big picture and not just wins/losses. Things such as.... The boys basketball program at MC is in better shape now that it was when I took over. The TWO previous coaches had a combined record of 69-157 for a winning percentage of 30.5% over the course of their 8 year tenure. The coach before me went 14-71 in three years, never winning more than 7 games in any single year. My 7 year record is 85-118 for a 42% winning percentage. Since 1970, MC boys basketball is 447 - 662 for a 39.9% winning percentage. Since 1970, MC has had 11 winning seasons and I have 3 of those. Since 1970, MC has 5 District Championships and I have 2 of them. Since 1970, there have been 9 head coaches in boys basketball at MC. I am #1 in number of wins, tied for #1 in number of District Championships, #2 in years coaching, #3 in winning percentage, I'm 15 wins away from 100, and I'm 30 wins away from becoming #1 in number of wins for both boys and girls coaches at MC. In my 7 years as coach I have had 100% graduation rate and had two teams that have had a combined team GPA of 3.0+. In the past 7 years we have started the Tip-off Club, expanded the Jr Pro program to have more kids involved than ever, and we've had more volunteer hours with local charities. I get evaluated each year as a coach. What I have been asked to do is to run the boys basketball program, work hard with the boys that I have out there, be competitive in ballgames and represent MCHS in a positive manner. I feel like I am working very hard to accomplish the goals set for me and that I have set for myself, often at the expense of my own family. If I ever feel that I am not being effective, I will walk away from the job. But that decision will never be made based on win/loss record. If at some point my administration feels that I am no longer effective and they replace me, I'll walk away with my head held high knowing that I have worked my rear end off to do the best that I could for MCHS. Simple as that.

DiStPqF.gif

Good Post! Shoot I might have to come and watch a MC Basketball game now and I dont even like basketball.

So really 07 through 10 you reaped the benefits of the prior coach?

Actually, while it looks that way, this couldn't be further from the truth. The three winning seasons were possible because of a shooting guard from Grundy County that became the boys all-time leading scorer at MC and also the Senior class of 2010 led by a 6'9" D1 signee. Only the shooting guard from GC had played for the previous coach. None of the 2009-2010 team had played for the previous coach.

" In my 7 years as coach I have had 100% graduation rate and had two teams that have had a combined team GPA of 3.0+. In the past 7 years we have started the Tip-off Club, expanded the Jr Pro program to have more kids involved than ever, and we've had more volunteer hours with local charities."

This speaks volumes. However the man in charge does not go that extra mile. He makes no effort toward the Jr. Jackets or the youth teams. He expects the Quarterback club to do everything for them. Under his watch two of the biggest fundraisers have bombed. One is dead and the other, the signs on the field have gone from Colquette having them Everywhere all over the field to maybe 1/3 of the field. He won't help sell them. Other coaches have. The only thing outside of the school he does is see to it that the football team is fed by a church on Thursday's before the game. Which prevents him and the team from supporting the Jr. Jacket games.

What you do PurpleGrad is why you are successful in all aspects and most importantly in the things beyond winning and losing. The fact that this coach does none of them is a big reason why the program is in decline.

This speaks volumes. However the man in charge does not go that extra mile. He makes no effort toward the Jr. Jackets or the youth teams.

One thing that I have learned is that as a coach you have to invest something into the team. More often than not that investment has to be time. If you work hard and put in the time good things will happen. That's the lesson I hope my players learn. I never said Bryant was the best man for the job. People like Opie and Beav have said he needs to be fired because of his win/loss record. I say that's bull. But if the stuff that you brought out is true then maybe y'all do need to look for another coach. But again, that's the decision for the admin to make. Change is sometimes inevitable, just make sure the change is for the right reason. Am I the best coach for the job at MC? For folks like Beav that put stock in win/loss records I'm no good at all. But I like to think that I still have positive influences on the lives iof the kids who play for me and isn't that what being a high school coach is all about??? I don't know. Maybe my philosophy is all wrong. But I'm not changing it. Never place importance on # of wins over life building lessons. If Bryant is doing good for the young men of GC, get off his case about wins. It should be easy for everyone to see whether he is or isn't.

Grad you have made good points about why you should keep your job. You have had some success and appear to work hard but as Dillard has said that is why Bryant is having trouble. If he had some success and was involved as much as you those of us who complain wouldn't have as many issues. Plus he has put grundy in the news for all the wrong reasons. Of course there is more to it than wins and loses. Why was Evans run off after two seasons? Did you defend Evans the way you defend bryant? Why do you say it is hard to move people when it isn't? You said I was clueless about the school system yet I proved you wrong. I said I would move people to help fill a coaching position but not just anyone. You have to do what is right for the school first. However if you have P.E. Teachers who won't coach or others who aren't a good fit at the high school I don't see a problem in moving them if that helps to build overall school moral. Which at Grundy is low.

Also I never said he should be fired over wins and loses only. I and many others have had several issues with this staff from the beginning.

Edited by Opie