The Argument -54 rushes in a game by 1 guy-is that too much?

notredame66

Drag bunting and getting hit repetitively are quite different. I know this kid and I assure you he would go until he fell over. Getting hit repetitively wears on rhe body, but doesn't mean the kid is going to want to come out. Competitors compete. That doesn't mean it makes it ok.

Eers good point

The kid was not running out of bounds to avoid hits he was making contact and was being hit

QB Prez just b/c the kid walked away with " NO apparent injury" is not the story here. Perhaps if you stopped wiping the gold balls Crabtree owns you would look at the bigger picture! Perhaps Crabtree didn't realize how many carries Carter had- regardless the question is that is alot of carries for a high school kid - sure he walked off the field but this was this time

Look Crabtree is a great coach can't argue that but lets face it the way BHS was pushing the Indy D line your middle school tailback would have gained 5 yds a carry......

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eers good point

The kid was not running out of bounds to avoid hits he was making contact and was being hit

QB Prez just b/c the kid walked away with " NO apparent injury" is not the story here. Perhaps if you stopped wiping the gold balls Crabtree owns you would look at the bigger picture! Perhaps Crabtree didn't realize how many carries Carter had- regardless the question is that is alot of carries for a high school kid - sure he walked off the field but this was this time

Look Crabtree is a great coach can't argue that but lets face it the way BHS was pushing the Indy D line your middle school tailback would have gained 5 yds a carry......

thank you for starting this topic, but i don't know if i'm more optimistic by those of you who are also sharing concern or more depressed because of the ones missing the point.

This has to be the dumbest thread I have ever read. Are some of you suggesting a limit? Okay. What's the number? Who counts? Can you go over if you REALLY need a first down? Should we limit the number of snaps a fullback is on the field? They are usually hitting whether they have the ball or not? O-line? Can we only trap an end 5 times a game? Im sure he wouldn't have been able to carry it that much if he had not converted on 3rd down. His bad. What about the option quarterback tht gets hit every play?

This has to be the dumbest thread I have ever read. Are some of you suggesting a limit? Okay. What's the number? Who counts? Can you go over if you REALLY need a first down? Should we limit the number of snaps a fullback is on the field? They are usually hitting whether they have the ball or not? O-line? Can we only trap an end 5 times a game? Im sure he wouldn't have been able to carry it that much if he had not converted on 3rd down. His bad. What about the option quarterback tht gets hit every play?

The only limit that was suggested was someone trying to be smart. Somewhere though the kids health has to come in. There is no way that kind of workload can be sustained throughout the year. If he gets close to that many carries each game, he will get injured and that would be a travesty.

Not a limit, but concern. If it were my kid I would be pissed. It is not in the best interest of the kid.

I agree it is too many. As to the pitch count argument, absolutely yes. This is a game played by children and it is imperative the coaches and the school look out for the welfare of the player. Some kids' pitch count could be 10,15 or (none!)....you pick, but anyone with a little knowledge of football immediately realizes 54 carries is excessive. I really don't see how anyone can rationalize around it. This would amount to a 540 carry 10 game season. The NFL considers, for grown men, 300+ carries over a 16 game season a heavy load. Below is Adrian Peterson's 2012 stats: 348 carries 2097yards. 21.7 average a game.

Here is his 6 year (plus one game) career totals: 1772 carries 8942 yards in 90 games= 19.42 per game.

54 carries would be almost three games worth of carries for AP, for a average high school kid it would probably be between 3-5 games worth of carries. Either way, it is too many, even if the kid wants to or can do it. 

If a player is hot feed him the rock! I would think that this amount of carries would not happen every game! If this trend goes on week after week then I would question this! Hopefully this young man is doing well and congrats to Carter and his team on a big win! Best wishes the rest of the way! Can any of you folks tell me how big this young man is and how much he weighs?

The only limit that was suggested was someone trying to be smart. Somewhere though the kids health has to come in. There is no way that kind of workload can be sustained throughout the year. If he gets close to that many carries each game, he will get injured and that would be a travesty.

Not a limit, but concern. If it were my kid I would be pissed. It is not in the best interest of the kid.

I agree with you for the most part. I cannot believe he will get this kind of workload each game. Fatigue definately plays a part in injury, however, I believe the coaches were in communication with him throughout and were aware of a high number of carries. Maybe not exact number but aware. 

I saw a kid carry the ball 46 times in a game.  Our team lost that game, we couldn't stop him.  After the game, I can remember saying 46 carries is child abuse.  I was just kidding at the time, probably because we lost, but I did think it was too many.  If it was my kid I would be pissed.  Wonder what the players dad thought about it.  That's what matters here.  Was it okay with his dad? 

I saw a kid carry the ball 46 times in a game.  Our team lost that game, we couldn't stop him.  After the game, I can remember saying 46 carries is child abuse.  I was just kidding at the time, probably because we lost, but I did think it was too many.  If it was my kid I would be pissed.  Wonder what the players dad thought about it.  That's what matters here.  Was it okay with his dad? 

don't forget momma! If momma's not happy no one is happy!