Melrose @ Whitehaven - 2013 (Thursday)

kwc

Bhs I agree with you....there are too many yards in punting so why does melrose coach have some big slow lineman punting the ball when they punt...but more times than not, he goes for it on 4th and long in they own territory when they can't hardly get a play off....the recievers never come to da huddle and they are only running hitch and fly routes. Maybe a couple screens. The one brite spot is the running game which they should fucas more on. The RB #4 is very elusive, very scrappy. If they run more than pass they have a better chance of beating tough teams...but I think they still do good in the division.

I knew that Lineman punter was gonna hurt Melrose... I'm sure they put the punt rush on lil dude all night.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we'll let's see who's at the next game u know!! Lol we'll thought it would be a lil tougher on u guys but, respect to the haven! Hope this loss don't hurt our young team psyche.. But the bright light out of all of this the majority of this team is coming back. Yea not much in mixing it up in offense if we running 6 plays with that no huddle crap. We run no huddle but we don't run the pace that's supposed to go with it . Got the pb&j (speed and athleticism) but no bread (solid gameplay or scheme enhancing what we have)

Yes we'll let's see who's at the next game u know!! Lol we'll thought it would be a lil tougher on u guys but, respect to the haven! Hope this loss don't hurt our young team psyche.. But the bright light out of all of this the majority of this team is coming back. Yea not much in mixing it up in offense if we running 6 plays with that no huddle crap. We run no huddle but we don't run the pace that's supposed to go with it . Got the pb&j (speed and athleticism) but no bread (solid gameplay or scheme enhancing what we have)

I thought it was a slight premature of the AP to stick Melrose in the top 10 of 5AAA. The AP seems to make their picks similar to the CA DD with familiar names, past playoff records and some politics. I would have thought this game would have been at minimum 14 pt game. I still don't see WH making it out of the third round max this year. By the way there would be nothing wrong with that.

First, let me say that I was impressed with the speed and ability of the Melrose skill position players. If the Melrose OL could provide adequate protection against our DL, that game would have been a lot more intersting. Second, I want to give a great big kudos to our DL and our DB's. Those were D-1 receivers we faced last night and they didn't have a fighting chance. That Stughill young man (#6) and Mr. Johnson (#2) are both VERY TALENTED, as well as, the RB, #4. The QB is as well ... it's just hard to complete any passes when your thinking converts to it's instictual survival mode. The one lone TD that the Melrose QB threw was a thing of beauty. Our safety went to sleep and viola ... TD, just as pretty as you please. I have no clue as to what Braylen was thinking ... but on the next series ... Kerrick was playing safety ... LOL. He eventually got out of the doghouse ... but i'm sure he got an earful before they sent him back out there!

The Melrose team has a LOT of issues to address, but their biggest problem, when facing a Whitehaven is DEPTH. That team is rebuilding and it's going to take time for them to get more bodies in uniforms. The Whitehaven coaches have the luxury of throwing out fresh linemen ALL NIGHT. It took its toll on the Melrose big guys. The Melrose OL and DL were gassed by the middle of the 2nd quarter. Whitehaven, on the other hand, kept throwing lineman, after lineman, after lineman at them. It was inevitable. Melrose went 0-10 last year ... this year they are 4-1 on the season. That is wonderful. They have talent ... that much is undeniable ... they just need more young men to come out for the team. Winning will do just that. Hang in there Melrose faithful ... give the new coach time to build the program back up ... it's not an overnight process.

Edited by kwc

Bhs I agree with you....there are too many yards in punting so why does melrose coach have some big slow lineman punting the ball when they punt

That's a VERY GOOD QUESTION. I'm thinking that they don't have anybody else with that particular skill who is any good at it. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

...but more times than not, he goes for it on 4th and long in they own territory when they can't hardly get a play off.....

THAT ... was the bigger problem. The more I think about it; the more I think that, THAT was the game plan. I think that the Melrose coaches had already decided that if the ball was close to mid field, that they would go for it on 4th downs if the opportunity presented itself.

THAT was NOT a good decision. It hurt their teams chances. But more importanlty, it fired up the Whitehaven team and coaches! Who goes into a rival teams backyard and tries that garbage? Did they think that it wouldn't be seen as anything other then disrepectful towards the Whitehaven defense, team, coaches, fans? It sure doesn't seem like that thought ever crossed their collective minds.

You might be able to pull that type of stunt against a team like BTW or MAHS or maybe even Kirby to some extent. You should NEVER try that junk against a decent to good team ... N E V E R! Whitehaven is more then just a good to decent team!

This isn't Playstation or XBOX or any other type of gaming system!

BIG MISTAKE Melrose coaches ... I hope they learn from this.

Edited by kwc

kwc, someone said the exact same thing about Melrose punting last nite. but with the athletes they have, I refuse to believe they don't have no one else who can catch the ball and kick it, quicker and better than that lineman....maybe they are getting away with it with other teams but they trying to make the playoffs, special teams need to be addressed. but I think we just exposed a lot of the weaknesses. put pressure on the QB and don't let them beat you deep. they don't run the ball as much as they should.....but hey, bring ridgeway on over next week so we can go another further....lets go TIGERS!!!!!!!

kwc, someone said the exact same thing about Melrose punting last nite. but with the athletes they have, I refuse to believe they don't have no one else who can catch the ball and kick it, quicker and better than that lineman....maybe they are getting away with it with other teams but they trying to make the playoffs, special teams need to be addressed. but I think we just exposed a lot of the weaknesses. put pressure on the QB and don't let them beat you deep. they don't run the ball as much as they should.....but hey, bring ridgeway on over next week so we can go another further....lets go TIGERS!!!!!!!

Oh, I'm quite sure they have several athletes over there who can learn to do it, and do it quite effectively. It's appearent that they don't have any athlete's that WANT to do it.

There is an attitude issue as well. When #6 refused to go to the huddle all night ... yet he's a playmaker they count on. He's a senior and if I had to guess, probably a captain. I'm just guessing here on the captain part. You get my point ... I bet either he or JJ or #4 could punt. If not one of them then somebody else who is more athletic ... why aren't they?

Well ... I'm like you now ... Ridgeway is our next opponent. Let's start watching film on them ... let's go Tigers!!!!!

Edited by kwc