CPA versus Milan - Round 3

sportsnerd

I know people are hearing the score is 24-0 and thinking that Milan is stinking it up, but they are moving the football.  Running game is showing up now.  Trey Belew is doing a good job and the defense is playing fairly well also.  Turnovers have taken us out of this game.  Credit to CPA for doing so.... that is the mark of a good team. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belew is the best running back on field tonight. But he is no Coleman.

See what we have been missing.  Also, he two lead blockers that have been spliting time at fullback are playing for the first time tonight.  Thank god we just scored 24-7 will be the final score.  Gotta feel good about the effort.  Hate that we shot ourselves in the foot sooooo many times.  Congratulations CPA.  Excellent team.  Maybe we can winout, finish 5-5, and see you guys again in the playoffs!!  Long road to hoe though!!!

See what we have been missing. Also, he two lead blockers that have been spliting time at fullback are playing for the first time tonight. Thank god we just scored 24-7 will be the final score. Gotta feel good about the effort. Hate that we shot ourselves in the foot sooooo many times. Congratulations CPA. Excellent team. Maybe we can winout, finish 5-5, and see you guys again in the playoffs!! Long road to hoe though!!!

It could happen.

Milan's six opponents so far this year have a combined record of 30-4 and I think there is only one team on their schedule that has a losing record at this time. Wonder if this is the strongest schedule in the state. I thought they had a solid team tonight with a good running game with Belew. An OK short passing game but when they went long it cost them with a couple INTs. CPA looked really good but if they want the gold ball they are going to have to step it up a bit and eliminate mistakes. It felt like they kept leaving the door open by not capitalizing on several scoring opportunities. All in all a solid game for CPA but not great. Still a sigh of relief to get the Bulldog monkey off our backs.

hahaha come on now BPM!. Gotta admit games.closer than i thought at half time. Take away the two interceptions by richard this would be a tie game if not milan with the lead.

Take away CPA throwing int. when they had FG at least, and a missed FG and bad throws to wide open receivers and it would have been a bigger lead than it was. Good teams make interceptions - Milan had one and we had two by an all-state player.

Belew is the best running back on field tonight. But he is no Coleman.

I agree with that. He is a very good back - best we have seen this year. Not as big as Coleman, but a downhill runner and lots of yards after being hit.

CPA played pretty well - 30 seconds short of a shutout. However, #2 is usually very accurate but missed some wide open receivers and threw a very bad pass for an Int. when we were in FG range. We also missed a short FG that is unusual.

Couldn't really understand why we went away from the read option with #12. Milan never stopped it when he was in but he didn't play much.

Interesting comment by CPA Coach Martin after the game:

CPA coach Ingle Martin said, †We didn’t think of this as a revenge game. It was just the next game on the schedule for us. The difference this year was that we were able to execute what we wanted to do for the most part. Milan is a good team, they play a tough schedule. In my opinion, their record (1-5) would be the inverse if they played in Middle Tennessee.

Few Observations...

Milan is the absolute best one win team in the state. Some of the players coming suspension/injury showed up big time. #5 and 6 are head hunters on D. I think this # 5's first game back.

That being said CPA won this on the lines of scrimmage with their own power running game. that and combined with the ability to execute some short and long throws at key moments were the difference.

Regarding physical play...Milan was tougher team last two years.

Not much is said on this board about how hard this CPA team works. Weight lifting, and running , 7v 7 anytime it's allowed under TSSAA rules. These kids making blocks were good athletes a few years ago as young teens but have worked their tales off in the weight room for 3 years since new coaches arrived. It shows up on the field when what were once just above average athletes become dominating blockers. These kids and coaches work so hard. That needs to be recognized.

Despite losing 3 starters on the OL and a TE that plays in college this new OL has put together some dominating performances. They're smart and physical. We now have 4 RBs breaking runs including Hockaday. We may not be as talented as some backfields but the OL should get plenty of credit because those backs had some big holes at times tonight and really have all year. Hockaday is a hard nosed runner that Milan never really shut down. Hes Impressive.

Weatherly had 1-2 passes he'd want back but the kid is only a sophomore and he made a few beautiful throws that not many HS QBs in the state can make. Was glad to see Joe Richard make a big time grab for a TD on a beautifully thrown ball. Manuel #5 had some great catches as well as did #7 Osborn. Of course 9 was huge all night too.

When you are balanced like that it puts pressure on the defense. CPA punted only once, had an int, and a missed fg. Other drives ended in scores. But all drives moved the chains and ate clock.

Give a lot of credit to Milan for moving the ball on CPA, but even with their methodical running game working at times....when you're up 3 scores you had the feeling they couldn't come back because they had no vertical passing game. When they tried to throw deep it got picked off.

At times CPA seemed to intentionally go away from the running game and read option that was working just to work on their passing game that they will need in November.

So who is the king of west TN this season in 3A? Westview ? Don't want to play Milan again, but I know there are some other really good teams in the west. Who's the best?

Few Observations...

Milan is the absolute best one win team in the state. Some of the players coming suspension/injury showed up big time. #5 and 6 are head hunters on D. I think this # 5's first game back.

That being said CPA won this on the lines of scrimmage with their own power running game. that and combined with the ability to execute some short and long throws at key moments were the difference.

Regarding physical play...Milan was tougher team last two years.

Not much is said on this board about how hard this CPA team works. Weight lifting, and running , 7v 7 anytime it's allowed under TSSAA rules. These kids making blocks were good athletes a few years ago as young teens but have worked their tales off in the weight room for 3 years since new coaches arrived. It shows up on the field when what were once just above average athletes become dominating blockers. These kids and coaches work so hard. That needs to be recognized.

Despite losing 3 starters on the OL and a TE that plays in college this new OL has put together some dominating performances. They're smart and physical. We now have 4 RBs breaking runs including Hockaday. We may not be as talented as some backfields but the OL should get plenty of credit because those backs had some big holes at times tonight and really have all year. Hockaday is a hard nosed runner that Milan never really shut down. Hes Impressive.

Weatherly had 1-2 passes he'd want back but the kid is only a sophomore and he made a few beautiful throws that not many HS QBs in the state can make. Was glad to see Joe Richard make a big time grab for a TD on a beautifully thrown ball. Manuel #5 had some great catches as well as did #7 Osborn. Of course 9 was huge all night too.

When you are balanced like that it puts pressure on the defense. CPA punted only once, had an int, and a missed fg. Other drives ended in scores. But all drives moved the chains and ate clock.

Give a lot of credit to Milan for moving the ball on CPA, but even with their methodical running game working at times....when you're up 3 scores you had the feeling they couldn't come back because they had no vertical passing game. When they tried to throw deep it got picked off.

At times CPA seemed to intentionally go away from the running game and read option that was working just to work on their passing game that they will need in November.

So who is the king of west TN this season in 3A? Westview ? Don't want to play Milan again, but I know there are some other really good teams in the west. Who's the best?

Good observations. Joseph Richard's TD catch was a beauty. If he steps up, he can give CPA another tall receiver that will make it hard to double team his older brother, Thomas. Very impressed how CPA has improved since early in the summer. I came away from the Pearl-Cohn scrimmage shaking my head thinking it was going to be a long year. 

Coach Epps in the weight room doesn't get a lot of outside credit, but his program has been key and is paying big dividends.

just got home from game. Milan's best game so far except the turnovers. But got to keep from doing those. talked to coach Morris after the game and he said he was worried about getting beat bad at first but felt like they should have been in position to win it without turnovers. Said cpa was first class and good team. I agreed except for one thing. That God awful band yall invited was one of the most unsportmanslike  displays I have seen. Played the whole time Milan was on offense. Coach Morris said some officials don't enforce that rule or overlook it. They performed great but good grief they irritated all Milan fans. You guys are better than that. Not sayingyou all shouldn't invite them but please tell them to have enough class to not play ALL THE TIME. Ok off my soapbox. Great game and atmosphere. Hope to see yaqll again.  P S the Milan monkey isn't off your back until you beat them in November. lol

just got home from game. Milan's best game so far except the turnovers. But got to keep from doing those. talked to coach Morris after the game and he said he was worried about getting beat bad at first but felt like they should have been in position to win it without turnovers. Said cpa was first class and good team. I agreed except for one thing. That God awful band yall invited was one of the most unsportmanslike  displays I have seen. Played the whole time Milan was on offense. Coach Morris said some officials don't enforce that rule or overlook it. They performed great but good grief they irritated all Milan fans. You guys are better than that. Not sayingyou all shouldn't invite them but please tell them to have enough class to not play ALL THE TIME. Ok off my soapbox. Great game and atmosphere. Hope to see yaqll again.  P S the Milan monkey isn't off your back until you beat them in November. lol

You should try playing at Maplewood. Their band is truly their 12th man! Since we don't have a band it was nice of Stratford to come out for us tonight to provide that entertainment. I didn't notice it tonight but have in other Nashville area games. I guess it depends on which side you are sitting on. I agree that they shouldn't play continually while the game is in play, but that is something we see all the time here.