CPA versus Milan - Round 3

sportsnerd

You should try playing at Maplewood. Their band is truly their 12th man! Since we don't have a band it was nice of Stratford to come out for us tonight to provide that entertainment. I didn't notice it tonight but have in other Nashville area games. I guess it depends on which side you are sitting on. I agree that they shouldn't play continually while the game is in play, but that is something we see all the time here.

just got home from game. Milan's best game so far except the turnovers. But got to keep from doing those. talked to coach Morris after the game and he said he was worried about getting beat bad at first but felt like they should have been in position to win it without turnovers. Said cpa was first class and good team. I agreed except for one thing. That God awful band yall invited was one of the most unsportmanslike  displays I have seen. Played the whole time Milan was on offense. Coach Morris said some officials don't enforce that rule or overlook it. They performed great but good grief they irritated all Milan fans. You guys are better than that. Not sayingyou all shouldn't invite them but please tell them to have enough class to not play ALL THE TIME. Ok off my soapbox. Great game and atmosphere. Hope to see yaqll again.  P S the Milan monkey isn't off your back until you beat them in November. lol

Try also playing against Pearl Cohn, Straftford, Whites Creek, etc.  Their bands play the entire game non stop.  It is part of the game time program that most teams with bands have in the state, has zero to do with CPA being "better than that"  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few Observations...

Milan is the absolute best one win team in the state. Some of the players coming suspension/injury showed up big time. #5 and 6 are head hunters on D. I think this # 5's first game back.

That being said CPA won this on the lines of scrimmage with their own power running game. that and combined with the ability to execute some short and long throws at key moments were the difference.

Regarding physical play...Milan was tougher team last two years.

Not much is said on this board about how hard this CPA team works. Weight lifting, and running , 7v 7 anytime it's allowed under TSSAA rules. These kids making blocks were good athletes a few years ago as young teens but have worked their tales off in the weight room for 3 years since new coaches arrived. It shows up on the field when what were once just above average athletes become dominating blockers. These kids and coaches work so hard. That needs to be recognized.

Despite losing 3 starters on the OL and a TE that plays in college this new OL has put together some dominating performances. They're smart and physical. We now have 4 RBs breaking runs including Hockaday. We may not be as talented as some backfields but the OL should get plenty of credit because those backs had some big holes at times tonight and really have all year. Hockaday is a hard nosed runner that Milan never really shut down. Hes Impressive.

Weatherly had 1-2 passes he'd want back but the kid is only a sophomore and he made a few beautiful throws that not many HS QBs in the state can make. Was glad to see Joe Richard make a big time grab for a TD on a beautifully thrown ball. Manuel #5 had some great catches as well as did #7 Osborn. Of course 9 was huge all night too.

When you are balanced like that it puts pressure on the defense. CPA punted only once, had an int, and a missed fg. Other drives ended in scores. But all drives moved the chains and ate clock.

Give a lot of credit to Milan for moving the ball on CPA, but even with their methodical running game working at times....when you're up 3 scores you had the feeling they couldn't come back because they had no vertical passing game. When they tried to throw deep it got picked off.

At times CPA seemed to intentionally go away from the running game and read option that was working just to work on their passing game that they will need in November.

So who is the king of west TN this season in 3A? Westview ? Don't want to play Milan again, but I know there are some other really good teams in the west. Who's the best?

It is the same thing Milan always does, but you are absolutely right.  I thought offensively, both teams did what they had been doing the last two years...... nothing new.  The difference was last year we won the turnover margin 4-0, helping us eek out a close win.  The role was reversed this year. 

You should try playing at Maplewood. Their band is truly their 12th man! Since we don't have a band it was nice of Stratford to come out for us tonight to provide that entertainment. I didn't notice it tonight but have in other Nashville area games. I guess it depends on which side you are sitting on. I agree that they shouldn't play continually while the game is in play, but that is something we see all the time here.

Just to give you a heads up..... Alcoa's band plays the entire game as well!!!!!

If you dont play Stratford "who played at cpas game,Pearl cohn,maplewood,whites creek,white haven,fairly,alcoa etc....you wouldnt understand...There all not corp style marching bands and thats what they do. Also theres not a rule in TN about a band playing during the Game. You guys are from west tn so yall dont see it to much but in the Mid state its different..

you are right we aren't used to that in west tn. And it may not be a rule but west tn refs have made opposing teams band quit playing while other team is on offense. Seen it several times. But most of us don't do it to begin with. Anyway had no bearing on the game other than being annoying. that is all

you are right we aren't used to that in west tn. And it may not be a rule but west tn refs have made opposing teams band quit playing while other team is on offense. Seen it several times. But most of us don't do it to begin with. Anyway had no bearing on the game other than being annoying. that is all

Agreed. Been on the other side of the "annoying" mostly. I loved having the band but wish they wouldn't play while the other team has the ball.

Agreed. Been on the other side of the "annoying" mostly. I loved having the band but wish they wouldn't play while the other team has the ball.

I agree it can be annoying.  But to be honest, speaking as a former player, the bands didn't bother me that much.  I was completely focused on the guy across the line from me that I was about to introduce to the turf.  That's the mindset that players should have and the band should not enter into the equation. 

If the band is bothering the players on field than i feel bad for any players that go to college.. All colleges do that. Have yall never been to a college game? If so i doubt you came away saying dang that band was annoying haha.

Black colleges Not most big schools...Its just a different culture that's all

I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that CPA would some "secret weapons" available this week that we haven't had so far this year.  I attribute at least one false start penalty on Milan due to the raucous band play by Stratford.  :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I love the relationship CPA is forming with Stratford.  We are too small of a school to have a marching band because most of the kids that would play in it are playing football or cheering, or playing soccer or cross country.  No time to practice after school.  Gives us a chance to build a positive relationship with another school.  As far as annoying they were just doing what they normally do on a Friday night which is play for the fans.