Top new HS baseball coaches

Vols1234

I am not saying he is a top coach because I know nothing about him, but Dekalb County will have a new head coach this season in Tracy Slone. Our local paper states he was most recently an assistant coach at Siegel. He was head coach at Lebanon from 05-11, head coach for Lincoln County from 94-04, and also head coach at a high school in Indiana.

I haven't seen him coach too many games yet, but I would throw Coby Ginsberg at Harpeth in the mix. If his work ethic on the field is any indication of what to expect we should be good. I just hope he will stay for several years. My son is a senior this year and this will be his 5th coach since middle school.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen him coach too many games yet, but I would throw Coby Ginsberg at Harpeth in the mix. If his work ethic on the field is any indication of what to expect we should be good. I just hope he will stay for several years. My son is a senior this year and this will be his 5th coach since middle school.

Harpeth does have a way of chewing up and spitting out baseball coaches.  What is the problem?

Its my opinion that various factors have contributed to the turnover at Harpeth. Donny Jones was commuting from Station Camp which just got to be too difficult, he was away from his kids too much, and resigned. Walls was just not quite ready for a head coaching position and was let go after two years. Cheatham county in general is tough to keep coaches, supplements are ridiculously low. If a coach compares his time and expenses(travel) to what he is being paid it is a losing proposition.

As with all schools you also have to throw in the parent support, or lack of. All coaches in every school face at least a few parents who are unhappy, primarily based on lack of playing time for their kid. We are no different than any other school in this area. To my knowledge no parent has ever successfully "run a coach off" although some have tried.

I know they all know this when they take the job, and nobody coaches HS sports to make money. Tough to find a qualified coach that will stay for an extended period of time. Thankfully Coach Ginsberg only lives a few miles from the school, which will definitely help. When you look at the amount of time that is spent year round for field maintenance you have to have someone who loves it, and is willing to invest in the kids and the program for the long haul. It would be nice to have some stability, there is no doubt that it has negatively affected the playing experience for my son to have the turnover we have experienced. It also diminishes the opportunity to play at the next level, as the new coaches have not established a strong college network to help market their players.

All of that being said, I am excited about the coming year and have seen a positive change in our program with Coach Ginsberg and Coach Black at the helm. The kids are getting the discipline and work ethic that has been missing for the last two years back. They all seem to respect the coaching staff and are bonding with each other. I am nothing but optimistic that we will be a better baseball team with good coaching. This season is a mystery, as it is our first year since moving to 9AA, but we will be ready. Good luck to all, can't wait to be finished with field work and fundraisers and actually PLAY BALL!!!!

Harpeth does have a way of chewing up and spitting out baseball coaches.  What is the problem?

Same number of women's basketball coaches, principals, director of schools...........more or less.

There's been a lot of transition at Harpeth and Cheatham County over the years and luke warm administrative support if I were to try to characterize it.  When the first question you ask a good prospective baseball coach is "What do you teach?" you limit yourself from the get go.  Coachcutt hit it on the head.  Donny Jones and Coby Ginsberg have been the only qualified hires since Frasier left for Shelbyville, which is a AAA program.  I have high hopes for Coach Ginsberg sticking around a little while and I think he will.  If he doesn't, it won't have anything to do with the baseball program.  It rarely does.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not saying he is a top coach because I know nothing about him, but Dekalb County will have a new head coach this season in Tracy Slone. Our local paper states he was most recently an assistant coach at Siegel. He was head coach at Lebanon from 05-11, head coach for Lincoln County from 94-04, and also head coach at a high school in Indiana.

If he is the same Tracy Slone that was at Cumberland in the mid 80's, Great guy, and was a heck of a pitcher when we played at CU. 

If he is the same Tracy Slone that was at Cumberland in the mid 80's, Great guy, and was a heck of a pitcher when we played at CU. 

Let me start by saying that I wouldn't  know Tracy Slone if the knocked on my front door and punched me in the face.  Being a good high school coach has as much to do with being a good fit in both the school and community as anything.  However, I am not sure that he had a winning record or qualified for the state tournament at Lincoln County or Lebanon.