Gerry Bertier's 4A Weekly Playoff Update after Week 8

Gerry Bertier

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but i believe this is why; even though Giles is a natural quad 3 school and slightly farther west then some teams from the Nashville area they (Giles) are closer milage wise to Chattanooga than is Nashville. And since the quads are filled in from east to west, most quad two schools are from the chattanooga area and due to trying to limit travel Giles gets into quad two by virtue of slightly less travel distance.

Although the year Giles won state they were in quad 3.

That would be the official declaration 95. If you clocked it the difference would be naught. I like the warm-up games against the Nooga teams to get ready for Quad 1. Pearl does bother me though.... :ugeek:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its only about a six mile difference but the TSSAA is not about to send just one team from Nashville to quad 2 when they can have a close little cluster of schools to try and limit travel. I think Giles is hurt by the fact that they are not really that close to any other school in the 4A playoffs, except for Page. I mean if you look at the map Giles is kinda down by their lonesome. 

I think its only about a six mile difference but the TSSAA is not about to send just one team from Nashville to quad 2 when they can have a close little cluster of schools to try and limit travel. I think Giles is hurt by the fact that they are not really that close to any other school in the 4A playoffs, except for Page. I mean if you look at the map Giles is kinda down by their lonesome. 

Thanks for the info.

Teams to watch that might decide the 1st seed in quad 1: Jefferson County, Knoxville Central. Games to watch: Claiborne County vs Pigeon Forge, Grainger vs Claiborne County, West Greene vs Chuckey-Doak. I believe Fulton is ahead of Greeneville in the first 4 or so tiebreakers. All those games could go either way. Should be exciting to watch it all unfold.

Edited by beastmode89

Teams to watch that might decide the 1st seed in quad 1: Jefferson County, Knoxville Central. Games to watch: Claiborne County vs Pigeon Forge, Grainger vs Claiborne County, West Greene vs Chuckey-Doak. I believe Fulton is ahead of Greeneville in the first 4 or so tiebreakers. All those games could go either way. Should be exciting to watch it all unfold.

Jeff Co not going to beat sevier Co or Mo East on road . , Knox Central should beat Gibbs , Claiborne not gonna beat PF,  WG probably not gonna beat Chucky , Grainger will probably beat Claiborne so Grainger should get to 5 wins .. IMO 

You are correct about your assumption there will be some teams in Quad 1 and 2 that are district runner ups that will be on the road.

Thx Gerry, one more question for ya, what kind of odds or percent does Sequoyah being bumped into quad 1?  Or should I ask, geographically is Sequoyah next to go into quad 1?

Edited by dumdum

Thx Gerry, one more question for ya, what kind of odds or percent does Sequoyah being bumped into quad 1?  Or should I ask, geographically is Sequoyah next to go into quad 1?

I don't think they are going to get bumped to Quad 1 but if a team out West qualifies and a team in Quad 1 drops then yes you are correct geographically Sequoyah would be up next.

Ok 4A Fans, here is what you have been waiting for. If you see mistakes let me know or if you have questions and let me say Quad 1 is loaded and a couple teams playoff hopes will be determined by tiebreakers.

Quad 1

1 Fulton

8 Scott Co.

4 Carter

5 Catholic

3 Sullivan South

6 Elizabethton

2 Greeneville

7 Grainger

Quad 1

1 Signal Mountain

8 Chattanooga Central

4 DeKalb Co.

5 Sequoyah

3 Giles Co.

6 East Ridge

2 Hixson

7 Page

Quad 1

1 Pearl Cohn

8 Montgomery Central

4 Liberty Tech

5 Northside

3 Lexington

6 Greenbriar

2 White House

7 Maplewood

Quad 4

1 Trezevant

8 Obion Co.

4 Chester Co.

5 Crockett Co.

3 Covington

6 Haywood

2 Dyersburg

7 Craigmont

Wish we could get to go west, somehow. 2 weeks ago, I liked our chances of it happening, but it doesn't look to be the case now.

Gerry, in your opinion, do my Page Patriots have any chance of being able to go west, in quad 3? Anything that might make that happen?

Wish we could get to go west, somehow. 2 weeks ago, I liked our chances of it happening, but it doesn't look to be the case now.

Gerry, in your opinion, do my Page Patriots have any chance of being able to go west, in quad 3? Anything that might make that happen?

Why would Grainger be seeded higher then Scott?  Scott will have the better record.