William Blount vs Bearden

Governm

I'll agree that Maryville is at a different level in coaching but I have to somewhat disagree about the players. Yes Maryville has better players than us at this moment, but that's mostly because of coaching. They also have kids transferring in because they want to play for a winner and you can't fault them for that. At this point in time the Maryville football program is basically on auto pilot because Quarles system is so effective. They blow teams out in the first Half and the freshman and sophomores play the whole 2nd half thus they are well prepared when their time to start comes.they also get the occasional stud athlete transfer in to play.They also have a great strength and conditioning program and stress the fundamentals. These are the reasons they have had the success they have had . It's not because they have superior athletes, it's because they are more disciplined than any football team they play. Maryville has beaten tons of teams with better athletes than them. If Maryville had the athletes that people think they have they would be producing tons of D1 and nfl players, but they don't.

Good post 91 but I still think this is the biggie: the freshmen and sophomores play the whole 2nd half thus they are well prepared when their time to start comes. That cannot be overemphasized. Two others are very important too - including coaching and discipline, but I like the experience thing.

I go on about this but a jr playing his first snaps is normally behind the same jr who has played 12-20 or more qtrs his sophomore season. One knows he belongs and can focus on playing while the other is still trying to prove himself to everyone including himself. One has prepared during the off-season because he knows the challenges while the other is about to learn those challenges. The same can be argued for football, baseball, basketball, lawn-mowing, or even dating. lol

IMO - When a team becomes ineligible for the playoffs, a coach should start focusing on next year. Sure, let the srs start on sr night. But the main focus should be on improving the program and making the playoffs next year. It should not be like little league where an older player gets to start because it is his "turn" due to being older. You then always have a more inexperienced team (albeit older). Why not see if there might be some surprises with the younger players? Much to possibly gain and very little to lose.

Edited by strongx

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree that Maryville is at a different level in coaching but I have to somewhat disagree about the players. Yes Maryville has better players than us at this moment, but that's mostly because of coaching. They also have kids transferring in because they want to play for a winner and you can't fault them for that. At this point in time the Maryville football program is basically on auto pilot because Quarles system is so effective. They blow teams out in the first Half and the freshman and sophomores play the whole 2nd half thus they are well prepared when their time to start comes.they also get the occasional stud athlete transfer in to play.They also have a great strength and conditioning program and stress the fundamentals. These are the reasons they have had the success they have had . It's not because they have superior athletes, it's because they are more disciplined than any football team they play. Maryville has beaten tons of teams with better athletes than them. If Maryville had the athletes that people think they have they would be producing tons of D1 and nfl players, but they don't.

I agreed with this post all 3 times you posted it ! :mrgreen:

Well I hope he does get it turned around but I kind of doubt he will after seeing this season . Everything was in place for him to have a winning season and he didn't get it done. So how can I rationally think that things are going to be any different next year or the next? The district is going to be alot tougher next year, alot tougher. Bearden and Lenoir City were gimme games and they couldn't even win those games. So how can we expect them to compete in and win those games next year when they will surely be back to normal? Also people seem to be confident that Heritage will be better in the coming years, what if they beat us? I don't even want to think about how bad things could be..

Where is your optimism, 91?  Things can't get much worse than 2-8.....so we have nowhere to go but up.

Where is your optimism, 91? Things can't get much worse than 2-8.....so we have nowhere to go but up.

They could go 0-10 for the first time in school history next year. If they could only win 2 games this year with the guys they had and

the competition they faced I don't even want to

think about next year.imo this year was our

window to have a good season and it didn't happen.

Edited by Governors91

They could go 0-10 for the first time in school history next year. If they could only win 2 games this year with the guys they had and

the competition they faced I don't even want to

think about next year.imo this year was our

window to have a good season and it didn't happen.

Then thank Gregory for that... The only game that I would say you guys should have one that I saw...was the Lenoir City game... You guys had every opportunity and couldn't take advantage of it...did not see the Farragut game but after reading about I can why ya think you should won that one...

Then thank Gregory for that... The only game that I would say you guys should have one that I saw...was the Lenoir City game... You guys had every opportunity and couldn't take advantage of

it...did not see the Farragut game but after

reading about I can why ya think you should won

that one...

Also should have beat bearden, mo east, farragut, and jeff county. you might even throw hardin valley in there too but its hard to tell because our team didn't even show up for that game.

I have noticed the feeder system feeding into W.B. seems to be very small in numbers and not the best records. I don't see a lot of kids playing football in the smaller leagues and that has to hurt W.B. when those kids get to high school. I can almost tell you as soon as a boy is born in Maryville the father calls David Hunt and reserves his spot to play for the Little Rebs seven or eight years later before they are all taken. You just don't see people climbing the walls to get their kids involved in football in the county like you do for Maryville and that is really sad.

Okie doke....

ok you know more than me even though im at every game and watch these boys play year in and year out. I have watched the same junk every year since meadows left.. The boys are not being coached up , that's the gods honest truth. You can watch a wb team on week 0 and week 10 and you can't see any kind of significant improvement, it's been the same thing since 2009. When you have good coaches you are always going to see significant improvement from week 0 to 10 even if they don't have a winning season. That just hasn't happened at wb. In fact this years team got worse as the season went on , that's a symptom of bad coaching friend.

ok you know more than me even though im at every game and watch these boys play year in and year out. I have watched the same junk every year since meadows left.. The boys are not being coached up , that's the gods honest truth. You can watch a wb team on week 0 and week 10 and you can't see any kind of significant improvement, it's been the same thing since 2009. When you have good coaches you are always going to see significant improvement from week 0 to 10 even if they don't have a winning season. That just hasn't happened at wb. In fact this years team got worse as the season went on , that's a symptom of bad coaching friend.

i agree with u 91. meadows not being the coach has set us back alot he was a great coach until we get a decent coach and staff we wont see any improvement ridge was on ly good at greenback cause he had a good staff