Gerry Bertier's 3A Playoffs Final Predictions After Week 10

Gerry Bertier

Was in the same situation last year...played to win.

SmithCo was not in the same position. Their seed would not have been higher if they would have lost. They could have just played a team they were familiar with if they'd have lost. Whats wrong with setting our starters to keep them healthy going into the playoffs when you can move from a 4 seed to a 3 seed if you do that? Pro teams rest their starters all the time before playoff games in which they have already secured their positioning. It might be good to get some different kids in there to see if they can be used in the playoffs.

If anyone thinks a high school coach or kids would do that its wrong. Our kids know nothing about the scenario they don't care. They know they are going to the playoffs and my senior is happy with that. He knows the chips will fall and the game will be played. He is looking forward to a run in the playoffs and knowing you have to fight to win. I think we get up on cheatham and cruise but if it gets testy then you might see some 2nd teamers. Could you take your senior out of a game knowing he might not have allot of games left??????? The game WILL NOT be throwed! That was smack talk early in the week. We have some lakefront property for sale here if interested? Gerry look forward to your post late Friday night. Maybe we can make some noise in the weeks to come!!!!!!! Posty can you pick me up in the mail truck? Might be a little emotional for my last regular season game

I agree. My son plays for ND and I love his attitude. I was discussing this playoff scenario with him tonight (he had no idea). He said, "I can't believe someone would not try to win a game intentionally" (which is a little naive, people do that at all levels to get a better seed, draft pick, etc.) What he said next made me the proudest. He said, "we have to beat Upperman to get out of our Quad - might as well beat them sooner than later". This is not my attempt at trash talking nor am I saying ND wins the quad but gosh dang I sure like his attitude.

You may want to have him checked for a concussion, he seems to have short term memory loss..... specifically week 7...

Good luck with Grundy..... and then possibly Sequatchie....

Edited by Charlie Murphy

SmithCo was not in the same position. Their seed would not have been higher if they would have lost. They could have just played a team they were familiar with if they'd have lost. Whats wrong with setting our starters to keep them healthy going into the playoffs when you can move from a 4 seed to a 3 seed if you do that? Pro teams rest their starters all the time before playoff games in which they have already secured their positioning. It might be good to get some different kids in there to see if they can be used in the playoffs.

Actually they were. They would have benefitted from a loss in week 10. "Setting" your starters...as you put it ...would be unethical. Of course...I think you will. Get ready for the heat that will ensue.

There have been high school coaches dismissed for losing on purpose to get a better postseason draw. The one I remember around here, a basketball coach in Chattanooga played backups in the district tournament against a team they'd beaten badly in the season. It may have not even been noticed by too many people but he couldn't help but tell the newspaper he was able to get the younger guys playing time or something similar to that. Too much ego to let people think his main guys could have lost. And if I remember right, the draw didn't help either as they were upset in the region tournament.