Riverdale winning streak 58

WCG

Give any school twice as many students and then allow them to import several all stars from other schools and they will win every year. Once in a blue moon a very small school will beat a much larger school. Also, thanks for proving my point showing that Riverdale played a host of much smaller schools last year. Your example also points to the need to have a couple more levels of competition based on student size in basketball similar to what we have in football.

grandadone....remember that the smaller schools in the regular season scheduled Riverdale on their own accord.  Evidently, they felt they could play with Riverdale and beat them, OR they just wanted the challenge.

Here is the list of high schools in the state of TN and their enrollment.  http://high-schools.com/report/tn/public-school-enrollment-rank-in-tennessee.html The data does not have a date on it, so it may be old but it gives you an idea of approximate enrollment.  

So what it sounds to me is you are one of those parents, grandparents or supporters whose program doesn't win so you have to make excuses and try to water down the system so "everyone's a winner".  I am sure you would like to see girls basketball go to  how they have football with 6 state champions in DI and 2 state champions in DII, which is like giving everyone a cookie and juicebox after the game.  It is a VERY watered down version of a state championship team and get lots of "winners".

The state is way too small in population to have this amount of state champions.  In the day, there was only 3 classifications total.  The best way to handle this is to get your community involved in basketball and sports early and build a tradition that makes kids want to play for their local high school.  I am not one of those that believe that just because a school is bigger means it is better and more capable of beating smaller opponents.  

My case in point is if you take the top 10 schools in TN based on enrollemnt according to http://high-schools.com/report/tn/public-school-enrollment-rank-in-tennessee.html , and look at how many girls basketball state championships they have won since the TSSAA has been keeping records (the year 1921), you get the following results:

Girls Basketball State Championships since 1921

McGavock (2706 enrollment) : 0

Science Hill (2565 enrollment) : 0

Antioch   (2456 enrollment) : 0

Houston (2330 enrollment) : 0

Bolton (2266 enrollment) : 0

Farragut (2223 enrollment) : 0

White Station (2210 enrollment) : 0

Collierville (2183 enrollment) : 0

Jefferson County (2163 enrollment) : 0

Cordova (2139 enrollment) : 0

Now lets take the ten largest schools in the state and see how many TN State runner up finishes these schools have had since 1921:

Girls Basketball State Championship Runner Up Finishes since 1921

McGavock (2706 enrollment) : 0

Science Hill (2565 enrollment) : 2 (2012 and 2013)

Antioch   (2456 enrollment) : 0

Houston (2330 enrollment) : 0

Bolton (2266 enrollment) : 0

Farragut (2223 enrollment) : 0

White Station (2210 enrollment) : 0

Collierville (2183 enrollment) : 0

Jefferson County (2163 enrollment) : 0

Cordova (2139 enrollment) : 0

So...in 92 years of the TSSAA keeping records (since 1921), the current top 10 largest schools in TN have combined for ZERO state championships and only 2 state runner up finishes, and that is only because Science Hill got them out of the hole for the past two years.  Your argument on the bigger schools "beating up" on the smaller schools is extremely weak.  The largest schools in the state have some of the worst history for producing state titles in most ANY sport.  Your smaller schools have much better history of state titles and runners up finishes....even in the largest classification in TN.

You can fact check me at http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetRecords.cfm

Again...sour grapes  :roflol:

Edited by Brandon100
  • Upvote 1

I am sure you would like to see girls basketball go to  how they have football with 6 state champions in DI and 2 state champions in DII, which is like giving everyone a cookie and juicebox after the game.  It is a VERY watered down version of a state championship team and get lots of "winners".

@Brandon100, there are 3 in D1 and 2 DII State champions in Basketball.  Giving everyone a popcorn and a water (don't like cookies and juice) after the game is not the same as giving everyone a trophy at the end of the season, which is what I think you are trying to say.

So maybe basketball is only just "watered" down instead of "VERY watered" down?

@Brandon100, there are 3 in D1 and 2 DII State champions in Basketball.  Giving everyone a popcorn and a water (don't like cookies and juice) after the game is not the same as giving everyone a trophy at the end of the season, which is what I think you are trying to say.

So maybe basketball is only just "watered" down instead of "VERY watered" down?

Exactly.  3 State Championships in DI is enough.  grandadone wants more classifications in girl's basketball so there can be more state champions because the teams he likes have a hard time getting to the championship game.  He wants to make it easier.....can someone pass me another juicebox?   :mrgreen:

Edited by Brandon100

Actually, it probably wouldn't matter which classification Riverdale was in since they would import enough all-stars to keep their "winning by any means" strategy intact. But having one or two more categories would increase the fairness of the whole process for a lot of schools and would not water down the tournaments at all. Most would rather see two strong lightweights so toe to toe than see a heavyweight beat a lightweight by 50 points 99 times out of a hundred. Obviously you have no problem with a school bringing in 3 all stars in one year. What if they brought in 4 or 5? Would that be ok too?

Actually, it probably wouldn't matter which classification Riverdale was in since they would import enough all-stars to keep their "winning by any means" strategy intact. But having one or two more categories would increase the fairness of the whole process for a lot of schools and would not water down the tournaments at all. Most would rather see two strong lightweights so toe to toe than see a heavyweight beat a lightweight by 50 points 99 times out of a hundred. Obviously you have no problem with a school bringing in 3 all stars in one year. What if they brought in 4 or 5? Would that be ok too?

These girls and their parents C H O O S E to come to Riverdale. Every team has benefitted from transfers at some time or another. I dont see you getting all tore up about the transfer to Blackman the last few years, so it seems you have an agenda either against Coach Barrett or Riverdale. Sour Grapes

• Upvote 1

I don't think Blackman is so much in the same category as Riverdale I notice you said transfer as in 1 that means its not an ongoing thing, I believe that's why you have people pointing out Riverdale, I don't have a problem with it as long as the rules are being followed because under TSSAA they are allowed to move and tranfer so until that changes you will continue to see people transfer to the dominate schools its happening in West TN and in A and AA divisions also.IMHO

I don't think Blackman is so much in the same category as Riverdale I notice you said transfer as in 1 that means its not an ongoing thing, I believe that's why you have people pointing out Riverdale, I don't have a problem with it as long as the rules are being followed because under TSSAA they are allowed to move and tranfer so until that changes you will continue to see people transfer to the dominate schools its happening in West TN and in A and AA divisions also.IMHO

Believe Blackman had a transfer or two last year as well, as well as Oakland. But your right, 99.9 percent of these transfer are completely within the rules as stated by the TSSAA

As long as it is done by the rules every school who is a member of the TSSAA has agreed to live under, who cares who transfers.  The rules were made and approved by the member schools.  As long as it is by the book, it shouldn't matter.  Families move all the time...some just so happen to have kids who play sports.  The law says the kids have to go to school, so the kid goes to school where they are zoned to according to where they move.  

The TSSAA also has rules as to athletes having to sit out a year if certain stipulations aren't totally met.  The criteria was evidently met on these three Riverdale players.  The school has to report to the TSSAA ANY transfers to their school with sports records.  Grandadone...these schools have no need to "cheat"....I can assure you.  They had plenty of talent BEFORE these girls transferred to have a great team.

Edited by Brandon100