William Blount offseason thread

Governm

Maybe this will end up being a good wake-up call for the team. I mean it seems like every year they look good in pre-season play but stink it up in the regular season.

Isn't that what you said about the catholic scrimmage? Doesn't sound like it was much of a wake-up call either.

Isn't that what you said about the catholic scrimmage? Doesn't sound like it was much of a wake-up call either.

We scored 49 points last night. Last year we won both scrimmages convincingly and it didn't help us much. Soddy appeared much better from last year on offense and they exposed our defensive flaws. That's what scrimmages are all about.

After watching the tape, I thought the offense looked pretty good for their first scrimmage in pads, running game was pretty good, OL did a good job, some good throws and catches, they will clean up some of the mistakes.  I thought the SD defense was very poor, so I am not sure what kind of test that was.

On defense, I am at a loss for words.  Never seen anything like that at any level.  With scrimmages on Tuesday and Friday, they don't have time to change a lot. 

Well Jake I look at it this way. If your offense is putting up 49 points you are doing pretty good regardless of whether the defense you are scoring on is bad or good. Last year during the regular season our offense looked like crap against several teams that had bad defenses, so I was encouraged by what I saw out of the offense last night. And what made it even more impressive was the fact that our starting RB didn't play and our starting QB didn't play that much. So yeah I'm excited about the offense but the defense was a different story.

Well Jake I look at it this way. If your offense is putting up 49 points you are doing pretty good regardless of whether the defense you are scoring on is bad or good. Last year during the regular season our offense looked like crap against several teams that had bad defenses, so I was encouraged by what I saw out of the offense last night. And what made it even more impressive was the fact that our starting RB didn't play and our starting QB didn't play that much. So yeah I'm excited about the offense but the defense was a different story.

I don't know which scrimmage you were at....but the QB's swapped every series, so the snaps were 50/50.  I agree that putting 49 points up was good for a first padded scrimmage, but make no mistake, it does matter whether a defense is good or bad, and that defense of SD was horrid.  Lot of good things offensively to take away from the scrimmage, though.  Who do you think is the starting RB?  The RB's that will get most of the carries the first 4 games were playing last night, IMO......My guess is that you consider Devin the starter, but that won't happen until maybe later on in the season, if it happens then.  With all the conditioning that Devin has missed, it will be a while before he will be able to go both ways, and as you saw last night, his presence is needed much more on the defensive side of the ball than the offense.

Well all I know is we managed to score 49 points, that's impressive even if it is against a bad defense. Last year the offense looked terrible in several games against bad teams and that was with peyton otis running the ball. We don't have a peyton otis on this years team but our offense looks pretty good. You can really tell that some of our athletes have gotten alot better since last year. I was especially happy to see that Tipton has figured out how to run north to south.