JV State

LightsOutWrestler

That is not even the thought,

Its about getting these JV.. back up guys more matches at a little higher level. These kids may otherwise never see or know what their true potential is because without the opportunity for them to wrestle they may quit our great sport.

I think any and every opportunity for a JV, FR, or any wrestler to get a match is key to keeping them around the sport and hungry to achieve more.

We must create as many chances to get mat time for these young men as possible.. after all many times they are the reason the VARSITY kids win... they push them in the room.

Whether the name of the tournament is JV STATE or JV invitational or whatever... that is irrelevant.

Yes, and I am hosting it. It is not a real TSSAA state tournament. It is a tournament where anyone with JV guys can enter (even more than one in a weight class). I call it a state tournament because I will let anyone in the state enter in the tournament. Wouldn't it be great if we all got more mat time in?

And just for the record some of these JV guys could place in the State if it weren't for some stud in the lineup ahead of them. For example last year my JV 145 (behind Jacob Freeman) Haydn Jennings beat the #3 145 in the state in a dual match. But he never got to wrestle because of Freeman/Warren/Reynolds kept him JV. But keeping him made the other 3 better.

Josh Peck

Ravenwood High School

Host of the JV State

and maybe next year host of the Freshmen/Sophomore/Junior/Senior State championships :)

Yes, and I am hosting it. It is not a real TSSAA state tournament. It is a tournament where anyone with JV guys can enter (even more than one in a weight class). I call it a state tournament because I will let anyone in the state enter in the tournament. Wouldn't it be great if we all got more mat time in?

And just for the record some of these JV guys could place in the State if it weren't for some stud in the lineup ahead of them. For example last year my JV 145 (behind Jacob Freeman) Haydn Jennings beat the #3 145 in the state in a dual match. But he never got to wrestle because of Freeman/Warren/Reynolds kept him JV. But keeping him made the other 3 better.

Josh Peck

Ravenwood High School

Host of the JV State

and maybe next year host of the Freshmen/Sophomore/Junior/Senior State championships :)

Great idea.    When is this tournament?

Josh Peck

Ravenwood High School

Host of the JV State

This is awesome and great idea. Are you going to let 8th graders compete as well or just High School?

How about this HSDAD. Why don't you find another thread to follow. Since you don't care about developing TN wrestling/wrestlers with the comments that you have brought to this thread. I think its a great idea. Whatever it takes to get these JV/freshman more mat time. We need more JV/freshman tournaments to develop these guys for when its their turn to be varsity.   

• 1 month later...

Here is the information for the tournament.

Please email me back if you plan on attending so I can add your name to the list.  And I can email you how to enter your rosters.  Everyone is invited as long as they will not wrestle in the Regionals (D1) or in the State (D2).  This is only for JV guys.

I've had a bunch of coaches email me about the tournament but did not confirm that they would be coming.  So please let me know you plan on attending.  This will be run using track wrestling.  Last year the tournament was done at 1pm.

Thank you,
Josh Peck