Club volleyball in knoxville

bigbluevolley

Problem is, people like J and Tom know a LOT about volleyball, but dont know how to coach young girls worth a crap.

We have had coaches that knew how to coach but didnt know all the in's and out's of volleyball and coaches that knew everything about volleyball but couldnt "reach" the girls or coach them up so they could win.

Some of the these young coaches may be really good and some may not.

clubonly I would love to get your thoughts on this after I give mine.

I think spike4 has a great point. KVA should not be publisizing the Libero from Bearden on their web site. This is a business now. She learned nothing at KVA (correct). She learned everything at K2 and Bearden. If the Bearden coach wants to put her picture out there he should put it on the Bearden web site not his clubs web site. I just think that is misrepresenting his club. I don't care if the girl is best friends with the coache's daughter or not. It's not kosher and he should know that. If Phoenix Rising did that I would feel the same way. I'm sure there are some very intelligent business minds involved with KVA and if they don't see this as a non kosher business move then they are VERY WRONG!!!.

Clubonly  You seem to have a grip on the whole thing. Take your alliance out of this equation and tell us what you think.

I do agree that both clubs have young coaches.  That can't be avoided but to say that Tom doesn't know how to coach girls is pretty funny.  I think because people don't like his style they think that he doesn't know how to coach girls.  I don't like a lot of coaches styles but I wouldn't say that they don't know how to coach.  As far as his coaching experience he actually has 4 national championships, coached and studied in Japan (the best volleyball in the world), he's coached for over 20 years (started in high school), has players in pros and colleges, and still coaches pro and collegiate athletes in the off season (DeeDee Harrison, Kelsie Robinson, Marie Pollmiller).  He runs camps in Florida, Colorado, and Alabama.  This is what he does.  People just don't like his style.  That's why KVA is a great option.  I also like J.  I don't know J as a coach as well as I do Tom.  When I found out my daughter may be playing for Tom I did my homework.  I will do the same if she is ever to be coached by J.  Tom and I have had our differences but we talk them out.  I don't argue with his coaching style because the proof is all right there, including my child.  

Plus K2 added a new coach from Mintonette volleyball.  That's a seriously competitive club out of Columbus, OH.  J, which i'm sure people already know his experience, Zack (from Mintonette), and Tom now are the coaches of the recruitable aged players.  All have college connections, all have a lot of experience.  Way to go K2.  I appreciate the fact that they're taking it to the next level and I credit the opening of KVA for that.  It's forced them to focus on quality not quantity.  I can't say it enough.  People should go to the club that's best for their child.  It's not about getting everyone to see your side.  That'll never happen.  Knoxville now has a choice.  Not many choices, but they still have a choice.

BigBlue, its probably a little wierd to have Eleni on the KVA website since all of her training came from SMJVC and K2.  Maybe he was trying to get some credit or just not thinking, I dont know.  I probably would not have put her on my website.  But, I dont think it matters.  Any college coach looking for recruits will do their research and know where she came from if they are investigating the club.  I dont think having her on the website swayed anyone to go to KVA instead of K2 or PR.  Almost everyone in the knoxville volleyball community knows the deal so I dont think it really matters. 

Knoxvolley, after you have been at K2 for a few years, come back on here and let me know how you feel.  I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but it went downhill from there.  Hopefully the opening of KVA woke them up to make some changes and then they can have a long life and keep the competition with clubs that we all need in the Knoxville area.  If they didnt wake up, they wont be here five years from now.

clubonly, It's not the colleges looking at the website. It's false advertisement, but it's to be expected. He will use anything and anyone to advance his agenda. I can just see if he had a big time D1 signing and K2 put it on their website. Like I said though, it's to be expected. I wouldn't expect anything else out of him.

How about if we start doing the right thing?