Blackman at Maryville.

tennesseestud2013

Pepvol,

Anytime I am asked, "How is Quarles so good?"  My answer is always, "David Ellis."  His kids consistently grade out in the 90s and he is an outstanding line coach.  Many of his kids just aren't that big and yet they handle much bigger and better players.  The only time I can remember a defensive lineman really wreaking havoc against Maryville was the Mo-West defensive end in the playoffs several years back (sorry, I don't remember his name).  Other than that, they have been truly outstanding and he deserves a ton of recognition.

I agree with the assessment.  In addition to the one you mention: Although the Rebels turned in over four times in the 10-7 loss to Hillsboro in 2008, another huge factor was that they couldn't block the outstanding DE from Hillsboro.   He was that good too.

Edited by OldRebel2

Although all the assistants seem to be great coaches, IMO the only coach they couldn't do without is The Head Man. It's easier to play defense when you are averaging 40+ per game and easier to block when you outscheme your opponent. There is a reason he is the AD.

I do agree , Quarles is the Glue that holds it together , plus Quarles being the Humble type of guy that he is makes these other Great coaches we have willing to stay here and not worry about who gets credit for what . That is huge , most places that have the success that Maryville has had have had egos get in the way from continuing their success . 

Pepvol,

Anytime I am asked, "How is Quarles so good?"  My answer is always, "David Ellis."  His kids consistently grade out in the 90s and he is an outstanding line coach.  Many of his kids just aren't that big and yet they handle much bigger and better players.  The only time I can remember a defensive lineman really wreaking havoc against Maryville was the Mo-West defensive end in the playoffs several years back (sorry, I don't remember his name).  Other than that, they have been truly outstanding and he deserves a ton of recognition.

I guess you're talking about Brandon Fanney who went to Alabama . RebelRon gives the same Answer as you as far as Coach Ellis , it is Amazing how good the Line is every year even without a Jay Guillremo on the Line . 

Blade,

That is a paper argument. If you really wanted to assess whether Quarles was the best in the nation, according to your criteria, you would have to give GQ a team with the same or similar athletes that you'd find in GA, TX, etc. However, Maryville doesn't have that luxury. Despite that, Quarles has proven that he can beat teams that have more natural ability than his Maryville athletes. Even if he took his team into Texas or Georgia or Florida to play it would prove nothing unless they won. If he lost it would largely be because the kids are Maryville are just overwhelmed by superior talent. If he wins it would be an amazing testament to his coaching ability. Football starts with talent and coaching makes that better. If the talent is not there then the coaching can only help so much. Vince Lombardi, while alive, could take over as head coach at Tennessee Tech and hire Nick Saban as his defensive coordinator and Chip Kelly as his offensive coordinator, but the Golden Eagles still would not beat Alabama if they played them 20 times. Alabama just has too much talent for TTU and the great coaching staff to overcome. So your idea that he would have to play against the best in the nation to prove himself really doesn't hold up. Quarles has coached up his team to compete with, and regularly beat, some of the best teams in this entire state. He has done it so well that he is the winningest coach in the nation during the last decade. That is an amazing testament to his ability as a coach.

who has superior talent? This year Edited by bladerunner

I looked it up and GQ IS  the-

AD at Maryville..

And from what I understand, he is satisfied with the games he schedules.. So.. he does not want to play the best..he wants to go out as - The winningest Coach in  Tn HS  history----........ Which is great. Do not misunderstand me..

O.r.'s AD hires blade stevens and then rehires romeo for a second attempt at love and you are satisfied with that.Runner you need to trim the cardinal and gray wool out of your eyes.

Ellis gets the most out of many average linemen for one of many reasons. If people, who understand line player footwork, watch closely you'll find Ellis' troops make the necessary steps to be in position for the block. Many, really most HS teams don't teach footwork fundamentals to their linemen. Most just teach the hole and angle to move the defender. Minimizing your steps with leading with the appropriate foot first and your way ahead. Maryville does that better than most and the lineman have an advantage. Its next level coaching.

Ellis is among the best in this area.

I looked it up and GQ IS the-

AD at Maryville..

And from what I understand, he is satisfied with the games he schedules.. So.. he does not want to play the best..he wants to go out as - The winningest Coach in Tn HS history----........ Which is great. Do not misunderstand me..

There is no misunderstanding of how you truly feel about Maryville. I have been reading these post and the underlying message is very clear to me and everyone else on here. Bladerunner you have always been a Maryville hater. Your cry used to be that "Maryville couldn't win state titles if they played with the big boys " (what division does the team you pull for play in now ;) ). Since GQ has proved you wrong with that arguement you move on to "Maryville doesn't play the best in the country "....."GQ is satisfied and does not want to play the best".....

My son loves playing for GQ and that is all that matters to me. I do not care what high school teams are doing in other states.....the Maryville Rebels are playing for and winning State titles....and it has happened MANY TIMES under this coaching staff and IMO it will happen many more.....hopefully my son that is a sophomore will win a State title Saturday evening and hopefully play for more.) I want my youngest who is in the 7th grade to get the same chance during his high school career with this staff. The future looks bright for the up and coming middle school Rebels.....hope you are able to find some success with a small part in your life, so maybe you will quit trying to make yourself look so smart and intelligent by bashing on the Rebels.

(You have proved your intelligence over and over with past comments ).....

Good day bladerunner may the sun always shine on our "REBELS" :)

Edited by Rebels5star

GQ does an awesome job at Coaching and AD! Thats a hard thing taking care of both of these duties! I may be wrong but in some states playing out of state schools does not go twards playoff points. Then you have to consider the travel, food, hotel accomodations etc... This is high school bladerunner not college! You should be proud of this program for what they have accomplished! It is very impressive to say the least! GO REBELS!! I have seen high school football in a lot of states and from what i have seen the better teams in most states would be very competitive with each other! Maryville, Alcoa etc. could hang with the best in  other states and beat the best in other states! My 2 cents for what its worth! $0! Lol!!

Edited by warhawks

BR think about this. You take any team in the country good, bad, or mediocre. Trade staffs and put GQ on there. Do you really believe GQ and staff wouldn't make that team better?

Yes I think so. It looks like most on here are saying that no one can even Challenge GQ. I just don't believe that--- nation wide anyway. I have spent time in GA- Calif and TX.. I have seen some great  programs.. To say GQ could beat the top schools there---Well, I just don't know.. GQ is a class act and a heck of Coach. And he maybe the best in the Country..