Semi-Finals: Cleveland @ West

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which reminds me, where is WH4L with tonight's promised history lesson?

Sorry guys but as promised here is the history lesson of the last time West and Cleveland threw down in the playoffs before they meet again this Friday night.

It was 2006 and it was the first time West had reached the playoffs since their upset at Cleveland two years before. West was 3-4 before they rolled off 3 consecutive victories to finish 6-4 (6-1 in district play) to host their first playoff game since 1994. West was led by a balanced attack with Jake Ryan at QB and TJ Wilson at tailback. Cleveland entered the game 8-2 and had to travel to West this time unlike the previous two games. Cleveland had missed the playoffs the year before but looked like a team ready to atone for not going the year before.

It was a cold night, but West's stadium was electric with fans on both sides excited for the playoffs. West started off with a bang with a long touchdown pass from Jake Ryan to Ken Easterly for the 7-0 lead. Cleveland went right back down the field but threw a costly interception that a few plays later was turned into a touchdown run by TJ Wilson. Cleveland would score on their next possession, but would not score again the rest of the night as West's balanced offense controlled the clock and kept on scoring to win 35-7.

Cleveland would finish their season 8-3, while West traveled to Red Bank the following week and were decimated 28-8 to finish 7-5. West would only the miss the playoffs one more time after this season in 2009. Cleveland would make the playoffs through 2010 but had not been back until this season.

Tomorrow night I will write about the purpose of me sharing the history of these two schools playing one another as well as my prediction for the game Friday night. I hope you all enjoyed and most importantly I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Go West!

Sorry guys but as promised here is the history lesson of the last time West and Cleveland threw down in the playoffs before they meet again this Friday night.

It was 2006 and it was the first time West had reached the playoffs since their upset at Cleveland two years before. West was 3-4 before they rolled off 3 consecutive victories to finish 6-4 (6-1 in district play) to host their first playoff game since 1994. West was led by a balanced attack with Jake Ryan at QB and TJ Wilson at tailback. Cleveland entered the game 8-2 and had to travel to West this time unlike the previous two games. Cleveland had missed the playoffs the year before but looked like a team ready to atone for not going the year before.

It was a cold night, but West's stadium was electric with fans on both sides excited for the playoffs. West started off with a bang with a long touchdown pass from Jake Ryan to Ken Easterly for the 7-0 lead. Cleveland went right back down the field but threw a costly interception that a few plays later was turned into a touchdown run by TJ Wilson. Cleveland would score on their next possession, but would not score again the rest of the night as West's balanced offense controlled the clock and kept on scoring to win 35-7.

Cleveland would finish their season 8-3, while West traveled to Red Bank the following week and were decimated 28-8 to finish 7-5. West would only the miss the playoffs one more time after this season in 2009. Cleveland would make the playoffs through 2010 but had not been back until this season.

Tomorrow night I will write about the purpose of me sharing the history of these two schools playing one another as well as my prediction for the game Friday night. I hope you all enjoyed and most importantly I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Go West!

Good stuff. Same to you and from a die-hard AC fan I agree, go West!

I was on that 2006 team that won, but I was a freshman. I was also a senior on that 2009 team, but I would like to point out that was still a good team. That was the first year of the new super district and Farragut, Catholic, and Bearden were all still very good then. Farragut had Lee Van Dyne, Reese Browning, and Deandre Purty....we lost by a touchdown and led in the 4th. Catholic had Dorian Cozart, Kyler Kerybson, etc.......they won by 3 on a mud ridden field that should have been deemed unplayable. We lost to Fulton by one point, 14-13. The first game was tragically stopped in the 3rd quarter and that was deemed a loss. The only games we couldn't have won were Bearden and Maryville.

Edited by RunninRebels