The Power Lies On The East side of the State

greengreen22

Not! because of his obvious haterade for Alcoa and Maryville he totally disregarded RebRaiders point here: "Coach, there are lots and lots of open enrollment schools out there. Most of them are the smaller county schools that you are talking about being hurt the most..."

To attribute Alcoa's 13 and Maryville's 14 state championships to their open enrollment policy is ridiculous and disregards the effort, dedication and program buy-in of the mass majority of kids who have grown up in their respective local communities. Open enrollment has not equated to 13 or 14 gold balls....truth!!!

ok I agree open enrollment is not the only factor for Alcoa and Maryville winning. Coaching, facilities, tradition all play a part. But the ability for a kid with talent to cross lines into blount county to play ball does help out. Most open zoned schools are still restricted to in county residents. Its to my understanding that in Blount, if they have the capacity to take you, and you pay the fee, you can go there. I may be mistaken but that's they way I understood it works. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

It's just a hypothetical question. I wouldn't advocate that. In 2012, Aloca HS had an enrollement of 536 total students. Of those 536 students, 193 or 36% were out of zone students. That's a very high percentage. How many of those 193 played on the football team? Remember, it only takes one or two to make a big impact, especially in HS.

You can see how outsiders look at alcoa's dominance in football over the past several decades coupled with OOZ student numbers like that and wonder, can't you?

Just to play devils advocate,if UH had 193 student come in, say half were male. Of those half 96,say the same % of them played football as the rest of the male populaion of the school. That would rough guess add about 16 kids. 4 in each grade. Now of that 16, 8 specifically wanted to play for UH because of the tradtion, facilities, and coaching (helped built by years of open enrollment). You add 2 big time players per grade to any team and it will make a major impact. Even the fact that the every day joe's practice with that talent makes them better too. It crazy to think it doesn't have some impact. That being said, I beleave in school choice. So more power to the ones that can do it. The TSSAA cant regulate everything, specially tradition and pride. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

It's just a hypothetical question. I wouldn't advocate that. In 2012, Aloca HS had an enrollement of 536 total students. Of those 536 students, 193 or 36% were out of zone students. That's a very high percentage. How many of those 193 played on the football team? Remember, it only takes one or two to make a big impact, especially in HS.

You can see how outsiders look at alcoa's dominance in football over the past several decades coupled with OOZ student numbers like that and wonder, can't you?

Funny how two-three weeks ago, all we heard from your flapping gums was how CPA was gonna mash Alcoa. With all those 6'8" 380lb D1 lineman, the little Tornadoes stood NO chance. Now, you are gonna start flapping about OOZ players. Get real ICM! Your high dollar team got whipped and that's the bottom line. Take it and move on! Lol!!

Funny how two-three weeks ago, all we heard from your flapping gums was how CPA was gonna mash Alcoa. With all those 6'8" 380lb D1 lineman, the little Tornadoes stood NO chance. Now, you are gonna start flapping about OOZ players. Get real ICM! Your high dollar team got whipped and that's the bottom line. Take it and move on! Lol!!

This 1!

Having 3 powerhouse DII teams dilutes the talent for other 3a - 6a teams in Midd Tenn.

A lot of those Gold Balls at Ensworth were won with kids from Neighboring counties playing major roles. Not to mention MBA and BA have their share of athletes from other counties as well.

In Knoxville there are no DII teams attracting players away from those public schools. But open enrollment policies do shift the power to certain schools in the east.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the balance of power if open enrollment schools had a 1.8 multiplier or if the practice were discontinued altogether. It would certainly level the playing field some.

This rule hurts the smaller county schools the most.

This even has more of an effect in Chattanooga.   Two DII teams (Baylor-McCallie).  These guys pull the best player from each middle school almost every year.  Plus, there are another 5 or 6 private schools fighting for good players.  ND, SBA, Boyd, CCS, Grace.