The Power Lies On The East side of the State

greengreen22

Having 3 powerhouse DII teams dilutes the talent for other 3a - 6a teams in Midd Tenn.

A lot of those Gold Balls at Ensworth were won with kids from Neighboring counties playing major roles. Not to mention MBA and BA have their share of athletes from other counties as well.

In Knoxville there are no DII teams attracting players away from those public schools. But open enrollment policies do shift the power to certain schools in the east.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the balance of power if open enrollment schools had a 1.8 multiplier or if the practice were discontinued altogether. It would certainly level the playing field some.

This rule hurts the smaller county schools the most.

Coach, there are lots and lots of open enrollment schools out there. Most of them are the smaller county schools that you are talking about being hurt the most. Building a good program is the recruiting tool that helps the most. Everyone seems to take shots at successful programs but the fact is that unless there are space issues just about any public school out there will take out of zone kids. If they are out of state kids going into most any school or out of city kids trying to get into a city school they pay tuition. If you are a decent student with no discipline problems you can usually get in.

Coach, there are lots and lots of open enrollment schools out there. Most of them are the smaller county schools that you are talking about being hurt the most. Building a good program is the recruiting tool that helps the most. Everyone seems to take shots at successful programs but the fact is that unless there are space issues just about any public school out there will take out of zone kids. If they are out of state kids going into most any school or out of city kids trying to get into a city school they pay tuition. If you are a decent student with no discipline problems you can usually get in.

I'm not taking shots at open enrollment schools. I think what they are doing is fine if their school and district has room for the kids. The school must be good to attract students. I think students zoned to a poor school should have a choice.

I just think if the school allows students from outside their zone that pay a tuition to play sports then they should be subject to the 1.8 multiplier. And Maryville who is already 6A should play DII AA.

That would level the playing field. As good as Alcoa and Maryville are they might still win state championships every year.

Seems like those schools might want to face better competition anyway as they have dominated their respective classifications. By attracting and adding players from outside their zone it gives them depth other schools don't have. That depth helps them and is an advantage. Any open enrollment school should be subject to the multiplier. They have a wider reach to get athletes much like a private school.

I'm not taking shots at open enrollment schools. I think what they are doing is fine if their school and district has room for the kids. The school must be good to attract students. I think students zoned to a poor school should have a choice.

I just think if the school allows students from outside their zone that pay a tuition to play sports then they should be subject to the 1.8 multiplier. And Maryville who is already 6A should play DII AA.

That would level the playing field. As good as Alcoa and Maryville are they might still win state championships every year.

Seems like those schools might want to face better competition anyway as they have dominated their respective classifications. By attracting and adding players from outside their zone it gives them depth other schools don't have. That depth helps them and is an advantage. Any open enrollment school should be subject to the multiplier. They have a wider reach to get athletes much like a private school.

very good post.

very good post.

Not! because of his obvious haterade for Alcoa and Maryville he totally disregarded RebRaiders point here: "Coach, there are lots and lots of open enrollment schools out there. Most of them are the smaller county schools that you are talking about being hurt the most..."

To attribute Alcoa's 13 and Maryville's 14 state championships to their open enrollment policy is ridiculous and disregards the effort, dedication and program buy-in of the mass majority of kids who have grown up in their respective local communities. Open enrollment has not equated to 13 or 14 gold balls....truth!!!

Not! because of his obvious haterade for Alcoa and Maryville he totally disregarded RebRaiders point here: "Coach, there are lots and lots of open enrollment schools out there. Most of them are the smaller county schools that you are talking about being hurt the most..."

To attribute Alcoa's 13 and Maryville's 14 state championships to their open enrollment policy is ridiculous and disregards the effort, dedication and program buy-in of the mass majority of kids who have grown up in their respective local communities. Open enrollment has not equated to 13 or 14 gold balls....truth!!!

Then you would have no problem with discontinuing the practice of allowing OOZ students to play sports.  Correct?