My "Official" State Rankings Poll (State Finalalists Only)

JSamson7

I know a lot of you guys on here like to project how the IFL (Imaginary Football League) would turn out in regards to the best teams in the state regardless of classification.  I compiled a poll of my own only using the teams who made it to their respective classification's championship games.

It was actually quite interesting to see how much some of the teams actually crossed paths during the season, but in this poll I factored in overall record, results of games played against other teams in the sample, & if it came down to any tie breakers I inevitably had to use teams outside the sample to judge who would get the nod.  Feel free to blow as many holes in it as possible, but here it is complete with class, record, notable W's & L's within the sample group...

1.  Maryville (6A/15-0) - (W) Knox Webb (35-15), (W) Alcoa (31-2), (W) Knox West (42-20), (W) Hendersonville (44-7)

2.  Knox Fulton (4A/15-0) - (W) Giles County (54-14)

3.  Ensworth (DII Large/11-1) -  (W) Giles County (48-7), (W) MUS (27-10)

4.  Henry County (5A/15-0) - (W) Knox West (28-27)

5.  Alcoa (3A/14-1) - (L) Maryville (2-31), (W) CPA (25-7)

6.  Knox West (5A/13-2) - (L) Maryville (20-42), (L) Henry County (27-28)

7.  MUS (DII Large/10-3) - (L) Ensworth (10-27)

8.  CPA (3A/14-1) - (W) Giles County (38-10), (L) Alcoa (7-25)

9.  Knox Webb (DII Small/10-3) - (L) Maryville (15-35), (W) St. Georges (28-14)

10.  Giles County (4A/12-3) - (L) CPA (10-38), (L) Ensworth (7-48), (L) Fulton (14-54)

11.  Hendersonville (6A/11-4) - (L) Maryville (7-44)

12.  Trousdale County (2A/14-0) - (W) Adamsville (21-12)

13.  Union City (1A/13-1) - (W) South Pittsburgh (23-14)

14.  South Pittsburgh (1A/12-2) - (L) Union City (14-23)

15.  Adamsville (2A/11-3) - (L) Trousdale County (12-21)

16.  St. Georges (DII Small/9-4) - (L) Knox Webb (14-28)

It would be fair to say that numbers 5 though 10 could vary greatly, but one team that helped out a lot in terms of comparisons was Giles County.  I kind of feel sorry for them in a way, but (outside of Maryville) they can honestly they played the best competition in the state.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that Hendersonville was marked back this far simply because of the Maryville loss. (Anybody on that list would've lost equally as bad minus about 3 teams) I agree with everything but feel that the Commandos are more around 6th on that list. Head to head with most others in that list, they would win. Maryville is definitely #1 but I feel that Ensworth is in a close 2nd with Fulton @ 3rd. IMO

Notable wins for Henry County should also include:

1   Clarksville Northeast . . . had us down 11 with 4 minutes left during the regular season

2   Ridgeway, who could beat anyone in 5A on a given night

3   Memphis East beat the best teams in Memphis and gave us all we wanted.  Best team we played all year.  They lost to White Station by 1 and beat Whitehaven.

I know a few people who have hunting leases down Paris way. The word around Paris is, "They want Maryville". Us Blount County folks get out of East Tennessee every now and then besides going to Cookeville.

I'm deep into Henry County Football and quite connected (often to my dismay).  Haven't heard even a whisper of such.  That said, we'll be ready at 7 pm tonight.  Be careful driving.