Gibson Co. @ Union City

GCPioneer

If GC tries to play anything other than a slow down game or pack it in the paint game they will be in real trouble against UC. That is the only way you can hope to stay in the game. They can't match up with UC man on man. LC played stall ball and UC didn't shoot it as good as they had done all season so they stayed close. If UC was hitting the outside shot like they had in earlier games they would have had to make adjustments. The pack it in zone doesn't work anymore these girls have seen that for three years now. With that being said GC has a great coach and I'm sure he can come up with some strategies that will make the GC UC match up one to watch.

Just wondering if yaal might remember this statement I made. I have but one more to make

Amber Fair has yet to play for this team, they will only get better after Christmas. Amber Fair is a big body and a proven shooter from outside. Back to the drawing board.

good call! We should've listened to UC's own. Expect that next time around.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic of GC playing a different defense on UC,my question is where is GC going to get offense from?

They will not miss shots like they did last night. You can keep thinking that. But the offense worked pretty good for most of game. We just could not make OPEN shots we have made all year. I am very confident it will be a much different story next time around. Do you agree on the shots we have made al year gc pioneer?

Gibson County handled UC's press and for the most part I thought handled the ball OK. Problem was that between the whole 2nd Quarter and half the

3rd Quarter they didn't score. They missed 5 or 6 lay ups and 8-10 shots 5-8 foot from the basket. And I will say UC's pressure match up zone defense was hectic and was obviously the best defense GC has seen this year. But as I said earlier, UC has a great down low game and a great defense, but they will struggle when teams pack it in and make them win from outside. I think GC will pack it in next time and not try to play man and press them because UC handled the press well. Congrats to UC. A very good team. I asked a UC assistant tonight why they played Jackson County man last year and he just shook his head and said our bread and butter is the match up zone. I look for both teams to make it to Murfreesboro, and I will give UC the edge to go further because of their depth and their down low game. If they ever get a decent outside game they will blow teams away even worse. But a very good team. One good thing is if GC makes to the Boro, they will be in opposite brackets till the finals.

UC cannot play Jackson County in a match up zone, no way no how.  

They will not miss shots like they did last night. You can keep thinking that. But the offense worked pretty good for most of game. We just could not make OPEN shots we have made all year. I am very confident it will be a much different story next time around. Do you agree on the shots we have made al year gc pioneer?

Amber Fair has yet to play with this team; they will only get better after Christmas. Amber Fair is a big body down low and a proven shooter from outside. So that will give them at least two shooters to go along with the size they have. What about the distributing and driving of Hudson? This will be a more balanced team in January with Fair back on the floor. Open shots can be effected by size and defense that’s what happened last night.

The topic of GC playing a different defense on UC,my question is where is GC going to get offense from?

you did see how many open shots we missed last night, right? Our girls finally got semi settled in in the fourth and were knocking down shots. Like I said, next time around we need to make this game as low scoring as possible and hopefully the next set of refs know what a walk is. That PG for you guys takes all kinds of extra steps that didnt get called. If Greenfield and TCA can hold you guys to low 30s in scoring, we should be able to hold you guys into the 20s. We have offense, they just sho 18% as someone said. We got shots off, they just didn't fall.

Gibson Co only got those open looks because UC went zone some in the 4th quarter when the game was out of hand.They didnt get many open looks when UC played man.Like UCBBall said,this team will be better when Fair get back.You wont hold them to 20 points with Fair GC Pioneer,because she is going to score 20-25 herself. Like UCBBall said in his post, UC was just too big,physical,and quicker than GC and they havent seen a team like that all year.Im not the one saying UC cant be beat,but GC was out their league.GC once said that if its a low scoring game UC will win,but if it gets in the 50s GC will win,I didnt think GC would score 20 last night.LOL.Now GC is saying to keep the game low scoring next time.Thats there only chance because that GC group not scoring 50 on UC.

Gibson Co only got those open looks because UC went zone some in the 4th quarter when the game was out of hand.They didnt get many open looks when UC played man.Like UCBBall said,this team will be better when Fair get back.You wont hold them to 20 points with Fair GC Pioneer,because she is going to score 20-25 herself. Like UCBBall said in his post, UC was just too big,physical,and quicker than GC and they havent seen a team like that all year.Im not the one saying UC cant be beat,but GC was out their league.GC once said that if its a low scoring game UC will win,but if it gets in the 50s GC will win,I didnt think GC would score 20 last night.LOL.Now GC is saying to keep the game low scoring next time.Thats there only chance because that GC group not scoring 50 on UC.

Yea, we won't score 50 on Union City, I'll admit that right now.... Very rarely does Gibson Co. have to adjust to what OTHER teams do. It's usually them adjusting to us. You guys are the better team, no doubt. Butttt, if you look at my earlier post, I said if we miss wide open shots around the basket and turn the ball over a lot we will lose. This isn't the first game we've been missing those shots. Your defense, yea okay, it's tough, but this wasn't the first time we've been missing those shots. If you want to think you guys are 20 points better, go ahead... I guarantee you it's a completely different ball game when you come to our place. Next game will be the press back into a zone instead of man.... you guys did struggle some with our press and it forced turnovers. 

I agree with you GC that you will not press UC the next time and sit back in a zone.Another thing to take into consideration is Raven Fair picked up 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes of the game and had to sit a while.Raven is the leading scorer.Raven,Christian Davis, and Keisha Alexander can all make 3s and then Amber Fair will olay the next time.I know you guys will be better next time but UC is getting the best player in the district back.

Not impressed with Gibson County....kinda disappointed to some degree.  they hit a major cold spell from 2:8 left in the first quarter and didn't score until about 3minutes into the 3rd quarter. It will be very interesting to see how things ok out with Amber Fair coming back out on the court with a  1  1/2 year absence from basketball.  Union City is he team to beat in west Tennessee.  If Amber can bring added things and things missing to the table...union City may win out and take the Gold ball.  You never know though and a loss is usually good, especially when it fall in the season. 

Edited by ucdiditagain