Tri-County Seven- Week #5

coachh17

Somebody fixed Johnson County's schedule....thanks!  As a result, I moved them up to #6.  They can keep it with a win over Unaka on Tuesday.  Hampton and Unicoi County have important weeks.  I was in Nashville last week, but was glad to see 1,400 views and 57 replies to the Week #4 column.  These players and coaches work hard and it is good to see that their fans appreciate what they do!

1. Elizabethton-  (AA) (9-1)-  Beat Hampton by 23, though the Lady Dogs have key injuries, and beat a good Sullivan East team on the road by 17.  This is a very balanced team that plays 1 senior, 3 juniors, 5 sophomores, and a freshman.  They score inside and out and are hard to score on.  They host Unicoi County Friday.

2. Cloudland-  (A) (10-2)-  Whipped Avery County, NC, but lost a tough league game at home to South Greene by 2.  I have not seen the Lady Landers this year.  It appears that Wilson, Clarke, and Mull are leading the way.  The Lady Landers host Unicoi County on Tuesday. 

3. Hampton-  (A) (6-3)-  Lost to Elizabethton and beat Unicoi County by 5 last week.  Coach Tolley is trying to overcome post injuries.  I believe Montgomery will miss about another month.

4. Unicoi County-  (AA) (5-5)-  Beaten soundly by East and lost to Hampton.  The hot three point shooting cooled off.  We will see what the Lady Devils are made of this week.  They visit #2 Cloudland Tuesday and #1 Elizabethton on Friday with a chance to move way up.

5. Happy Valley-  (AA) (6-6)-  Lost to South and beat Johnson County.  Jenna Eaton had a big game and may emerge as the third scorer they need to compliment Blankenship and Johnson.  They should beat North Monday and then will play in the Bristol Doc Maples tournament Thursday through Saturday.

6. Johnson County-  (AA) (4-5)-  Crushed North and lost to Happy Valley.  Visit Unaka on Tuesday and host South Friday.

7. Unaka-  (A) (3-9)-  Beat University High by 1 and lost by 25 at North Greene.  They host Johnson County Tuesday and need a win.

Not taking anything away from SG but the Lady Landers played their hearts out Friday night! We just couldn't get shots to fall in 2nd and 3rd qtrs! We did make some stupid fouls all through the game! And yes the Rebels scored probably 15-20 off foul shots! I think as a team we had like 3-3 pointers! And thats way low for us! I really don't understand why we sit Russell in the 2nd half, because she is big on the boards and easy lay ups underneath! But Thats why I watch from the bleachers and not out there coaching! Matt does a fine job! I wish the boys coach would get fired up on them like Matt does the girls! Any way! SG is a good, fast, well coached team! It'll be tuff to beat them down there!

Going by what coach said in the paper, we didn't get after them defensivly like we should. Matt has proven through the years that he can coach and he has a great assistant with him. I know other teams are good but as a fan of a great highlander squad, I expect to win them all. I'm sure these girls will learn from this and improve their intensity. This conference is tough and it will take 100 percent effort to win every night but they can. I respect the heck out of coach Tolley and his lady dogs. I hate it for their post player because she always played with passion. They will still be a tough out. We gotta get ready to play

Great game tonight between Sullivan South and Johnson County. Sullivan South pulled out a nailbiter over Johnson County 50-46. Johnson County was down 2 with 50 seconds to go and missed 2 free throws along with 4 layups down the stretch from what I heard. But closer than what I thought it would be.

Edited by gonefishin6245

Lady Dogs played pretty bad at SG especially in the first half.  I hate to blame the refs but you know what you are going to get down there.  SG is a decent team.  Dogs made a good run towards the end to cut the lead to 5 or 6 but couldn't get any closer. 

You are correct tyler but officiating didnt beat the Lady Dogs, they did it to themselves. Right now with BOTH their posts being out they are struggling. The best lineup last night was when they put 5 guards on the floor. They cut it from 22 to 8 and actually had a chance. I know this will benefit us down the road it is hard to watch at the moment. The freshmen are playing like freshmen, which means sometimes like last night they dont show up. The sad part about last night was that some of the Hampton guards were running from the ball and left Bowers by herself against the pressure. South Greene has a good team but the Lady Dogs made them look like world beaters last night.