Collinwood 2014

wildcat89

I played at Loretto and enjoyed what few battles we had with Collinwood ('93-'96). I met a lot of great friends in those battles. Casey Ward, Brian Hunt, and big John Bray. I truly hate to see Collinwood to have the struggles like they have had lately. They have a trdition of hard nosed players with tons of discipline. Hopfully those traditions will be restored in "The Hole" as we called it in Loretto.

John Bray...I got to see him play once but man he was like a runaway train going down a mountain...what a back

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-the talent has been there, make no mistake about that.. if not how did they beat Waynesboro and take CA to the last tick of the clock just last season...both those teams were district champions if memory serves

Cwood had the talent last year, but when you lose your best two or three players in the first three games it's hard to compete. Had Cwood stayed healthy I think they would have won the district, as a matter of fact I think I had them picked myself to win it. I also think Cwood will turn things around over the next couple of years but this year I think they will suffer too many growing pains.

John Bray...I got to see him play once but man he was like a runaway train going down a mountain...what a back

I, unfortunately, was on the other side of that train a few times. Bray is the one of the three that I mentioned that I haven't see in years. Every time I go through C'wood I think about the last time I played against those boys in "The Hole". A few of our starters was sitting out of the scrimmage, we were in trouble for acting up in the locker room (7 of us), and C'wood got up on us. Their coach was letting everyone know that the Mighty Mustangs were getting hammered by the Trojans. Needless to say it angered Coach Toner and we, the 7 pranksters, went into the game and we ended up scoring 6 TD's on 6 plays. John Bray literally came into our huddle and said, "If y'all would stop running it up the middle we might stop y'all one time." I'll never forget him doing that!!!!!

Great memories!! If anyone knows what he is doing now I would love to catch up with him.

Any update on injuries, heard the Fisher boy broke his arm?

I think Fisher just sprained his wrist. The game was pretty one sided but I thought it was pretty entertaining all the same. Wilson has a monster team, no doubt they are by far the best that Collinwood will see this year. Several 300 pound linemen. I struggle to see that they are the same size school as Collinwood? The team was comparable to Franklin, Dickson, Columbia, and some other big schools Ive seen.

First problem for Collinwood was nobody knew what they were doing...you cant play football one way for all your years and expect to learn a complete new system in two weeks. Even the seniors looked confused and tentative. This will improve game by game, in fact I expect a lot less of that by next week.

Offensively the Trojans will be competitive. They have three very dynamic backs in Robertson, Lockley, and Wear. Lockley made some amazing runs and almost took a kickoff the distance. Wear ran hard and has some size and determination, a very good runner. Robertson is gonna be a real gem, just needs a few more games to to establish himself. Don't know much about the receivers cause Robertson was running for his life a lot and that effected his accuracy, though several passes were dropped, including a nice td throw.

The Trojans were horrible on defense. A huge chunk of that could be fixed with one move...what the heck was the reason they played almost all of the game without any linemen on defense?????????????? I have never heard or seen that EVER. There was not one kid on defense that was over 170 pounds...??????????? Whaaaaaaa??? Predictably Wilson ripped off long run after long run simply because there were no linemen to keep the blockers off their linebackers. The job of the defensive line is to plug up the line so the backers can run to the ball. All five of the offensive linemen for wood were good sized kids...a couple of them can surely go both ways...and all five are seniors so give the defense a chance by putting some beef on the line for crying out loud. The Trojan will get blown out every game this season with those little guys lining up to get flattened by mammoth linemen.

Coach Bart better rethink his defensive scheme or they will lose every game by fifty despite the mercy rule. You must have at least three heavies on the defensive line just to slow the surge of the offense and give your backs and backers the freedom to get to the ball. Everybody was blocked to death last night...a one legged man could have run through those holes. If you want to two platoon your linemen it would be a better idea to put a couple of the 165 pound guys at guard on the offensive line where their quickness would actually help them get to the man they need to block. Absolutely must put some big guys on defense where their size and experience would make a stunning change. Don't worry about linemen who cant get upfield...worry about linemen who get shoved downfield coach.

Other than the insane defensive strategy I see a lot of potential, especially on offense. Very talented group of backs and the line has good size and experience, just needs time to learn the new system and all the new plays. That part was easier under statom cause they only had to learn three plays all year long.

Wood has quite a few nice looking athletes that can move and have good quickness and length. They dressed 28/29 players and most got to play. A decent looking group of senior linemen with a really nice linebacker corp that just needs help desperately up front. Losing Fisher early didn't help either. It was an incredibly violent game but the Trojans didn't back down. Lots of big noisy hits and one really ugly helmet to helmet hit by Wilson (not cool)

Im looking forward to lots of excitement in the wood this year...great crowd came up from Wilson...I would love to see them play again...def a great high school team down there.

Great to have football back, gonna watch as many games as I can this fall...love it!!!!!

Edited by TheMirrorThief

on a sidenote I see where Forrest played a team comparable to Wilson in Lauderdale co...and they got sandblasted too. Maybe Forrest and Collinwood should rethink scheduling each other after all....hahah

Comparable? LCHS drilled Wilson last year. Lauderdale scored a few cheapies late. Forrest led most of the first half and that was after losing their best player early. Forrest simply made too many mental errors. You can run that mouth all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that we would have beaten y'all by 40+ (again) if not for the punk out. Hope that gate next year is worth it.