Why top 6?

newcoach215

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to bring this up in this thread.  I don't know if there has been any discussion on it and I could have missed t.

The purpose, to my understanding, to have a small school/large school individual state tournament it to increase participation in the sport.

Where is the increase coming from?

The thought that a kid would now have a better chance at a state title or state placement with the expanded format?  That seems a little short sighed.  You are increasing one extra placement in each weight class.

Will the increase come from more schools participating with wrestling teams that are not currently doing so?  Ok, that has some plausibility but still seems a little short sighted.

Other team sports, that is football and basketball, win 20-30 state championships as each kid on such teams are considered state champions.

It makes far more sense to me for the state of Tennessee to emphasize dual team competition for the increase in numbers and participation.  Leave the individual states alone. 

Lets have five divisions of dual team states; 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A.  Each smallest school gets a legitimate shot a at team dual title.  If you have 20-30 wrestlers on the mat each gets to claim a state championship.  Some larger schools have 50-70 on the mat that can claim state championship status as well as any basketball, football, golf or bowling team.

Then we have the individual states with everybody in the same tournament as God meant it to be.

But the above proposal would make far more sense to increase participation especially from schools not currently involved in wrestling.   Further it would create better competition for individuals as well.

If you want increased participation, this is the way to do it.

My two cents.

Then we have the individual states with everybody in the same tournament as God meant it to be.

Amen!

2 more cents...

Makes too much sense, sorta like elimination over the carry tournament that took some 25 years of discussion to finally implement.

If having individual state team titles are so important, why not throw everyone in one tournament and do the curve thing & keep team point totals separated by division, but let each individual have a complete feeling of accomplishment.

Edited by Sommers

1 combined all-class double elimination individual state championship with 6 medalists, but no more than 3 dual championships...public big, public small, and private, so each team could compete for a title in their respective class and even playing field.

8 medalists is far too many for a state like Tennessee with lower numbers and 3 different divisions. Just not deep enough.

How bout every kid get a little white ribbon for participation and call it a day...I'm from the d2 side and think it's crazy what some people propose the state do... A lot of private schools can't even fill the entire bracket of each weight which is sad but some schools and I'm sure public schools face the same problem is some football coaches tell their football players not to wrestle in the off season.. There has got to be another way to increase the wrestling population without giving every wrestler a medal at the state tourney