132 dec

145 dec

152 dec

285 dec

Based on common opponents and rankings D1 probably wins

195 + bonus pts

220 dec

Toss-Ups D1 probably wins at least one of these two

Who in D1 at 106 is going to beat Eli King.  Did he not beat the #1 ranked & past state champion from Bradley up at 113?

Who in D1 at 106 is going to beat Eli King.  Did he not beat the #1 ranked & past state champion from Bradley up at 113?

I used current rankings to match up the top ranked wrestlers from each division. King was not mentioned in the rankings. I suppose if he makes the cut and gets to 106 and has success there as I'm sure he would then the rankings would be updated.

Last year I believe that d2 was stronger state champ wise and may have only lost two matches if there was a dual

The topic was focused on this years match-ups since last years was discussed last year but if I remember correctly the top six weight classes 160-285 would have went to D1 last year plus 120 just to name some off the top of my head. It would have been closer last year than this year I believe.

Times change. CBHS hasn't lost a dual to a team (public or private) from the Memphis area in about 9 years. Given the way they schedule, I think saying that they would shy away from combined region and state tournament for fear of competition is just silly. In that scenario they probably wouldn't send their entire team to the state tournament like they do under the current format. But to say that they wouldn't welcome a combined state tournament because they weren't finishing in top 4 of the region 20 years ago is ridiculous.

It will never happen! 

It has been brought up in the past.  DII schools will not go back to having only a couple of state place winners every year like it used to be. Having 14  kids qualify for the state tournament helps them from a financial stand point and makes parents happy.   

Think back when the state tournament was dominated by Overton, Cleveland, McGavock, Franklin, Bradley, Central, East Ridge, and Hixson.  McCallie and Ryan were never on the map until the split and usually only  had 3 or 4 kids even qualify for the state tournament. 

You had to place in the top four in your district to make it to the Region and then place in the top four in the region to make it to the State tournament.  Only 4 kids placed in the state.  You also only had 12 weight classes...so you only had 12 state champs and 48 total place winners.  Now you'll have 42 state champs,  and 252 state placers. 

Think about that...48 total place winners before and 252 NOW.   More state place winners then there were Regional place winners in the past.  Prior to the split only 192 kids even qualified  for the state and now you have 252 "ALL-State"

Sure Baylor had some tough teams,  but when the tougher kids were knocking each "other off", you had to wrestle every match and everyone you wrestled in your bracket was tough,  it was hard for them to compete with even East Ridge & Hixson (small school division).

Wish it would happen but it won't!

FYI

1970 Notre Dame

1971 Father Ryan

1972 East Ridge

1973 Hixon

1974 Father Ryan

1975 East Ridge

1976 McCallie

1977 Father Ryan

1978 Baylor

1979 Baylor

1980 Cleveland

1981 Baylor

1982 McCallie

1983 McCallie

1984 East Ridge

1985 East Ridge

1986 McCallie

1987 Father Ryan

1988 Father Ryan

1989 Franklin

1990 McCallie

1991 McCalie

1992 McCallie

1993 McCallie

1994 Cleveland

1995 Red Bank

1996 John Overton

1997 John Overton

1998 Split between D1 & D2

17 Private School State Championships & 11 Public School State Championships

Since this turned into a history debate instead of gauging this year's teams here's some more information. If you go all the way back then its 17 championships for public schools and 20 championships for private schools before the split.

TD2 is the one that started the debate, really just throwing things against the wall without any data and hoping something would stick.  One thing everyone needs to remember is that the public schools ask for the split and the public schools are the ones that can bring everyone back together.  Lip service is cheap so let's see some action.  Get the public schools to show some courage and vote to place everyone back together in one division.