AA State Tourney Teams-Midseason Guess

sportsnerd

[quote

Region 1 hasn't sent team to state in long time. Maybe elizabethton can change that. If I were betting, hard to go against Fulton whose only district losses came when they were winning 2nd straight title in football. Other one is probably toss up ... but Alcoa is 4-0 in district play so look for them to meet Fulton for that region 2 title if guessing today. Those two teams have played very tough schedules and if past history is any indication the East Tennessee AA teams that have had good success against top teams usually beat the AA teams who have more wins against a much easier schedule once tournament time gets here and those records are only good for a district seed.

Edited by numnuts

Let's have some fun! Who will be the 8 in AA in Murfreesboro? Here's the "Nerds" picks. Don't get mad - it's just my opinion and a guess. What say ye?

Region 1/2 - Elizabethton / Gat. Pitt.

Region 3/4 - Tyner  / McMinn Central

Region 5/6 - Cheatham Cty. / CPA

Region 7/8 - Southside / Haywood

The Region 5/6 teams are the matchup I want to see.  Cheatham County has three guys on their team that could play and start at CPA.  They will not worship the floor at the feet of the Lions basketball team.  The challenge for the Cubs is going to be winning the region and then getting past the substate.  They'll likely have to play Pearl-Cohn, East Nashville, and the Marshall County/Cascade winner in a three game span.  That three game stretch would be more challenging than 5 of the 7 possible matchups that would be at the state finals.  The only exceptions would be Jackson South Side and Christ Presbyterian Academy. 

Which of these 4 CPA starters do the CC players replace? Bonds, Allsmiller, Blackwell, Richard? I know CC is good and have them in final 8. However, if they are worried about MC or Cascade and PC, they will not go far in state. East, IMO, is the only team other than CC that you mention that can be competitive in the state. I feel CC will find it's toughest test in East until state.

Which of these 4 CPA starters do the CC players replace? Bonds, Allsmiller, Blackwell, Richard? I know CC is good and have them in final 8. However, if they are worried about MC or Cascade and PC, they will not go far in state. East, IMO, is the only team other than CC that you mention that can be competitive in the state. I feel CC will find it's toughest test in East until state.

Cheatham County has already beat East Nashville.  I wouldn't say "worried" more than I would say just playing consecutively. 

Darden is better than Richard (at basketball)

Harlan is better than Bonds

Saunders is a better all around player than Allsmiller

Allsmiller and Blackwell would be the other 2 of the "starting five" on this potential "dream team"

A six point win over a East team that just had 7 guys get two practices in after football. Three of seven are starters. All but one play significant minutes. Also, one of those three starters was still held out due to concussion symptoms from their playoff game with CPA. I would not put too much stock in that one. You might very well beat them again, but I can guarantee you it will be difficult.

Cheatham County has a very good team.  However, when you dismiss other teams as not having a realistic chance to beat you, that is when you get embarrassed. East was put out in the Region Semi-finals two years ago by a Lipscomb team they had already beaten THREE times that year. Only takes one bad night.

Ask Drew and CPA about 2011.

• Upvote 1

LBD, 3 of CC players better than 3 CPA starters? HMMM, that is a very interesting observation. That would suggest that CPA won the last 2 state championships and the last almost 80 games against TN opponents with 3 players that are not as good as 3 CC starters. DO you really believe that? There already is a "reality team", we do not need to imagine a "dream team".

I am not that familiar with CC's players, but if you have starters that would beat out 3 of CPA's starter seniors, you will win the state. What offers have Harden and Saunders gotten? They should be D1 prospects if they are better than Bonds and Allsmiller who have already signed. I look forward to seeing them play.

sportsnerd I agree with you 100% about east, Pearl just seems (from what I have seen) to be inconsistent they had to go to double OT to take down MLK and was down to lipscomb by 8 going into 4th and came back and won in OT those are teams that those things should not happen to. I agree with the third team being stratford as well they can score in bunches and I think they like to be underdogs. all things a side I haven't seen CC play this year, but I would expect that to come down to them, pearl, and east. (maybe stratford gets in but it would be hard, but not impossible)

If you combine CC and CPA, I think the starting 5 would be Bonds (over Harlan), Saunders (over Richard), Allsmiller, Darden and Blackwell, with Harlan, Richard and Douglas the first 3 off the bench. CPA is better, but CC matches up well since they should be able to handle the press and Darden can match up against Blackwell better than most players at this level.

CPA is 20 points better than anyone in this Region. After watching Blackwell last night against the highly recruited (openly and fairly done) Ensworth team how can anyone in the state compete against them? Defense was swarming all over the place. CC must be really good if they have 3 guys that would start for CPA.

If you combine CC and CPA, I think the starting 5 would be Bonds (over Harlan), Saunders (over Richard), Allsmiller, Darden and Blackwell, with Harlan, Richard and Douglas the first 3 off the bench. CPA is better, but CC matches up well since they should be able to handle the press and Darden can match up against Blackwell better than most players at this level.

I have not seen CC play, but your assessment may be correct. Of course, individual talent and team play are two different things. CPA's success is a combination of good talent, good coaching, and a system that utlilizes pressure well with a bench that can support that system. Again, based on your assessment above, if 4 of the top 8 are from CC, and it is all about talent, CC should be as good as CPA. I don't think that is the case, but who knows until they play? I look forward to seeing CC play as they apparently have a great team.

Haha Harlan over Bonds not even the cheatham county players would make that pick if they take the emotion out of it. Bonds can't throw it in a ocean and the weight room seems to be closed on his off days. But he is everything you want in a solid point guard. Outside of Chiozza there is no better point in the state. CPA is 20 points better if cheathem plays there best game of the season. Saunders would have the best chance of replacing a CPA starter but even that is a stretch.