State Duals qualifying teams

CoachBlair

I've never understood the D2 divisions. How many of the 8 teams teams qualify from each region?

The East and Middle region are grouped together with 12 teams while the West region has only 7 teams. Also, the East/Middle is loaded with wrestling powers Baylor, McCallie, Father Ryan, MBA, and Brentwood Academy while the West has Christian Brothers basically all by themselves.

What is the qualifying criteria for D2? Will there be a bye again at state this year?

The current format is that the 6 D-II teams from the west wrestle for 3 spots, and the remaining D-II teams from the Middle/East wrestle for 5 spots to complete the 8-team field.  Perhaps it will be changed in the future, but the problem with qualifying largely results from the significant geographical gap in wrestling programs (D-II or otherwise) between the Memphis and Nashville areas.  As for the bye last year, that only came about because the #3 team out of the west last year elected not to attend the state tournament.  I don't have information on exactly why that decision was made, but it was highly unusual and won't be the case this year.  CBHS is 1, SBA 2, and Briarcrest 3 out of the west this year.

West how will they wrestle in the finals if they are in the same bracket ?

I assume you mean they are on the same side of the bracket. In that case then they obviously cannot both be in the finals which is a shame. Like I said in another post I'm not 100% familiar with the unusual qualifying procedures used in D2, things are done much differently in  D1.

Arguably the best two teams in D2, both of which come from the same area, are on the same side of the bracket while the two west Tennessee teams are on the other side of the bracket.

Thanks for the insight.

The current format is that the 6 D-II teams from the west wrestle for 3 spots, and the remaining D-II teams from the Middle/East wrestle for 5 spots to complete the 8-team field.  Perhaps it will be changed in the future, but the problem with qualifying largely results from the significant geographical gap in wrestling programs (D-II or otherwise) between the Memphis and Nashville areas.  As for the bye last year, that only came about because the #3 team out of the west last year elected not to attend the state tournament.  I don't have information on exactly why that decision was made, but it was highly unusual and won't be the case this year.  CBHS is 1, SBA 2, and Briarcrest 3 out of the west this year.

I was very surprised to see a bye as many were I'm sure. I never understood why another team wasn't selected to fill the spot since the qualifying team forfeited.

So who are the region and state seeds and how are they separated between regions?

West:

1. CBHS

2. SBA

3. Briarcrest

East/Middle:

1. Father Ryan ???

2. Baylor ???

3. McCallie ???

4. MBA ???

5. BA ???

I'm beginning to agree with many that the D2 region championships are completely unnecessary.

Edited by rlwest40

I believe it was MUS who was the 3rd team and from my knowledge they didn't want to wrestle a dual so since they didn't wrestle and the athletic director found out about it they were told they couldn't go to the state duals... Coming from d2 west side I wish it would change to 2 teams every year..these 2 teams have been the same 2 schools every year...

I assume you mean they are on the same side of the bracket. In that case then they obviously cannot both be in the finals which is a shame. Like I said in another post I'm not 100% familiar with the unusual qualifying procedures used in D2, things are done much differently in D1.

Arguably the best two teams in D2, both of which come from the same area, are on the same side of the bracket while the two west Tennessee teams are on the other side of the bracket.

Thanks for the insight.

Yes they are definitley the best 2 teams. I think they messed up putting Father Ryan at 1. They should be at 3 or 4.

Rlwest you do understand MBA beat mccallie... So how is mccallie ahead of MBA?

Yes I understand that MBA beat them while literally half of their starters were out.

It seems as if most, if not all, of the early D2 match-ups display some sort of sand-bagging stretegy. Probably as a result of unusual qualifying and seeding procedures.

Edited by rlwest40